Hardy confused from lack of extension talk

SerenityNow

I think he's gotta be looking at the deal Peralta got as a comp and rightfully so. If he's looking for that much, I tell JJ it's been fun and let him part with a hearty handshake (and a QO).

Stephen Drew did not get his deal. And he never will now. He is J.J. competition if he is free.

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's fair to say that Peralta is a good comp for JJ. Over the last four years Peralta has averaged 4.0 fWAR compared to to JJ's 3.9 and rWAR has JJ 3.7 compared to a 3.4 for Peralta.

The problem is as weams notes, Dan probably won't pay for his decline. I don't want to pay close to an AAV of $13 mil in what will be his age 36 season. If they are willing to go four years he'll have to take less.

It's fair to say that Peralta is a good comp for JJ. Over the last four years Peralta has averaged 4.0 fWAR compared to to JJ's 3.9 and rWAR has JJ 3.7 compared to a 3.4 for Peralta.

The problem is as weams notes, Dan probably won't pay for his decline. I don't want to pay close to an AAV of $13 mil in what will be his age 36 season. If they are willing to go four years he'll have to take less.

Peralta was not worth his deal. I think J.J. is looked to be less than completely healthy as well.

You think Schoop can handle SS?

Maybe Parades. Looks like he's played 73 games at short over the years.

There has to be some dropoff somewhere over the next 2 offseasons. We are not going to sign all of Hardy, Markakis, Wieters, and Davis to market rate contracts ... oh yeah, and toss in Cruz. We have a great great team here, talent-wise, and with our budget we will not be able to keep it intact. We had some good threads on this topic last winter - which of those guys should be the priority to sign and which signings would be your preference.

Anyway, back on point, maybe they see something in Parades like they see in Schoop, and they'd be willing to let him play to see if he can reach whatever potential they see in him? We have to downsize somewhere. I think Caleb has to a large extent assuaged team concerns about Wieters leaving. As much as Buck loves him I don't see us signing him. Maybe if they can't get JJ to bite at another home discount they see what they have in Parades (assuming he performs for us down the stretch).

At 4.0 WAR per year? Maybe not at the end, but he's more than earning it right now.
Hardy has averaged 3.7 W the last 4 years. He won't do that the next 4, but is it unrealistic to think he might average 2.5 and play plus defense? So if you pay him 12 M per you should be making out OK.

I get concerned at those numbers there. I figure he is worth the qualifying offer next year. Ten the year after, and maybe Eight after that. So to me an overpay would be 3/35 right?

I don't think it's an overpay but JJ's health does concern me. I could easily see him bounce back with power numbers we are more accustomed to seeing and putting up seasons of 3.5-4.0, 2.5, and 2.0 so the 3/35 isn't far off if I'm JJ's agent.

Maybe Parades. Looks like he's played 73 games at short over the years.

There has to be some dropoff somewhere over the next 2 offseasons. We are not going to sign all of Hardy, Markakis, Wieters, and Davis to market rate contracts ... oh yeah, and toss in Cruz. We have a great great team here, talent-wise, and with our budget we will not be able to keep it intact. We had some good threads on this topic last winter - which of those guys should be the priority to sign and which signings would be your preference.

Anyway, back on point, maybe they see something in Parades like they see in Schoop, and they'd be willing to let him play to see if he can reach whatever potential they see in him? We have to downsize somewhere. I think Caleb has to a large extent assuaged team concerns about Wieters leaving. As much as Buck loves him I don't see us signing him. Maybe if they can't get JJ to bite at another home discount they see what they have in Parades (assuming he performs for us down the stretch).

I'm starting to wonder if there's a chance Duquette decides to non-tender Wieters. That would be Duquette-like. Matt is my favorite player, but if Joseph is doing the job…you never know.

The money could be used in part to re-sign Hardy.

I don't think it's an overpay but JJ's health does concern me. I could easily see him bounce back with power numbers we are more accustomed to seeing and putting up seasons of 3.5-4.0, 2.5, and 2.0 so the 3/35 isn't far off if I'm JJ's agent.

He's going to have a pick attached. I'd take the 3/35 and keep my client happy if I am J.J.'s agent.

Hardy has averaged 3.7 W the last 4 years. He won't do that the next 4, but is it unrealistic to think he might average 2.5 and play plus defense? So if you pay him 12 M per you should be making out OK.

The 4.0 was in reference to Peralta, not JJ. And your number for JJ is rWAR. He's averaged 3.9 fWAR over the last four.

Archived