Bundy for Justin Upton?

brianod

For me, the key is not money or control. The key to the deal is are we better off with Bundy or are we better off with Upton? Personally, I believe that boils down to whether we judge Bundy to be a sure fire ace or are we unsure at this point? Could he be the next Ben McDonald? Quality pitcher but just a good #3? Remember Ben was considered a sure fire ace at one point. Also, is Upton the Upton of 2011 or 2012? Those two decisions must be made by our front office. I'm not qualified to answer them and I frankly don't know.

I disagree with those that expect an uptick from Upton as he moves to Camden yards. Chase field is a very good hitters park and Arizona has Colorado in the division. The AL East is tougher competition. So, if I had to guess, I would say Upton's numbers would go down a bit after the trade, all other things being equal.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The bottom line is, money aside, there is risk with Bundy and Upton. Will Bundy live up the hype and expectations? Will his dominance carry over to the major league level? And will Upton build upton his 2010 breakout season or was it more of anomoly? Is he a legitimate 30 / 30 thread or is he more of a player in the Delmon Young mold?

Cuellar and Dobson were guys that other teams gave up on. McNally was a crafty lefty.

I don't agree that Cuellar and Dobson were given up on by their former teams. Cuellar did very well for a bad Houston team, was among ERA leaders, and was an All-Star. We got him for Curt Blefary, who was our starting left fielder. Dobson pitched well for San Diego, and cost us a package headlined by Tom Phoebus. Both Phoebus and Blefary were highly thought-of at the time. Those trade worked out very well for us, but I would hardly say that at the time of the trades what we gave up was considered to be without value.

Bundy could be the first true ace the O's have had since Mussina. For just a little more money than Upton would cost, we could sign LaRoche and only give up the #24 pick in this year's draft. Does LaRoche = Upton? No. But LaRoche + Bundy > Upton and pick #24.

Bundy could be the first true ace the O's have had since Mussina. For just a little more money than Upton would cost, we could sign LaRoche and only give up the #24 pick in this year's draft. Does LaRoche = Upton? No. But LaRoche + Bundy > Upton and pick #24.

The key words in your reply are highlighted above.

Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports reports that Diamondbacks have had recent conversations with the Padres, Rangers and Mariners regarding a Justin Upton trade.

The D'Backs and Padres have had on-and-off discussions about a potential Upton-for-Chase Headley swap, though not much progress has been made on that front. The Rangers wish to acquire Upton without giving up Jurickson Profar or Elvis Andrus, and are attempting to build a package around Mike Olt, who is the odd man out in Texas after Saturday's signing of Lance Berkman.

Source: FOXSports.com Jan 5 - 4:29 PM

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/mlb/1310/justin-upton

Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports reports that Diamondbacks have had recent conversations with the Padres, Rangers and Mariners regarding a Justin Upton trade.

The D'Backs and Padres have had on-and-off discussions about a potential Upton-for-Chase Headley swap, though not much progress has been made on that front. The Rangers wish to acquire Upton without giving up Jurickson Profar or Elvis Andrus, and are attempting to build a package around Mike Olt, who is the odd man out in Texas after Saturday's signing of Lance Berkman.

Source: FOXSports.com Jan 5 - 4:29 PM

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/mlb/1310/justin-upton

Honestly, I'm beginning to think Olt is th player the Os should be targeting. The Rangers seem to be doing everything they can to block and / or trade him.

Honestly, I'm beginning to think Olt is th player the Os should be targeting. The Rangers seem to be doing everything they can to block and / or trade him.

Yep, I'm beginning to wonder if they've soured on him. And if so why? I don't want to trade Bundy in a package for Stanton because it would deplete our thin system, but could we offer something for this guy that would be attractive to Texas?

Olt's name has come up in deals for Upton, Shields, and Stanton. I don't think the Rangers have soured on Olt at all. It looks like they would move him for an elite player.

Olt is a guy that I would love to aquire. I wonder what we have that Texas would take for Mike Olt? Now that they have added Berkman, what is it that they need? If we could match up for Olt, I would be all over that.

They missed out on Greinke. Pitching.

I also like the idea of trying to get Olt. I do now know a whole lot about him other then he is considered a top prospect at a premium position. Not sure what it would take to get him. I would consider trading Hammel for him but rather do a Arrieta/Britton and Avery type deal.

I also like the idea of trying to get Olt. I do now know a whole lot about him other then he is considered a top prospect at a premium position. Not sure what it would take to get him. I would consider trading Hammel for him but rather do a Arrieta/Britton and Avery type deal.

This would also open up the opportunity to trade JJ Hardy for some pitching. Maybe send him and another guy to Seattle for Smoak and Hultzen.

This would also open up the opportunity to trade JJ Hardy for some pitching. Maybe send him and another guy to Seattle for Smoak and Hultzen.

LOL. You won't get Hultzen with JJ Hardy. All hardy does is hit HR's to LF. He isn't that much of an offensive player. Put him in SEA and he will be lucky to hit 15 HR. SEA wants a bat, not a grip and rip player. Not to mention they have a GG caliber SS with Brendan Ryan. They need a leadoff hitter and OF help. Not a SS.

Archived