Boy do we need a RH bat!

El Gordo

Morse is the guy to get. DD fixed his mistake by not adding a 5th starter in the offseason and tried to make due with Arrieta,Stinson,Garcia and Gausman. Now it is time to fix the DH problem. We've tried to piece it together with a bunch of guys and it's not working. It doesn't sound like Betemit is going to be back anytime soon either. So basically the same theory as the Cubs trade applies here. My targets would be the three Seattle guys. Morse, Ibanez, and Morales. All of them are on the last year of their deals.

Maybe something like Reimold, Belfiore, and Avery or another 15-20 prospect guy for Morse.

Or really fix the problem and get Morse and Ibanez for something like Reimold, Hoes, Belfiore, Wright/Wilson/Berry.

To me as long as we make the playoffs, I don't care what we have to trade as long as we don't lose Gausman,Bundy,Schoop,Ed Rod,Hader,Delmonico,Urrutia. Fix the team. IMO everyone else are just spare parts and potential role/platoon players. And we've all seen that is what Duquette finds every year.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What's Betemit's status. Sure could use him.

Not good according to Brittany and her post yesterday:

*Steve Johnson (left oblique strain) threw 35 pitches off the mound today. Wilson Betemit is progressing slowly, doing baseball activities “as tolerated” while Steve Pearce (wrists) is getting closer to starting baseball activities, with the soreness almost completely gone.

What's Betemit's status. Sure could use him.
Not much help against LHP. 2012 OPS vs LHP .405.

Markakis .612 OPS

Machado .744

Jones .747

Davis .857

Hardy .721

McLouth .820

Wieters .709

Roberts .563

Reimold .676

So basically all you have to do against this lineup is get Davis out.

You're right. 70 points of OPS, including almost 60 of OBP, is definitely something to sneeze at.

BTW, I'm not sure but is it easier to hit in Camden Yards or Jacobs Field? I just want to make sure we shouldn't downgrade his numbers because he's hitting in an easier environment. Could you fill me in on that?

I'm not disputing that Reynolds has been better (though most of that is being carried by 2 hot weeks which is Reynolds MO). But better doesn't mean good.

Is a .707 OPS worth $6M even if that .707 is a little better than what we currently have?

I'm not disputing that Reynolds has been better (though most of that is being carried by 2 hot weeks which is Reynolds MO). But better doesn't mean good.

Is a .707 OPS worth $6M even if that .707 is a little better than what we currently have?

This thread is about picking up a RH power bat vs LHP. Would a guy with an .803 OPS vs LHP and 2M left on his contract help?

Not much help against LHP. 2012 OPS vs LHP .405.

Markakis .612 OPS

Machado .744

Jones .747

Davis .857

Hardy .721

McLouth .820

Wieters .709

Roberts .563

Reimold .676

So basically all you have to do against this lineup is get Davis out.

McLouth at .820 isn't to sneeze at.

Reimold is 3 for 11 which is .272, since back from injury.

McLouth at .820 isn't to sneeze at.

Reimold is 3 for 11 which is .272, since back from injury.

Whoop de doo. So all they have to do is get Davis out and keep McL out of scoring position. How many of those 3 hits were IF hits for Nolan? I really don't get it with the Reimold kool aid drinkers.

This thread is about picking up a RH power bat vs LHP. Would a guy with an .803 OPS vs LHP and 2M left on his contract help?

I think this all arose out of the comment "Reynolds sure would have helped this season," which is a different discussion. I agree he represents an intriguing option as a platoon DH for the remainder of the season. There is a question of whether he would want to be in a platoon, but I'd certainly welcome him back in that capacity. Lamenting not bringing him back in the offseason is a different point.

Whoop de doo. So all they have to do is get Davis out and keep McL out of scoring position. How many of those 3 hits were IF hits for Nolan? I really don't get it with the Reimold kool aid drinkers.

There is a happy medium between thinking he has no business being on an ML roster and being a "kool-aid drinker" (which seems to be your favorite term).

Nearly everyone on here thought we needed a 5th starter and a righty stick as the Os broke spring training. When that didn't happen we said, "Wait 'til the deadline." Well, we got the respectable starter. How effective he'll be remains to be seen.

If the Orioles follow their S.O.P., we'll get somebody, and he'll be just barely good enough to give us hope for a wildcard.

There is a happy medium between thinking he has no business being on an ML roster and being a "kool-aid drinker" (which seems to be your favorite term).
It's not my favorite term, it's the only one I can risk using and not get an infraction. By it I mean that I think people are in denial about a player's potential to help the team. I am in no way alluding to Jim Jones.

It's not my favorite term, it's the only one I can risk using and not get an infraction. By it I mean that I think people are in denial about a player's potential to help the team. I am in no way alluding to Jim Jones.

I know what you meant by it, and for the record it is an allusion to Jim Jones in the way you use it (i.e. in the cult of x, in this case believing in Nolan).

I'm not offended by it, just observing that you use it a lot and in some ways it insults the thinking of those who don't agree with your opinion which is pretty far to one side of the spectrum of possibilities in all honestly. What I was trying to get at is that someone can reasonably believe that Reimold could help this team at the major league level. Now, if someone expects him to do what he did to start off 2012, by all means, label them a kool-aid drinker. I just think there is plenty of opinions on what Nolan is capable of between thinking he has no business being here and must be DFA's immediately and thinking he's awesome and not a problem for this team.

I know what you meant by it, and for the record it is an allusion to Jim Jones in the way you use it (i.e. in the cult of x, in this case believing in Nolan).

I'm not offended by it, just observing that you use it a lot and in some ways it insults the thinking of those who don't agree with your opinion which is pretty far to one side of the spectrum of possibilities in all honestly. What I was trying to get at is that someone can reasonably believe that Reimold could help this team at the major league level. Now, if someone expects him to do what he did to start off 2012, by all means, label them a kool-aid drinker. I just think there is plenty of opinions on what Nolan is capable of between thinking he has no business being here and must be DFA's immediately and thinking he's awesome and not a problem for this team.

To allude is to imply something. What one is implying is known only to the implier. If one thinks they understand the implication they do so by inference. That is a subjective process. There are two commonly accepted allusions for Kool ade drinking. One is Ken Kesey's Kool ade acid test, and the other is Jonestown. Kesey predates Jonestown considerably as do I, and it is that sense that I employ the term. That is: If someone "drank the Kool-Aid" then they are "tripping," i.e., hallucinating and are removed from reality". Should you choose to interpret another way that's your problem.

To allude is to imply something. What one is implying is known only to the implier. If one thinks they understand the implication they do so by inference. That is a subjective process. There are two commonly accepted allusions for Kool ade drinking. One is Ken Kesey's Kool ade acid test, and the other is Jonestown. Kesey predates Jonestown considerably as do I, and it is that sense that I employ the term. That is: If someone "drank the Kool-Aid" then they are "tripping," i.e., hallucinating and are removed from reality". Should you choose to interpret another way that's your problem.

Now you're just going down a semantic rabbit hole. In either case it implies that everyone else who doesn't agree with you is removed from reality or is out of their mind. The initial point remains that the subject of Reimold is not binary. There are more positions than thinking either A) he has no place on this team at the major league level and B) "drinking the kool-aid"

No one ever is, that's the thing. The term has ascended beyond that moment in history, it's now a part of regular sports vernacular and people being offended by it should really pick their battles a little more. JMO.

Not offended by the term being a part of the vernacular. Just disputing the notion that anyone who doesn't think Reimold is completely useless is "drinking the kool aid" (in the common sports usage).

Archived