Top 2008 Draft Prospects: Eric Hosmer

Key: (X) is their age at the time of the 2008 Draft

3. Eric Hosmer {High School 1B} (18). For me, Hosmer may be the single best 1B prospect in the last 20 years, and while some discount his value for being a 1B'man, I have him as the overall best prospect in the draft. He is big at 6' 4 200, and strong enough to launch massive shot after massive shot throughout both batting practice and in the games he plays. Already a very good defender at 1B, Eric profiles as a middle of the order beast. With perhaps the sweetest swing in the draft he won the WWBA (World Wood Bat Association)Tourney MVP back in October, adding to an impressive collection of accolades.

While High School phenom Tim Beckham gets the most rave reviews for being the next great 5-tool talent, it is Hosmer that has been the most consistent player. Coupling tremendous defensive and offensive skill-sets makes Hosmer a legit threat to go in the top 5.

Greg's Grade (1-100) = 92

Next up> College RHSP Aaron Crow.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good to see you feel this way about Hosmer. I think he should be our pick , unless Smoak and Alverez have great seasons and are there for our pick. I don't get the "discount for 1st basemen! I mean would you discount Pujols, Howard, or eddie Murray "just because" they play 1st?? Its crazy.

Wow, great read. Kind of starting to sway me a little from taking Beckham if Alvarez if off the board. I am def going to have to watch how his season unfolds. This is the kind of high school talent that can jump right into the top 3 picks and maybe push Alvarez to us. If not, this is the exact kind of power prospect that we need in the system.

Wow! Great write-up and great ranking, sounds like a great #4 hitter for years to come. Definitly sounds like someone who would look great in an O's uniform. Even though Rowell may wind up there, it be a good problem to have.

We already have Rowell and Snyder in the system. IF (big if) they catch fire and start putting up big numbers, they both project as first basemen. There's a chance Rowell might stick at 3rd base, but I think both these guys end up at first.

On the other hand, you can't have too many great hitters, so you could always DH one, move one to left field, etc.

However, we do need shortstops badly in our organization, so Beckham might be tempting....

I really think you have to take a great bat in the first round and not worry about position. With the next pick (around 46) you then start thinking about positions. Maybe that is where you take a high ceiling shortstop or second baseman. Then in rounds three through six you take 3 pitchers and an outfielder.

My only concern with Hosmer is that he is probably not ready until 2011 at the earliest. Smoak on the other hand might fit into the plan better as he would probably arrive in late 2009 or 2010- one year after Wieters and Riemold and probably right with Rowell and Snyder.

Great work Greg, as always! I'm also a big fan of Hosmer. If he is indeed the best overall bat in the draft and he's able to play 1B like he is reputed to be able to, you take him if he's available regardless of position. Long way to go, we'll see if he can maintain that staus.

Smoak vs. Hosmer. Who has the higher ceiling? Smoak has had two terrific collegiate seasons, which means more seasoning beyond the high school rank. But does Hosmer have better raw potential?

I love Hosmer. I think with a good year he and Mellville both could jump into the top 3. Hosmer has a higher ceiling than Smoak, but Smoak is a switch hitter which would be great for us!

I love Hosmer. I think with a good year he and Mellville both could jump into the top 3. Hosmer has a higher ceiling than Smoak, but Smoak is a switch hitter which would be great for us!

We will be happy with either of them. The idea of having two switch hitters at the 4 and 5 spots is enticing, but so is 30-40hr potential.

I think this will be the first season where I actually watch college baseball (besides the last 3 games).

We will be happy with either of them. The idea of having two switch hitters at the 4 and 5 spots is enticing, but so is 30-40hr potential.

I think this will be the first season where I actually watch college baseball (besides the last 3 games).

I would like to see us fork over a signing bonus and get Salcedo then draft Hosmer/Smoak. How nice of an infield would Salcedo, Hosmer/Smoak, Rowell, Weiters and hopefully someone like Dykstra in the 2nd round to play 2nd. With Reimold, Jones, and Kakes. Then let Snyder DH. That would be something to marvel at.

I would like to see us fork over a signing bonus and get Salcedo then draft Hosmer/Smoak. How nice of an infield would Salcedo, Hosmer/Smoak, Rowell, Weiters and hopefully someone like Dykstra in the 2nd round to play 2nd. With Reimold, Jones, and Kakes. Then let Snyder DH. That would be something to marvel at.

If that happens I will never own a house. I will keep spending my deposit on season tickets.

Smoak vs. Hosmer. Who has the higher ceiling? Smoak has had two terrific collegiate seasons, which means more seasoning beyond the high school rank. But does Hosmer have better raw potential?

Comparing players is certainly a dicey proposition, but I believe that they are both tremendous talents with fantastic projectable skill-sets.

Hosmer, for me, just has a mystique about him... there is something special about the kid that cannot be quantified merely relaying statistical and scouting analysis. It's awfully early to be guessing, but while I would be elated with Smoak, I think Hosmer is the higher upside player. If he plays as expected, the name of Eric Hosmer will be prominent come early round one.

Smoak is the older and more experienced player, who switch hits and handles himself fairly well at first. He could project as a .300/.370/.480/.850'ish first sacker with 25 HR's and solid run production, regardless of where he bats.

I truly would be pleased with either of them.

Archived