Chris Davis tested positive for amphetamines. (25 Game Ban)

OriolesManiac88

Why did he do it?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Why did he do it?

• ADHD
    • Performance

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Buck's big concern with Davis suspension is how some people will "connect the dots." Not steroids. But he knows people will make that jump</p>? Roch Kubatko (@masnRoch) <a href="
">September 12, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Everyone is going to make that leap... and why shouldn't they? Davis just admitted he took something knowingly didn't have an exemption!

We can analyze this all we want...but the fact is Joe Public is going to look at his performance numbers and jump right to that conclusion and there is NOTHING Davis can say or do to affect that.

• Replies 806
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Two of my kids have ADHD and take (or have taken) Adderall. It really helped them a lot with their ability to stay focused and on task. I suspect I'd be diagnosed with ADHD myself if I was ever tested, but they never did that when I was a kid.

As to Davis, last year he used Adderall within the rules and posted a 1.004 OPS. This year they took it away from him and he posted a .704 OPS. You have to be concerned that he really cannot perform well without it. Maybe he got desperate sometime in the last month or two and started taking it again.

This is kind of what I figured happened.

And I get that it's bad press, attention, mojo, etc... whatever. We'll really see the what the leaders of this team are made of now. They've won 86 games without two of their best players to this point. Nick, Jones, Tillman.... time to step up your respective games.

Guest rochester
Not really. Adderall gives you the focus x 100 of a few cups of coffee' date=' but you aren't all strung out when taking it like you would be if you just chugged a bunch of coffee.[/quote']

thanks!

If recent history holds true, then hitting is overrated in the post-season. Pitching is what wins.

Another interesting note as people cringe at the idea of Johnson playing third...

Donaldson, Moustakas, Castellanos are the 3 worst defensive 3B in the AL this year...and the latter two arent exactly offensive juggernauts. Basically, we just evened up with the rest of the AL playoff contenders when it comes to 3B defense.

The O's don't have a strikeout oriented pitching staff.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>This is Davis' 2nd positive test, which is why there's 25-game suspension</p>— Roch Kubatko (@masnRoch) <a href="

Two of my kids have ADHD and take (or have taken) Adderall. It really helped them a lot with their ability to stay focused and on task. I suspect I'd be diagnosed with ADHD myself if I was ever tested, but they never did that when I was a kid.

As to Davis, last year he used Adderall within the rules and posted a 1.004 OPS. This year they took it away from him and he posted a .704 OPS. You have to be concerned that he really cannot perform well without it. Maybe he got desperate sometime in the last month or two and started taking it again.

So what does "within the rules" mean? Did the rules change, or did he have a prescription? Sorry, I haven't read the whole 20 pages of this thread that have popped up in the last hour.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Source: Chris Davis had an exemption in the past for using adderall. But his exemption was denied in 2014.</p>— Brett Hollander (@BrettHollander) <a href="

I hate to be a special kind of jerk about this, but maybe it's a positive?

I mean, his homers have been big but we are talking about a .190 hitter here. With our other power guys, replacing him with an OBP type might not be a bad trade at this point.

True. Could rally the team. We did pick up a good player in De Aza.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Source: Chris Davis had an exemption in the past for using adderall. But his exemption was denied in 2014.</p>— Brett Hollander (@BrettHollander) <a href="

He should have paid for a more convincing doctor.

Wonder if that is the result of his terrible year at the plate.

But if he can't focus because he has a genuinely diagnosed disorder...

See that is the issue here. Say Davis is one of the people that have genuine ADHD. Working with students I see undiagnosed stuff all the time and the ADD kids simply can't focus. Not that they are hyper or bad, but it as is the channel keeps changing in their head all the time.

Just what if, Davis genuinely has that issue? So yes, the drug did help him focus at the plate - but also in every other aspect of his life as well?

This of course is a hypothetical as we don't know the whole story. But that is pretty much the only situation that doesn't make Davis into someone trying to get over on the league.

Archived