Bedard to Halos??

Halos08

Right...This Angels (supposed) offer isn't nearly as good.

Rivera is a throw in at this point because of the OF/DH situation in Anaheim.

Saunders is another back of the rotation guy...Something we have plenty of.

As a group -too old and not enough talent and upside for me to believe this...

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rivera is one hell of a throw-in then. If he's fully healthy he can post a .300/.350/.520 line, which is very nice.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/r/riverju01.shtml

As for Saunders, he gives us more security to deal our young pitching prospects for young bats.

That's the part that makes me think this as well. I do not think that's a bad deal in theory though. You could argue that Wood=Jones (I like Jones a little better). Morales has 5 years of service time left and put up an .812 OPS. Saunders was a 12th pick overall and is at least a 4-5 starter with another 5 years of service time. Chris Tillman might have a higher ceiling but he's 50/50 to even reach the majors. Aybar was a top prospect. He still has the upside to be a good ML SS. Rivera is the one I question. He put up a very good season in 2006 but is injury prone and is a FA after this year. All of these guys are expendable by the Angels (even Wood) but it doesn't make sense for Aybar & Wood to go in the same deal. Does it? :confused:

I agree with all of this. The Angels would be left with Izteris (sp?) and Figgins to play SS and 3rd base and a yet to be determined player as a utility guy. Could they have made this trade -- maybe, but I would be surprised if they included both Aybar and Woods.

No one has said that is what the Mariners are offering. It is pure speculation.

Yeah, the same guy who posted the Angels rumor said that was the Mariners offer and that the O's want Triunfel instead of Tillman. Now, let me say that I don't believe that part any more than I believe the first part. But if they were both true, why would we take the LAA package?

Rivera is one hell of a throw-in then. If he's fully healthy he can post a .300/.350/.520 line, which is very nice.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/r/riverju01.shtml

As for Saunders, he gives us more security to deal our young pitching prospects for young bats.

Rivera is good but for what I am hearing, there is a good chance Murton is in the BRob deal...Makes no sense to get both.

Only way this deal makes any sense at all is if we have gotten the Cubs to do a Pie/BRob deal.

Clement, Jones, Tillman and Sherill is a good offer for Bedard, and one I doubt we'd turn down.

That is a good offer. But if the offer was Jones, Tillman, Sherill, and Tui/Chen/Butler it is debatable between LAA.

You comparing one offer (LAA) which is less potential, but lower risk. The Seattle one is pretty much all risk.

Jones v. Wood - debatable, would go for Jones in end. If Aybar is coming over you assume Wood is at 3rd reducing his value.

Tillman v. Saunders - Tillman has great potential but he is in A. Agree we have a lot of potential Saunders, need to take a risk

Chen v. Aybar - Aybar wins

Sherrill v. Morales and Rivera - a wash, might give slight edge to LAA. we don't know if we could get Linebridge.

Maybe Rivera is a throw-in in their eyes, but he is definitely someone we can use in our OF. He's a definite upgrade over some joker like Payton and had a very good 2006 season.

That is a good offer. But if the offer was Jones, Tillman, Sherill, and Tui/Chen/Butler it is debatable between LAA.

You comparing one offer (LAA) which is less potential, but lower risk. The Seattle one is pretty much all risk.

Jones v. Wood - debatable, would go for Jones in end. If Aybar is coming over you assume Wood is at 3rd reducing his value.

Tillman v. Saunders - Tillman has great potential but he is in A. Agree we have a lot of potential Saunders, need to take a risk

Chen v. Aybar - Aybar wins

Sherrill v. Morales and Rivera - a wash, might give slight edge to LAA. we don't know if we could get Linebridge.

I'm not sure Jones v. Wood is that debatable. Wood's strikeout numbers are appalling.

Aybar is a bit better than a .700 OPS player in the minors and significantly worse in the majors (around .575 in a pretty decent sample size), plus his stolen base percentage hurts his team.

Rivera is good but for what I am hearing, there is a good chance Murton is in the BRob deal...Makes no sense to get both.

Only way this deal makes any sense at all is if we have gotten the Cubs to do a Pie/BRob deal.

Agree, Pie has to be in the deal for BRob if you make this deal.

Don't know what the Cubs could offer that we wouldn't have if we picked up the players from LAA. Murton would be the player that I would want, and with this deal we don't need him.

Wondering if we are sending some of our OF/DH's to LAA because of 40 man roster issues. But do they need them, that is why they are sending Rivera?

Yeah we would have to get Pie now.

Aybar 2b

Pie CF

Markakis RF

Scott LF

Rivera DH

Wood SS

Hernandez C (Wieters in 2009)

Morales 1B

Mora/Moore 3B

Archived