Yankees to Release A.Rodriguez?

weams

http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidlariviere/2014/12/20/yankees-appear-ready-to-release-alex-rodriguez-by-memorial-day/

It?s almost as if they are giving him a good-faith gesture in allowing him an opportunity to show he can still hit after a year-long suspension for PEDs. However, if he?s hitting .220 with a homer and 10 RBI in the middle of May, the real plan is to hand him his walking papers by Memorial Day and eat the remaining $60 million or so on his contract which runs through 2017.

As long as they gotta pay him I don't care what they do. Make him earn his keep selling peanuts in the stands. They already got a $25M gift from the league in not having to pay his salary last year.

But I guarantee that if they DO release him, there will be at least one thread on OH suggesting we pick him up to be our DH.

If they buy him out it doesn't change the luxury tax numbers for the years he had remaining right?

Right. It does not.

And you wonder why they’ve maintained they are not interested in signing Max Scherzer to a $200 million deal? That stance seems legitimate considering the club’s current financial state. They also have a lot of dollars invested in aging vets Mark Teixeira and Carlos Beltran through 2016.

Although the Yankee brass would never say it, it seems like the team is sacrificing the next two years until it can open some payroll slots.

As long as they gotta pay him I don't care what they do. Make him earn his keep selling peanuts in the stands. They already got a $25M gift from the league in not having to pay his salary last year.

But I guarantee that if they DO release him, there will be at least one thread on OH suggesting we pick him up to be our DH.

And if he does well, at least two threads demanding that he be signed to a four year deal.

Bad idea? ;)

Archived