Why aren't people complaining about Betemit's defense?

Sports Guy

Well, there's where we might have some disagreement.

That's fine because there is absolutely no way Betimet should be the starting third baseman over Reynolds UNLESS Reynolds himself a sis to come off of third because the defensive issues are hurting him too much at the plate. That is the only acceptable reason for him to not be at third for the time being.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Based on what different people say and the actual facts I would argue that the majority have absolutely no clue what we are getting from "the other one".

Reynolds is not the same defender he was in ARZ. Different parks play differently, and the way OPACY plays at 3B he is going to be a well below average 3B.

Reynolds is not the same defender he was in ARZ. Different parks play differently, and the way OPACY plays at 3B he is going to be a well below average 3B.

I'm not familair with AZ, but I would think OPACY should be a decent infield. I think Reynolds has just lost it (not that he was good to begin with) and gone off the edge. He'll be back at third base, but it might not be a bad idea to spell him for awhile and see what Betemit can do.

I'm not familair with AZ, but I would think OPACY should be a decent infield. I think Reynolds has just lost it (not that he was good to begin with) and gone off the edge. He'll be back at third base, but it might not be a bad idea to spell him for awhile and see what Betemit can do.

I do agree with you that it us entirely possible that he is so mentally screwed up that he can't get back to the level he was in Zona. No one can say that can't be the case.

But he still should get more time to prove that to be the case. The Orioles have nothing to lose and everything to gain by doing that right now.

If only we had better options...

I remember Mora having a really rough period over there when he first took the job, but I can't really remember anyone else having a particularly rough time here over other stadiums. Got me :/

It's very possible it's just him degrading, but making 30 errors a year isn't gonna cut it.

I do agree with you that it us entirely possible that he is so mentally screwed up that he can't get back to the level he was in Zona. No one can say that can't be the case.

But he still should get more time to prove that to be the case. The Orioles have nothing to lose and everything to gain by doing that right now.

If only we had better options...

He'll get more opportunities to play third base. Like you said, we really don't have much in the way of options here. Betemit might be the choice between chopping off a finger or a hand right now.

Here is the bigger question..since we all agree that we don't have a good defensive third baseman and that the best we can hope for is serviceable defense, what happens if June rolls around and we are still getting poor defense and not seeing improvement?

Things could get real ugly for this team on the corners.

He'll get more opportunities to play third base. Like you said, we really don't have much in the way of options here. Betemit might be the choice between chopping off a finger or a hand right now.

Yeah, but if you're going to lose a couple of fingers anyway, might as well see if there's a chance to keep the hand intact.

Here is the bigger question..since we all agree that we don't have a good defensive third baseman and that the best we can hope for is serviceable defense, what happens if June rolls around and we are still getting poor defense and not seeing improvement?

Antonelli/Andino/Flaherty. We have other options at second Tolleson/Adams. Andino is exceptional there imo.

Depends on who's doing what. If Davis is hitting and not an obvious liability, he's not moving off of first. If Roberts is back, Andino could move to third and Reynolds to DH. If Reynolds isn't hitting while Betemit is, Reynolds might be benched. If Flahrety looks good in his limited time, maybe he goes to third. Hell, if Machado is raking in Bowie, maybe Hardy moves to third and Andino to short to hold the spot for Manny next year.

We may not have a lot of great options, other than Reynolds hitting and playing servicable defense, but we do have a lot of possibilities.

Antonelli/Andino/Flaherty. We have other options at second Tolleson/Adams. Andino is exceptional there imo.

Great...sub 700 OPS third baseman! Woohoo!

Btw, not trying to be smart here, just pointing out the awful options.

It would be great if Antonelli could get bsk to where he was a few years ago.

I still wish they would have tried Reynolds in LF some in th offseason and ST.

Archived