Yankees to Release A.Rodriguez?

weams

If he's released, the claiming team only has to pay him the minimum, right? Yanks pay the big bucks.

I don't think that is right. I'm pretty sure that if you claim him, you assume his contract. No team will claim him. Once he passes thru release waivers, as I understand it, then he can be signed as a free agent for the minimum and the Yankees owe him the big bucks.

I don't think that is right. I'm pretty sure that if you claim him, you assume his contract. No team will claim him. Once he passes thru release waivers, as I understand it, then he can be signed as a free agent for the minimum and the Yankees owe him the big bucks.

This is correct.

At least that will shut up silly speculation around here. :P

I hate to say it but I fully expect him to come back and rake.

He wasn't raking when he came back from injury in 2013, contrary to what some at the time might have led you to believe, which will be over a year and a half ago come Opening Day. Plus, he'll be over a year older, having played no games against real competition with a bum hip. I'm not saying it's impossible, but the odds are strongly against him. I'd put more money on Mark T. or Carlos Beltran coming back and ripping it before I would A-Rod.

Archived