Anyone Else Getting Excited about Manny?

SticksandStones

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's not all that similar and its getting better. Manny walked almost twice as often as Jones in 2014 and it's trending in the right direction. He also had solid discipline in the minors. It's going to get better. Jones' plate discipline is right there with the worst in MLB. Jones has limited range. All the metrics agree on that. He has below average speed for a center fielder and his jumps and routes aren't always great. The Fielding Bible actually doesn't think he's very good at going back on balls. The numbers say he is average to slightly below for his career defensively. This year was the first time since 2009 the metrics liked his defense and DRS still only had him at plus 2 runs for the year. Manny has been well above average by the metrics since he came up. They are not on the same level defensively.

The numbers eh? What numbers? That infamous WAR statistic.

90% of teams would take Jones as their CF. Therefore in today's game he is a better than a average player.

Machado is more patient, ill give you that. But he chases balls as much as Jones. And they both are aggressive swingers.

It's laughable that you bring up the walk.difference considering Jones rarely walks, so what, Machado have 40 walks to Jones' 19? I'm also sure Jones hit aboit 3x as many homers as Machado and outside of a 30 game span before getting hurt, Machado was not very good last year offensively and nowhere near where he was when he led the league in doubles.

But it's cool, keep expecting Machado to be a MVP candidate IF healthy. See what you say come ALL STAR break.

BTW, Machado played only 82 games and Jones barely missed any and their OBP was damn their identical. I'm sure it's a lot easier to maintain a higher OBP when u play half a season compared to a full one. And like I said, (which someone else.pointed out to me) Machados numbers were inflated due to a hell of a stretch between a couple months.

The dude had one spectacular season that no one seen coming and some of you are memorized by it.

The numbers eh? What numbers? That infamous WAR statistic.

90% of teams would take Jones as their CF. Therefore in today's game he is a better than a average player.

Machado is more patient, ill give you that. But he chases balls as much as Jones. And they both are aggressive swingers.

It's laughable that you bring up the walk.difference considering Jones rarely walks, so what, Machado have 40 walks to Jones' 19? I'm also sure Jones hit aboit 3x as many homers as Machado and outside of a 30 game span before getting hurt, Machado was not very good last year offensively and nowhere near where he was when he led the league in doubles.

But it's cool, keep expecting Machado to be a MVP candidate IF healthy. See what you say come ALL STAR break.

BTW, Machado played only 82 games and Jones barely missed any and their OBP was damn their identical. I'm sure it's a lot easier to maintain a higher OBP when u play half a season compared to a full one. And like I said, (which someone else.pointed out to me) Machados numbers were inflated due to a hell of a stretch between a couple months.

The dude had one spectacular season that no one seen coming and some of you are memorized by it.

Right he was a top five draft pick and was up near the top of all those prospect lists by accident.

Right he was a top five draft pick and was up near the top of all those prospect lists by accident.

Because all top five draft picks pan out and.every player that sits atop the prospect list is a future HOF, right?

You can't sit here and say you expected him to lead the league in doubles and to have the year he did..

Because all top five draft picks pan out and.every player that sits atop the prospect list is a future HOF, right?

You can't sit here and say you expected him to lead the league in doubles and to have the year he did..

Machado had a 111 wRC+ last year, which is higher than 2013. Meaning, he was having a better year offensively...

I didn't expect him to do what he did in 2012, I expected him to not make the majors before 2013. Once I saw him in 2012 I was not surprised by what he did in 2013. Did I expect him to lead the game in doubles? Of course not but who cares that he led the league in doubles?

If on July 1st 2012 you had asked me if I thought Machado would have a six win season before he was 25 I would have said that was a perfectly reasonable prediction.

Manny also came on a team that was ready to contend and AJ was THE guy for the Os who helped turn this thing around before Manny got here ...you guys don't give this guy enough credit. But whatever.

Put Manny on the same Os team AJ was on at the age of 21 and project his numbers. Manny has guys aroind him that were proven. AJ was on a team that was a joke at that current time.

Ridiculous.

Manny also came on a team that was ready to contend and AJ was THE guy for the Os who helped turn this thing around before Manny got here ...you guys don't give this guy enough credit. But whatever.
Put Manny on the same Os team AJ was on at the age of 21 and project his numbers. Manny has guys aroind him that were proven. AJ was on a team that was a joke at that current time.

Ridiculous.

So are you saying that AJ dogged it because he was on a bad team or that Machado would have dogged it if he had been on a bad team?

And for the record, Jones was on an 88 win Mariners team his age 21 season.

So are you saying that AJ dogged it because he was on a bad team or that Machado would have dogged it if he had been on a bad team?

No, I'm saying its easier to have better numbers when there is barely any ML film on you when you're surrounded by guys like AJ, Hardy, Markakis, and a CD coming off a 50+ HR season. If you were a pitcher, out of those four and Machado, who would rather have pitched to?

Bet your ass that Machado seen more fastballs than any of those his in 2013.

But the lineup protection man!

Seriously, apparently the mere suggestion that Manny Machado has a higher ceiling than Adam Jones IF he remains healthy is somehow a crazy notion. Even though he has already shown a ceiling Jones has not. Also, apparently the mere suggestion that anyone could be better than Jones means we don't give him enough credit. I'm fairly certain I said he was a very good player a few posts ago in this very thread. Suggesting he has a couple flaws does not change that position. I don't even understand what is happening right now. Insert taking crazy pills meme here.

No, I'm saying its easier to have better numbers when there is barely any ML film on you when you're surrounded by guys like AJ, Hardy, Markakis, and a CD coming off a 50+ HR season. If you were a pitcher, out of those four and Machado, who would rather have pitched to?

Bet your ass that Machado seen more fastballs than any of those his in 2013.

Chris Davis hit 50+ HR in 2012?

Markakis didn't put up a replacement level season in 2013?

Protection isn't a myth?

The 2007 Mariners were not a bad team.

BTW no one, I repeat no one, in this thread is saying anything bad about Jones. It is not a matter of Jones being bad or even average, it is about Manny being something special.

Archived