Minnesota Vs Maryland Noon start

Greg

But the team wouldn't need Wells to come alive at the end of games if he didn't play poorly earlier in games. And Layman shooting 5 for 7 with 2 3's is a good example of why he should get more scoring opportunities - he takes advantage of the opportunities he gets. Anyway, I'm sure Turgeon will talk to Wells if he agrees with me, and hopefully Wells will adjust.

This is spot on in my opinion. I love Wells late but he is very sloppy at times.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You do realize 49% is a pretty strong shooting percentage for a guard? Laymans 63% will be unsustainable in big 10 play most likely. Layman shot 40% from the field last year while wells was at 48%. I agree that layman should be more assertive at times but Wells is still a better creator and shouldn't be discredited here.

You do realize 49% is a pretty strong shooting percentage for a guard? Laymans 63% will be unsustainable in big 10 play most likely. Layman shot 40% from the field last year while wells was at 48%. I agree that layman should be more assertive at times but Wells is still a better creator and shouldn't be discredited here.

Effective FG% (aka eFG) is not the same as FG%. It takes scoring efficiency into account - giving extra credit for made 3's and FT's. 49% eFG isn't terrible by any stretch, but it's not very good for a guard - or any other position. And Wells creates for himself but not so much for other players.

Big Ten basketball looks soft this year. Only two nationally ranked teams left on our schedule. ACC basketball has much more talent. Hope this doesn't hurt us come March:cool:

The overall strength of schedule should be very similar. The lowest RPI team in the Big Ten - Michigan (128) is currently higher than Boston College (136), Clemson (137), Wake Forest (158), Florida St. (169), and Virginia Tech (240). Depth explains how the Big Ten came out on top in this year's ACC/Big Ten Challenge.

I won't argue that Wells can be sloppy or that he has had some really rough stretches early in games. Both are unquestionably true. I will say regarding creating for others that I have seen more good passes to get his teammates easy shots from Wells than from any other player on the team including Trimble despite playing far fewer games. Wells clearly understands the offense and the set plays (which isn't surprising since he is a senior). He has done skip passes, drives to the free throw line to draw defenders and pass to open shooters, drives to the hoop and short passes to the big men, etc... I've actually been pretty impressed with his passing.

His dribbling is still erratic. I have a theory on why he loses the ball in fast break situations more than normal. It appears to me that he really slams the ball into the floor while dribbling especially right before he collects the ball to launch into the air. This is likely exuberance by a really strong dude.

Anyway, I've enjoyed watching Dez play a lot the last couple years. I will miss him next year. I think he has a future in the NBA at some level.

He's talented and tries hard - and that's why it's frustrating that he's not where I thought he'd be by now. I think he'd have a shot in the NBA if he drastically cuts the turnovers and dramatically improves his consistency. Maybe after a few years in the NBA D league or Europe.

Archived