Anyone Else Getting Excited about Manny?

SticksandStones

As I've stated in a few threads, I believe Manny will be a top 5 MVP candidate this year, posting an .850 OPS and playing the kind of defense to which we've become accustomed. Certainly this article only reinforces my opinion. I think he's only scratched the surface of what he can do offensively.

Bump from January... what say you? :D

Despite his gaudy numbers, I was thinking recently that I couldn't really remember too many times when Manny had come through with a huge hit with the game on the line -- the kind of hits people remember at MVP voting time. Kaboom! There she goes!

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Bump from January... what say you? :D

Despite his gaudy numbers, I was thinking recently that I couldn't really remember too many times when Manny had come through with a huge hit with the game on the line -- the kind of hits people remember at MVP voting time. Kaboom! There she goes!

That poor kid from Oakland gave up 8 ER in less than 2 IP to Toronto the other night - then one pitch and it is a two run homer.

I am shocked at the growth in his approach at the plate. He has become such a patient hitter, it is amazing. I know he will have a positive impact on his good friend Schoop. While everyone is destroying DD and saying that this is our last year to compete - these two along with Jones make me feel strongly we will be in the mix in the coming years.

That poor kid from Oakland gave up 8 ER in less than 2 IP to Toronto the other night - then one pitch and it is a two run homer.

I am shocked at the growth in his approach at the plate. He has become such a patient hitter, it is amazing. I know he will have a positive impact on his good friend Schoop. While everyone is destroying DD and saying that this is our last year to compete - these two along with Jones make me feel strongly we will be in the mix in the coming years.

In the split second from when he released that pitch and when it was halfway to the plate, I thought, in my mind's eye, that's a fat pitch! Man I could hit that out. It was weird. It was like slow motion to me. Sure enough BAM! HR!

• 1 month later...

Manny hit his 29th round tripper of the season last night. His rank in a few geek stats:

rWAR: 6.7 (4th in AL)

oWAR: 5.2 (5th in AL)

dWAR: 2.0 (6th in AL)

The guy is the full package. I don't think he's been as good defensively this year as he was in his platinum glove season, but he has still been excellent and could well win another Gold Glove. Offensively, he's been solid all year in all aspects. I've been particularly pleased with his plate discipline, which has allowed him to be very consistent throughout the season.

Archived