O's Acquire Brandon Wood

Can_of_corn

You have to like this pickup seeing how this team manages to squeeze value out of these has-been players. I remember audibly smirking at how astronomically inconsequential of a move it was to invest any time whatsoever in Nate McLouth and his .140 batting average and recent history of not being an even slightly productive baseball player. If someone would have told me then that he'd be the best leadoff hitter in baseball through early May '13 I'd probably call the police and prepare to subdue the lunatic until they arrive.

Still, unlike McLouth, Wood never did develop, so this is probably just something we can disregard entirely. But it's another reason to check Norfolk's box scores, just in case part of that talent Wood had resurfaces.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Funny thing is I was just thinking back to the Brandon Wood debates the other idea. I have no idea why, maybe my brain was trying to prepare me for this. Funny how all these guys who we've debated about, advocated acquiring, or longed to get over the years have since become Orioles: Freddy Garcia, Jair Jurrjens, Jim Thome, and now Brandon Wood. All we need is Casey Kotchman and the cycle will be complete. ;)

Haha, oh, the memories.

I also seem to recall some posters wanting to take a flier on some AAAA guys who never panned out, such as Ryan Shealy and Michael Restovich.

And then, there was the season that posters fell in love with some of the AAAA guys who the O's actually did sign but didn't get much playing time (Jon Knott, J.R. House).

OMG-how many people were talking about acquiring this guy for a decade? Too bad he will only be in a utility role. Why bother...

Wood will be used in a utility role at Norfolk, according to Executive Vice President Dan Duquette.

Can we get Dallas McPherson also to round out the list of has-been prospects. Seriously, I am fine with this though. At least he was good at one time.

He was also exceedingly, excruciatingly, mind-numbingly terrible at one time - a fairly extended time at the major league level at that. Today, May 9, 2013 Garrett Atkins would be a superior choice

Yeah, Wood would be the poster boy for heavily discounting PCL stats and being wary of minor leaguers who strike out a lot.

Bingo. K rates are very good indicators of future major league success. Guys who strike out a lot against minor league pitching will struggle against major league pitching unless a major adjustment is made. Even some of the biggest strike out guys in the majors had pretty decent K rates in the minors.

Bingo. K rates are very good indicators of future major league success. Guys who strike out a lot against minor league pitching will struggle against major league pitching unless a major adjustment is made. Even some of the biggest strike out guys in the majors had pretty decent K rates in the minors.

In my work on minor league numbers, K rates of 20 and 22% were important break points. Very, very few hitters became decent major leaguers with K rates over 22%. And by about 25%, forget it completely. Russell Branyan was basically the only example of a minor leaguer with an especially high K rate who had any success in the majors.

Archived