Jim Johnson Today, 2013

OFFNY

• Replies 997
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Did you see the inning? He can't get Brendan Ryan out who hits like a pitcher, throws a ball into CF and then throws a changeup that a an aircraft carrier wouldn't of blocked. He took the momentum away. He lost the game in the 9th. We fight back and get that performance? He hasn't gotten the job done this year. It doesn't make me feel good to say it, I like him and I think he will be the closer next year.

I watched the whole game. It's never one person or one play that wins or loses a game!

So Koji for 5M was too much? Hindsight is 20/20 of course' date=' but we'd likely be in that 2nd WC spot if Koji were here.[/quote']

He was too expensive for DD, and that's a real shame.

Of course, the last time we had Koji, the manager used the horrible Gregg as closer, for some unknown reason.

I watched the whole game. It's never one person or one play that wins or loses a game!

I said he choked in the 9th He has had a lousy season. We had all the momentum. I am tired of the it's a team game nonsense. Yes, Chen wasn't good. Look at the big picture. Our bullpen has killed the team this year. We have lost 8 games leading after 8 innings, that is mainly on JJ. His job is to get 3 outs and he hasn't been good this year, what else is there to say.

He wouldn't pitch him on Tuesday and instead went with Gausman, a rookie vs the meat of the Yankees order. Now you think he yanks JJ from his spot and puts him in?

That shows Buck as being unreasonable. The Frank answer is no one else in the bullpen has a closing resume as much as Krod.

Did you watch the same game as me? JJ does his job (i.e. no error or WP), the O's don't lose on his watch.

I am certain he's a great guy, a prince, but he's blown too many saves in 2013. It's not personal, it's about performance.

I met JJ a couple of years ago at an autograph signing with my wife and kids. Very personable, a class act. Everything you hear about him goes along with that. I still don't have an issue with him closing next year myself. He needs to put this year behind him.

If I really have to explain it to you or anyone else. Not worth my time. The fact that 5 other runs had been scored in that game should be all you need to figure it out.

I am not trying to pick a fight with you. This is a thread about JJ. However we got to that point he failed to do his job. He hasn't had a good season, I don't know what else to say. Every player gets judged on their performance.

I am certain he's a great guy, a prince, but he's blown too many saves in 2013. It's not personal, it's about performance.

The bottom line is, the economics of the game make it a pretty clear decision to non-tender him. If we tender him and he goes to arbitration, the arbitrator has to base his salary based on the last 3 year's performance, compared to similar players. Look at his 3-year ERA, save total, etc... regardless of this year, the numbers are such that he would get a salary commensurate with being one of the top 5 or 6 closers in baseball.

And there's no way we could, or should, pay him that.

So he will be non-tendered... pretty much has to be.

The bottom line is, the economics of the game make it a pretty clear decision to non-tender him. If we tender him and he goes to arbitration, the arbitrator has to base his salary based on the last 3 year's performance, compared to similar players. Look at his 3-year ERA, save total, etc... regardless of this year, the numbers are such that he would get a salary commensurate with being one of the top 5 or 6 closers in baseball.

And there's no way we could, or should, pay him that.

So he will be non-tendered... pretty much has to be.

I think you are wrong. We will see. No other closer on the roster. Buck loves him. This organization doesn't mind one year deals.

I met JJ a couple of years ago at an autograph signing with my wife and kids. Very personable, a class act. Everything you hear about him goes along with that. I still don't have an issue with him closing next year myself. He needs to put this year behind him.

You are a good poster and very reasonable guy so I am shocked at your take on this. JJ is a class act but there is no way he should be with the Baltimore Orioles after this season. They aren't going to pay him for this horse crap anyways....it is time to turn the page. If people can't see that, then they are okay with losing.

Archived