Top 2008 Draft Prospects: Eric Hosmer

I guess neither Smoak or Hosmer have the upside of Teixeira (going off of the stats Tex put up at Georgia Tech), but if Reimold pans out as our LF and Snyder puts up good numbers at 1B, we may not need Tex if we have Smoak or Hosmer at DH/1B, right?

I disagree with the premise that neither has Teixiera's upside. At his best, Smoak could be another Teixiera, but Hosmer could eventually be as good or even exceed Teixiera's career as a ML'er. I know, that's a bold statement, but I remind you that I said could. I hope that Hosmer does blow up even more this season, although the opposition in HS may just treat him a bit like Bonds and pitch around him this season.

Rowell and Snyder both could wind up at third or first... but the odds are that just one will. It's my draft philosophy that you take the best talent available (with a strong understanding of the longer odds pitcher's face in round one) and sort out whatever positional issues you have later.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Great work Greg, as always! I'm also a big fan of Hosmer. If he is indeed the best overall bat in the draft and he's able to play 1B like he is reputed to be able to, you take him if he's available regardless of position. Long way to go, we'll see if he can maintain that staus.

Great to see you again Jammer. We agree as usual.

I really don't know much about Smoak (or Hosmer), except what I see from the stats. But if we do use stats to compare players, it would seem that Teixeira was far more dominating in his one year at G-Tech, than Smoak's best year at S. Carolina.

But stats don't tell the whole story. If Smoak can put up numbers comparable to Teixeira's, I'd love to grab him at 4.

Does Hosmer project to put up bigger power numbers than Smoak?

I really don't know much about Smoak (or Hosmer), except what I see from the stats. But if we do use stats to compare players, it would seem that Teixeira was far more dominating in his one year at G-Tech, than Smoak's best year at S. Carolina.

But stats don't tell the whole story. If Smoak can put up numbers comparable to Teixeira's, I'd love to grab him at 4.

Does Hosmer project to put up bigger power numbers than Smoak?

As best as these things can be projected... yes.

Check out the kids stroke. There are 3-4 other videos as well. He has one of the sweetest swings i have ever seen from a high school kid.

Nice!! Everytime I see or read about this kid, the more I become more convinced that he should be our pick(if he lasts). Did you hear the guy in the background when he hit it? "God D@mn!" haha. I was thinking the same thing. :D

Check out the kids stroke. There are 3-4 other videos as well. He has one of the sweetest swings i have ever seen from a high school kid.

Very nice. Against a lefty too. Might not seem like a big deal, but HS hitters don't get to face many good lefties, so for a left handed hitter to crank one like that off a lefty shows some nice polish.

Of course, that pitch was about 65mph, but still.

This is my favorite of the group, really getting some great perspectives on his swing...and I also love the reaction right at the end when he hits the home run over the York "Green Monster" (where the York Revolution play...)

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVyMOjBcd1U&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVyMOjBcd1U&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

That's not Hosmer...

Ahh. My bad. Just followed the title of the group, and wasn't even paying attention to who I was seeing.

He did look smaller than the "beast" that Greg had talked about, I'll admit that (and batting from the other side...sheesh, d, pay attention)...:o

• 4 weeks later...

A scouting report on Hosmer (and Ethan Martin) by Matt Blood of BA:

10:00 p.m. Friday, March 7, American Heritage HS vs. Stephens County HS, Granger Park:

[i saw] the noticeable difference in the velocity and life on Stephens County's Ethan Martin's 96 mph fastball on his second pitch to American Heritage's Eric Hosmer. Then later in the at-bat, the depth and plane on a sharp 81 mph slider perfectly placed, low and away, freezing Hosmer for strike three. Everything about those two pitches screamed well above-average—he pitched like a major leaguer in that matchup and for most of the game.

Staying in the same game, a few innings later, Hosmer faced Martin again, and this time Hosmer won. Martin left a 91 mph fastball up in the zone and Hosmer displayed his blindly fast and explosive bat speed, hitting the ball on a direct line from his bat to the top right section of the scoreboard in left-center field. Everyone was in awe, even Martin, as he exchanged smiles and a laugh with Hosmer as he rounded second base.

Eric Hosmer: You can't teach his size and bat speed. I thought I was watching a high school version of Mark Teixeira.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/online/draft/news/2008/265733.html

A scouting report on Hosmer (and Ethan Martin) by Matt Blood of BA:

http://www.baseballamerica.com/online/draft/news/2008/265733.html

I thought Ethan Martin was a power hitting third baseman. I guess he pitches, too.

That is certainly impressive for Hosmer to launch a line drive that far off of 90+ mph pitching in HS. You don't see guys throwing that hard all the time in HS, so for him to rake against it leads me to believe the transition to pro ball won't be too difficult for him (comparatively).

I though Ethan Martin was a power hitting third baseman? I guess he pitches, too.

From the same Matt Blood article, next day:

3:00 p.m. Saturday, March 8, Stephens County HS vs. Nova HS, Granger Park:

[i saw] the strength in Martin's top hand as he whipped his bat through the zone with a level stroke (coming from up high to meet the ball—not uppercutting), driving a high pitch over the center-field fence. Martin plays the game with a country strong mentality and this swing reiterated that point.

In the same game, Martin showed his quick hands, defensive ability and toughness when he picked a sharp short hop hit at him while playing third base. He cleanly devoured the ball and then made a noticeably strong throw across the diamond getting the out—the day after throwing 130 pitches against American Heritage.

By the way, I just noticed that they'd been using Hosmer as a pitcher earlier in the season as well. End of Feb, he faced two batters and struck out both for a save, and Mar. 8 he pitched 2 innings, faced 8 batters, and struck out 5.

Not that I imagine him as a pitcher...

As best as these things can be projected... yes.

If this is at all true... if there is even a possibility of Hosmer projecting to have more power than Smoak, then they need to stop comparing Hosmer to Casey Kotchman. Smoak is being projected to be a middle of the lineup producer and member of the 30 homerun club. I don't think anyone is projecting Kotchman to hit for that much power. He's a great hitter, but he doesn't try to hit homeruns.

To have people project Hosmer as having this big power bat and then compare him closely to Kotchman seems a little contradictory. They should clarify that they are only referring to Hosmer's polish at the plate, which could compare to Kotchman's.

Archived