O's Acquire Brandon Wood

Can_of_corn

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Funny thing is I was just thinking back to the Brandon Wood debates the other idea. I have no idea why, maybe my brain was trying to prepare me for this. Funny how all these guys who we've debated about, advocated acquiring, or longed to get over the years have since become Orioles: Freddy Garcia, Jair Jurrjens, Jim Thome, and now Brandon Wood. All we need is Casey Kotchman and the cycle will be complete. ;)

Brandon Wood is a warning of how ridiculously far the O's might go with Flaherty at second. To pick just one of his miserable seasons with the Angels, in 2010 he got 243 plate appearances despite a slash line of .146 / .174 / .208 for an OPS of .382 and OPS+ of 6.

Sound familiar?

BTW 2010 was preceded by batting averages with the Angels for 2007-09 and 2011 of .152, .200, .195, and .143. They finally gave him up on waivers to the Pirates in 2011.

Despite Melewski's "hold your horses" tweet, I think things are clearly gearing up for a couple moves to be made pretty soon.

Yeah I don't think the FO would throw that nugget to the media just yet, but I think the must be clearly gearing up. Wasn't there enough MI depth anyway.

I always wanted an actual test case to see if the difference between playing in Salt Lake City and Norfolk really was 500 points of OPS.

Too bad he wasn't acquired in 2009. He hasn't been any good at any level since then.

Archived