Does ESPN Radio actually cover on-the-field baseball anymore?

Frobby

Bump... I turned on my radio this morning, listened to Mike & Mike for 35 minutes getting ready for work and another 30 minutes during my commute, and there wasn't one mention of the ongoing playoff race. 90% of the discussion was about Trent Richardson being traded from the Browns to the Colts.

I really need to look into getting XM radio.

It's a little more work, but I highly suggest getting into podcasts. It's like radio that you chose the programming and there's plenty of choices.

It's a little more work, but I highly suggest getting into podcasts. It's like radio that you chose the programming and there's plenty of choices.

I think there's something to be said for stumbling across things you didn't know you liked. Maybe you can do that with podcasts if you have the right tools, but XM is kind of like what radio should be - a lot of quality and variety without a lot of mindless chatter or 23 commercials an hour for some kind of way to beat the IRS or improve your sex life.

The MLB and NFL networks have ESPN irrelevant to me. I watch Quickpitch every morning for my baseball highlights the night before, and try to catch parts of intentional talk in the afternoon. I can't remember the last time watched an entire or even major part of sportscenter. Once they become New York-Boston centric I was looking for anything that would take me away from them and the league networks do a great job, particularly the MLB network.

It bothers me that the programmers at MLB Network can't come up with anything else to air from 1 a.m. until Noon except repeats of the day's Quick Pitch show. It airs live at 1 a.m. each morning. Then they rerun it 12 more times until 1 p.m. the following day. Do we really need the same show to run for 13 straight hours?

There must be some baseball guys they can schedule for 3 or 4 hour blocks to do "Mike and Mike" type discussions on all things baseball. Maybe some roundtable discussions on the pennant races and the impact the previous day's games had on those races as well as the upcoming games and other baseball news.

The channel has so much potential but it's literally wasting almost half of it's broadcast day.

Archived