Top 2008 Draft Prospects: Eric Hosmer

If this is at all true... if there is even a possibility of Hosmer projecting to have more power than Smoak, then they need to stop comparing Hosmer to Casey Kotchman. Smoak is being projected to be a middle of the lineup producer and member of the 30 homerun club. I don't think anyone is projecting Kotchman to hit for that much power. He's a great hitter, but he doesn't try to hit homeruns.

To have people project Hosmer as having this big power bat and then compare him closely to Kotchman seems a little contradictory. They should clarify that they are only referring to Hosmer's polish at the plate, which could compare to Kotchman's.

Absolutely true, if the Matt Blood quote above says Texeria vs. Kotchman. There is a world of difference between those two at this point. Kotchman is a good average hitter with some power, while Tex is a premium power bat. Obviously we need a premium power bat in a big way.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Absolutely true, if the Matt Blood quote above says Texeria vs. Kotchman. There is a world of difference between those two at this point. Kotchman is a good average hitter with some power, while Tex is a premium power bat. Obviously we need a premium power bat in a big way.

Hosmer projects to have great power, and in my view will eventually be a 35+ guy in the majors. Therefor the Kotchman comp is a little light, at least as far as power goes. Hosmer is Kotchman-like around the bag and is a good average hitter with a good eye as well. So I can see the other likenesses.

I think the key is the phrase "at this point" - March 2008.

Kotchman was a top, top prospect a few years ago hitting for a strong average with expected development of power. I interpret a Kotchman comp as a nice compliment.

I have the feeling I will post this 25 times between now and June. I understand the attraction of a top bat like Smoak, but I continue to read articles that feed the impression that Hosmer is the type of HS bat that comes along once very five to 10 years. It would be very, very difficult to pass on that kind of bat.

I think the key is the phrase "at this point" - March 2008.

Kotchman was a top, top prospect a few years ago hitting for a strong average with expected development of power. I interpret a Kotchman comp as a nice compliment.

I have the feeling I will post this 25 times between now and June. I understand the attraction of a top bat like Smoak, but I continue to read articles that feed the impression that Hosmer is the type of HS bat that comes along once very five to 10 years. It would be very, very difficult to pass on that kind of bat.

You. You're good you. You're good. You gotta gift... an attempt at paraphrasing DeNiro from Analyze This. :D

Hosmer, for me, just radiates 'special'. And while I don't believe we'll take him at #4 :( , I look forward to watching his progress as a pro, and expect that in a couple of years that some teams are going to be kicking themselves for passing on him.

Hosmer, for me, just radiates 'special'. And while I don't believe we'll take him at #4 :( , I look forward to watching his progress as a pro, and expect that in a couple of years that some teams are going to be kicking themselves for passing on him.

Greg - Can you handicap the decision between Hosmer and Smoak? Most of the comparisons i've seen are fairly close with Smoak being 3 yrs older and putting up numbers at a high D1 level. What is your take?

You. You're good you. You're good. You gotta gift... an attempt at paraphrasing DeNiro from Analyze This. :D

We shouldn't count out Hosmer at 4. If the organization feels Hosmer will be the better player down the road, we could pass up on Smoak and take Hosmer.

I like the numbers Smoak is putting up at the college level, but from what is being said about Hosmer, he may end up the better hitter.

We shouldn't count out Hosmer at 4. If the organization feels Hosmer will be the better player down the road, we could pass up on Smoak and take Hosmer.

I like the numbers Smoak is putting up at the college level, but from what is being said about Hosmer, he may end up the better hitter.

Ehhhhh, I don't know about all of the love for Hosmer as a top 5 guy. He's a fair amount behind where Moustakas was last year (best bat in the draft) and I might even put him behind where Vitters was, as well. He isn't as dynamic a player as Beckham and he doesn't play as valuable a position in the field. If he isn't ahead of the top HS talent, and isn't really compared to either Moustakas or Vitters, I'm not sure I can rank him ahead of the top college hitters (Alvarez/Alonso/Smoak). I think I'd slot him in the second half of the first 10, and I wouldn't pass on any of Alvarez/Beckham/Matusz/Smoak/Crow to get him.

I'm not sure I can rank him ahead of the top college hitters (Alvarez/Alonso/Smoak). I think I'd slot him in the second half of the first round, and I wouldn't pass on any of Alvarez/Beckham/Matusz/Smoak/Crow to get him.

I agree he's not in my top 5 yet, but from what I've read he certainly is in the top 10 to 15 prospects. Its still very early in the season and he can certainly jump to that top tier. Vitters and Moustakas jumped based on their performance as seniors.

I agree he's not in my top 5 yet, but from what I've read he certainly is in the top 10 to 15 prospects. Its still very early in the season and he can certainly jump to that top tier. Vitters and Moustakas jumped based on their performance as seniors.

I meant second half of the top 10, sorry.

Moustakas broke his HS single-season HR record as a junior and then broke the CA state record as a senior. Vitters became a top-5 talent the summer between his junior and senior season when he tore-up the various summer showcases, including the Cape Cod All-Star Showcase.

Greg - Can you handicap the decision between Hosmer and Smoak? Most of the comparisons i've seen are fairly close with Smoak being 3 yrs older and putting up numbers at a high D1 level. What is your take?

While Stotle and I disagree about Hosmer's value, being a 1B'man does detract somewhat from a player's perceived worth. With that being said, Alvarez (May be a 1B'man or OF if not 3B), Smoak and Hosmer are all legit top 5 threats, and DH/1B slugger Yonder Alonso could leap into consideration as well.

Smoak is probably the safer pick between he and Hosmer. Justin is a proven college talent, who switch hits, plays a very good defensive 1B, and has very good power.

Hosmer, like Moustakas, Vitters and many other great HS bats, has been great over the past summer, and won the World Wood Bat Association Tournament MVP in late October. Hosmer bats left, has light-tower power, plays excellent defensively at 1B and takes the ball to the opposite field well. The last HS 1B'man with this kind of power and presence is doing quite alright... Prince Fielder.

Both should be very good pro's... it's just a matter of what you want out of that pick.

Ehhhhh, I don't know about all of the love for Hosmer as a top 5 guy. He's a fair amount behind where Moustakas was last year (best bat in the draft) and I might even put him behind where Vitters was, as well. He isn't as dynamic a player as Beckham and he doesn't play as valuable a position in the field. If he isn't ahead of the top HS talent, and isn't really compared to either Moustakas or Vitters, I'm not sure I can rank him ahead of the top college hitters (Alvarez/Alonso/Smoak). I think I'd slot him in the second half of the first 10, and I wouldn't pass on any of Alvarez/Beckham/Matusz/Smoak/Crow to get him.

Who besides Beckham is ranked over Hosmer in the HS ranks?

In my opinion, for position players, I'd say just Beckham and Martinez.

I think its a coin flip at the moment between Hosmer and Martinez. We'll see where we are at as we get closer to June. Martinez has the advantage of playing a premium position, but Hosmer is suppossed to be a special hitter as well as a good defensive 1B.

Archived