4th Round Pick - Jonah Heim - C - Amherst HS (NY)

6'4" 189lbs DOB: 06/27/95

The Buffalo area isn't a hotbed of baseball talent, but Heim is the second premium catching prospect in two years area scouts have had to evaluate. At 6-foot-3, 189 pounds, Heim is large for a catcher, but he has plenty of upside. Despite his size, he has good pop times and is fairly agile behind the plate. Heim has a strong arm and, in time, has the potential to be at least an average defender. There are more questions surrounding his offensive ability, but he has some raw power and has a good approach at the plate. Heim is committed to Michigan State.

Heim:

“My goal this summer is to become more consistent from the left side of the plate,” he said. “Right now I’m more comfortable as a lefty, but I really feel I have more power swinging from the right.”

Scouting Video

Local article

Another article "Die-hard Yankees fan"

Tony's Initial Take: A tall, switch hitting catcher who's defense is ahead of his offense. Sound like anyone we know? Seems like a kid that a lot of teams had looks at but he lasted until the 4th round despite some nice size. He wanted to go in the first three rounds so it will be interesting to see if he's a kid that signs for slot or wants third round money to give up Michigan State. If he signs, he'll add to the organization's catching depth.

One of his pitchers, a friend named Greg, has this to say about him.

Jonah is a good friend of mine. I was 2 grades ahead of him at Amherst high school. I think he will make it. He works so hard is strong I like his arm and as a pitcher he would help me get through the days I pitched. He is a good motivator for pitchers knows what 2 say when you struggle. If i had a million bucks I would bet that Jonah will be Matt Wieters back up in lets say September 2017. His defense will be good enough 2 carry him as a backup catcher on a playoff contender. On some teams he should be able 2 start. I hope you guys like him he is a good kid and loves baseball hopefully it works out. in 5 years I know who I am voting for 4 the all star team.

Impressive find with that article. I don't know how you guys find these articles sometimes.

But just for clarity's sake, it doesn't sound like he's signed just yet, but that he has every intention to. Sounds like they've agreed to terms but just not official yet.

Impressive find with that article. I don't know how you guys find these articles sometimes.

But just for clarity's sake, it doesn't sound like he's signed just yet, but that he has every intention to. Sounds like they've agreed to terms but just not official yet.

I used to get these type of articles by entering all the draft picks in a google search and would post the more interesting stories. They would compile to an email site I set up. However I slowly got tired of doing it. It does help get the local papers story on their favorite kid. So some cool stuff can be found out there.

Archived