Pre-season Draft Rankings...

This is just a quick look at the guys I'll be previewing and the order I've ranked them at least as the season nears. These rankings are highly likely to change during the coming season, and may not be overly recognizeable by draft time. ;)

1. Pedro Alvarez, College 3B

2. Brian Matusz, College LHSP

3. Eric Hosmer, High School 1B

4. Aaron Crow, College RHSP

5. Justin Smoak, College 1B

6. Tim Beckham, High School SS

7. Tim Melville, High School RHSP

8. Kyle Skipworth, High School C

9. Yonder Alonso, College 1B/DH

10. Aaron Hicks, High School RHSP/OF

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is just a quick look at the guys I'll be previewing and the order I've ranked them at least as the season nears. These rankings are highly likely to change during the coming season, and may not be overly recognizeable by draft time. ;)

1. Pedro Alvarez, College 3B

2. Brian Matusz, College LHSP

3. Eric Hosmer, High School 1B

4. Aaron Crow, College RHSP

5. Justin Smoak, College 1B

6. Tim Beckham, High School SS

7. Tim Melville, High School RHSP

8. Aaron Hicks, High School RHSP/OF

9. Yonder Alonso, College 1B/DH

10. Daniel Webb, High School RHSP

I sent an email to Zrebiec to try and get him to convince Jordan to try and get Beckham. He said that for whatever reasons, they're actually considering him above Alvarez.

Greg, your early Top 10 list is as good as any other. This seems like the right thread for throwing out names for 11-20+, perhaps with some emphasis on who might crack Greg's Top 10.

Isaac Galloway: High School OF

Early projections are as a CF'er good at every facet of the game.

Brandon Crawford: College SS/3B

Everyone's listing him at SS, but even his college coach is playing him more at 3B. He's in a few internet Top 10's that I've found, but I agree with Greg. He doesn't crack the Top 10 and certainly isn't a consideration for the fourth pick imo.

Gerrit Cole: High School RHSP

From what I'm reading, he's the most likely to crack Greg's Top 10. PGCrosschecker just named him the "Best pitcher in the land", aka the #1 HS pitching prospect. (No, I don't have a subscription to pgcrosschecker).

Harold Martinez: High School SS/3B

Plays mostly SS now, but projects to 3B (every list that I've seen lists him as a 3B). Excellent offensively and defensively. Another serious contender for Top 10 status.

Alex Meyer: High School RHP

At 6'7", "Bubba" seems to fit what MacPhail likes. He's an intimidating power pitcher with good control and movement on his fastball.

Jacob Thompson: College RHP

He's a polished college pitcher with a wicked curveball. He was 11-0 with a 1.50 ERA and a 0.97 WHIP as a sophomore at UVA.

There's plenty more. Man, these 'experts' have their work cut out for them.

I sent an email to Zrebiec to try and get him to convince Jordan to try and get Beckham. He said that for whatever reasons, they're actually considering him above Alvarez.

Wonderful! I have been trying to tell people about Beckham and how the O's should be targeting him if he falls to them. I would be ecstatic if the O's draft him. At least that's how I feel now. Things could change since there's still a season to play :)

Until there is more parity between the bats and the arms down on the farm, I say take the best bat. Unless they are dead certain they can get Tex, that would mean taking a 1st baseman. Hosmer , alonso, alverez, smoak, in whatever order they finish the season. Yeah, I'd put alverez at 1st also. If beckham is really outstanding and they have no reservations about his bat, that would be exception the the above.

Until there is more parity between the bats and the arms down on the farm, I say take the best bat. Unless they are dead certain they can get Tex, that would mean taking a 1st baseman. Hosmer , alonso, alverez, smoak, in whatever order they finish the season. Yeah, I'd put alverez at 1st also. If beckham is really outstanding and they have no reservations about his bat, that would be exception the the above.

sorry, I left out Martinez. Gold glove quality fielder to consider (harold)

Greg, your early Top 10 list is as good as any other. This seems like the right thread for throwing out names for 11-20+, perhaps with some emphasis on who might crack Greg's Top 10.

Isaac Galloway: High School OF

Early projections are as a CF'er good at every facet of the game.

Brandon Crawford: College SS/3B

Everyone's listing him at SS, but even his college coach is playing him more at 3B. He's in a few internet Top 10's that I've found, but I agree with Greg. He doesn't crack the Top 10 and certainly isn't a consideration for the fourth pick imo.

Gerrit Cole: High School RHSP

From what I'm reading, he's the most likely to crack Greg's Top 10. PGCrosschecker just named him the "Best pitcher in the land", aka the #1 HS pitching prospect. (No, I don't have a subscription to pgcrosschecker).

Harold Martinez: High School SS/3B

Plays mostly SS now, but projects to 3B (every list that I've seen lists him as a 3B). Excellent offensively and defensively. Another serious contender for Top 10 status.

Alex Meyer: High School RHP

At 6'7", "Bubba" seems to fit what MacPhail likes. He's an intimidating power pitcher with good control and movement on his fastball.

Jacob Thompson: College RHP

He's a polished college pitcher with a wicked curveball. He was 11-0 with a 1.50 ERA and a 0.97 WHIP as a sophomore at UVA.

There's plenty more. Man, these 'experts' have their work cut out for them.

These are guys that are in the first-round consideration list I've compiled, with Harold Martinez at #11.

I am going to do a single thread 11-30, virtually encompassing the remaining 1st rounders. :)

Greg,

Who do you see falling to us or should I say, what is your mock draft?

I was going to wait until the amateur season was well under way for my first mock, but as a (very) preliminary shoot...

1. Tampa Bay Rays > Pedro Alvarez, 3B, Vandebilt

2. Pittsburgh Pirates > Brian Matusz, LHSP, San Diego

3. Kansas City Royals > Aaron Crow, RHSP, Missouri

4. Baltimore Orioles > Tim Beckham, SS, High School (GA)

5. San Francisco Giants > Justin Smoak, 1B, South Carolina

6. Florida Marlins > Eric Hosmer, 1B, High School (FL)

7. Cincinnati Reds > Tim Melville, RHSP, High School (MO)

8. Chicago White Sox > Yonder Alonso, 1B/DH, Miami

9. Washington Nationals > Harold Martinez, 3B, High School (FL)

10. Houston Astros > Aaron Hicks, RHSP/OF, High School (CA)

Greg, i know its earily but if we were sitting at #1 who would you take? What do you know about the Edward Salcedo kid? Where do you think we would go in the draft if he was eligible? Any chance at all you think we get interested? As always Thanks

Hypothetically, were we at #1 and basing my pick on what I/we know now, I'd take Pedro Alvarez.

I know that Salcedo is a desirable 16 year old free agent SS with serious upside that many scouts are excited about. He looks 19 or so body wise, standing 6'3 and weighing 190 lbs, and has been compared to one Alex Rodriguez. Oh yeah, Scott Boras is his rep.

As always, there is a level of distrust among some in the scouting community as concerns the validity of Salcedo's age, as with the recent history of mainly latino players falsifying age documents and receiving a far larger bonus based of a 2-3 year age gap. Whether or not Salcedo is 16 or 19 is a matter of importance certainly, and some teams may have shied away, while others seem satisfied that he is what he/his handlers claim to be; 16. The Yankees and Indians seem to be among those attempting to sign him, and Boras is asking 4-5 million. One thing is apparent; Salcedo will be playing in the minors in '08.

Were he draft eligible, he'd go in the top 10.

As far as gauging the Orioles interest in Edward, I tend to be skeptical, as there has been little to no known inquiry/interest on our part, at least that has been reported.

Thanks Greg. I absolutely love your commentary and am extremely excited for more of your draft analysis. Love the Beckham pick. Any ideas of who we could be looking at in other rounds? Its probally way to early. Anyone you are high on that may be around in the 2nd-3rd? Im also excited to hear your thoughts on the Brob trade, if one ever happens. Again thanks Brutha.

Thanks Greg. I absolutely love your commentary and am extremely excited for more of your draft analysis. Love the Beckham pick. Any ideas of who we could be looking at in other rounds? Its probally way to early. Anyone you are high on that may be around in the 2nd-3rd? Im also excited to hear your thoughts on the Brob trade, if one ever happens. Again thanks Brutha.

I am fond of High School bats in the early rounds, at least I often do, and this year if we were to grab Beckham, Alvarez, Smoak, Hosmer or any other touted positional prospect we could still take another in round 2. I base these thoughts on the good core of young arms and far less positional strength in our system, however Jordan will/should take the best player on the board regardless of position.

I like a few kids that could be real good, although not projected as first rounders at this juncture, they could move into 2nd-3rd round consideration, if not higher;

Cutter Dykstra 2B R-R 6-0 175 High School (CA) Yes, Lenny's son. Hard nosed, with a good bat.

Kyle Long 1B L-L 6-7 280 High School (VA) Yes, Howie's son. Monstrous power.

Brett Mooneyham lhp L-L 6-4 215 High School (CA) Projectable lefty could go in round one quite easily if he pitches to his considerable projection.

Cutter Dykstra 2B R-R 6-0 175 High School (CA) Yes, Lenny's son. Hard nosed, with a good bat.

Kyle Long 1B L-L 6-7 280 High School (VA) Yes, Howie's son. Monstrous power.

Brett Mooneyham lhp L-L 6-4 215 High School (CA) Projectable lefty could go in round one quite easily if he pitches to his considerable projection.

All three look very enticing. Not 100% sure but I think I read somewhere that Long commited to play both Football and baseball for FSU. I hear he is a outstanding OL prospect as well. I mean look at his brother he could very well go #1 overall to Miami this year. Dykstra is def a position of need for our system. Mooneyham looks very solid as well. Great Great info Greg. Thanks

Archived