In on Carlos Beltran?

Babypowder

Well if we could draft right i would agree with you.

You got me there. DD and AM before came in preaching player development but I've yet to see any improvement. I'm afraid this 2 year window is going to lead to another 15 year losing land scape and it doesn't have to be that way. Besides, I have a hard seeing a championship when Chen, Norris, and Gonzo make up 3/5 of your rotation.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't disagree. But when you sit back and wait for the market to be set, that's the decisions you have to face. Maybe if they would actually step up and get a deal done before that happens, it wouldn't come to that.

Yeah but Beltran might not be the guy the Orioles are really looking for. We can sit here and say, "sure, that would work," but the Orioles might look at the age and go "not worth it."

We might disagree with that premise, but it is what it is.

The market is setting itself, but the Orioles really aren't in that market. If the Orioles really are players for Beltran and are dragging their feet, then we have something to complain about. However, Beltran has been linked to the Royals, for significant dollars, for a bit now and it is only December fourth.

If Beltran was sitting there on February fourth to be had, then we can complain about foot dragging.

Royals trade for OF Norichika Aoki, are they worried that the O's are IN

Another thing, what happens to Billy Butler with all these outfielders ?

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Royals Acquire Norichika Aoki <a href="http://t.co/jAccb6gCGG">http://t.co/jAccb6gCGG</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23mlb&src=hash">#mlb</a></p>— MLB Trade Rumors (@mlbtraderumors) <a href="

">December 5, 2013</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Wow, that is a great deal for the Royals. Aoki is a guy I had my eye on, but I would have thought the Brewers would keep him at $1 million at least through the All Star break. I am shocked that all they got back was a 3.85 ERA minor league pitcher. Too bad we didn't have Jake Arrieta to offer. Aoki would have been a great fit for us. Look out for the Royals, they could be sneaky good next year.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Sources: <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Royals&src=hash">#Royals</a> have not offered Beltran $48 million for three years. To get to that level, ownership likely would need to intervene.</p>— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) <a href="

">December 6, 2013</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

If $16 million per year is accurate for Beltran over 3 years and teams don't want to go the third year maybe the Orioles can go $16 for each of the first two years and maybe $13 million the final year. It would be a $45 million dollar contract over three years and average $15 million. Would this be enough to get Beltran to sign with the Orioles? He is a professional hitter and has said he likes the idea of DHing and playing the OF. I think he would maintain his power numbers with our short RF potch. I'm not concerned with him dropping his HR counts very much over this time period. Our biggest worry would be how AJ would handle Beltran making more than him in 2014 and 2015. In 2016 he would make more than Beltran.

AJ's Contract is as follows;

Adam Jones cf

6 years/$85.5M (2013-18)

■6 years/$85.5M (2013-18)

■signed extension with Baltimore 5/26/12 (largest deal in club history)

■$2M signing bonus

■13:$8.5M, 14:$13M, 15:$13M, 16:$16M, 17:$16M, 18:$17M

■may earn additional $6M in performance bonuses

■award bonuses, including $75,000 for All-Star selection

■no-trade protection

If $16 million per year is accurate for Beltran over 3 years and teams don't want to go the third year maybe the Orioles can go $16 for each of the first two years and maybe $13 million the final year. It would be a $45 million dollar contract over three years and average $15 million. Would this be enough to get Beltran to sign with the Orioles? He is a professional hitter and has said he likes the idea of DHing and playing the OF. I think he would maintain his power numbers with our short RF potch. I'm not concerned with him dropping his HR counts very much over this time period.
Am I the only one who thinks when Duquette is allocating his marbles that he doesn't value Beltran more than Jones? Nor should he?

My first post a few minutes ago was edited to include AJ's contract terms. Their contracts would be close over the next three years and AJ's kicks up to $16 mill per year in 2016 and 2017 and $17 mill in 2018. He is being well paid over the next 5 years. Beltran would make $3 million more than AJ over the next three years if Beltran would agree to $45 million over 3 years. I think this is a factor in DD's making offers to free agents. Would he offer Garza three years for $45 million and possibly sign him? He wants $16 mill per year. How would AJ react to a guy who pitches every five days making more than him over the next three years? What if DD offers Choo the same deal. He supposedly wants $18 million+ for more than three years and it's doubtful he would sign for $15 million per year.

Am I the only one who thinks when Duquette is allocating his marbles that he doesn't value Beltran more than Jones? Nor should he?

You have to adjust AJ's contract for baseball salary inflation. If AJ were signing that contract today, he'd be getting more.

My first post a few minutes ago was edited to include AJ's contract terms. Their contracts would be close over the next three years and AJ's kicks up to $16 mill per year in 2016 and 2017 and $17 mill in 2018. He is being well paid over the next 5 years. Beltran would make $3 million more than AJ over the next three years if Beltran would agree to $45 million over 3 years. I think this is a factor in DD's making offers to free agents. Would he offer Garza three years for $45 million and possibly sign him? He wants $16 mill per year. How would AJ react to a guy who pitches every five days making more than him over the next three years? What if DD offers Choo the same deal. He supposedly wants $18 million+ for more than three years and it's doubtful he would sign for $15 million per year.

I hope AJ is more concerned with winning than with who is making more money than he. When he reaches free agency, he'll get his payday.

I think AJ'S contract is a factor in DD's offers to free agents and players possibly coming here in trades. Remember when Cal Ropken was the highest paid Oriole and we had a problem with paying anyone more than him? I think the same problem could happen with AJ. You are correct. It should be more about winning but players have huge egos and they do think about what other players are making.

AJ has some interesting features in his contract that will allow him to make more money during the contract;

■may earn additional $6M in performance bonuses

■award bonuses, including $75,000 for All-Star selection

It looks like I hit Beltran's contract amount. Earlier tonight I projected the Orioles offering him a 3 year deal for $45 million since no teams apparently were willing to offer him a third year. It seemed like the right amount to me and apparently Beltran was okay with the amount. Unfortunately it was with the NYY instead of the Orioles.

Archived