Crush Davis is hurt

weams

Orioles first baseman Chris Davis will likely avoid the disabled list, with encouraging results from Saturday morning's MRI on his right knee.

"It doesn't look like Chris Davis will go to the DL," executive vice president of baseball operations Dan Duquette said. "[The Angels'] doctors looked at the MRI and our doctors are going to be able to read the MRI on Monday, and the info I have is that Chris is feeling better than last night."

source - orioles.com

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Any chance we can get the gauys to stop lunging into first base? It doesn't help, and Davis could have pulled a Betemit.

Ok lessee if I got it:

Don't dog it going down the line like BRob (check)

Hustle like Nolan, Crush and Meat but don't lunge (check), however...

When hustling, back off when reaching the bag (and pull a hammy) (check)

Got it! :D Note to Dickerson - see above....

Ok lessee if I got it:

Don't dog it going down the line like BRob (check)

Hustle like Nolan, Crush and Meat but don't lunge (check), however...

When hustling, back off when reaching the bag (and pull a hammy) (check)

Got it! :D Note to Dickerson - see above....

You missed the one about sliding headfirst into first base.

At least with the other bases there is a risk/reward. I am not sold that sliding into first is at all helpful the vast majority of the time.

Yep it's really dumb for first. I think the studies showed you might save a very tiny fraction of time. I think you gain some control away from the tag on the other bases, especially steals. Overall though I just don't like the injury risk. I guess if you have real impact SB guy (i.e Rickey Henderson) maybe you look at it though. Like you said risk versus reward. Isn't this how Reyes got hurt?

Yep it's really dumb for first. I think the studies showed you might save a very tiny fraction of time. I think you gain some control away from the tag on the other bases, especially steals. Overall though I just don't like the injury risk. I guess if you have real impact SB guy (i.e Rickey Henderson) maybe you look at it though. Like you said risk versus reward. Isn't this how Reyes got hurt?

Reyes got hurt going into 2nd... hesitated before deciding to slide.

Going into 1B head first makes it a more difficult call for the ump, so the call often goes against the runner. He's looking at the bag, waiting to see a foot, and listening for the sound of the ball hitting the glove. All of a sudden, there's an outstretched hand where a foot was supposed to be. It's like asking the ump to make the wrong call.

Reyes got hurt going into 2nd... hesitated before deciding to slide.

Going into 1B head first makes it a more difficult call for the ump, so the call often goes against the runner. He's looking at the bag, waiting to see a foot, and listening for the sound of the ball hitting the glove. All of a sudden, there's an outstretched hand where a foot was supposed to be. It's like asking the ump to make the wrong call.

To me the only time a headfirst slide into first should even be considered is when it is to avoid a tag.

Reyes got hurt going into 2nd... hesitated before deciding to slide.l.

Right, just trying to to recall that it was a head first slide that he got injured on. Something that Reyes does all the time. Pretty sure he hurt his hand, which is probably the biggest risk. The guy is a potential MVP and he's gone for half the year... or more. I just don't think it's worth it for the small percentage of runs you may gain over a standard slide.

Right, just trying to to recall that it was a head first slide that he got injured on. Something that Reyes does all the time. Pretty sure he hurt his hand, which is probably the biggest risk. The guy is a potential MVP and he's gone for half the year... or more. I just don't think it's worth it for the small percentage of runs you may gain over a standard slide.
He slid feet first and hurt his ankle.

I know when I played I preferred to slide head first, and in fact, did it almost exclusively, with the exception of a pop-up slide, which was really just a way to slow down.

I think you have to let the players do what they are comfortable doing.

A sure way to get guys hurt is asking them to change what they've been doing their whole lives.

Archived