Orioles Franchise Four

ArtVanDelay

I went with Eddie as the 4th because Frank will get in as a Red. If it was favorite player or best year it would be Frank but I don't really consider Frank a "franchise player" for the Orioles. He had almost twice as many ABs for the Reds.

My thoughts and vote exactly.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Orioles suck. No guys batting .300. Only the Marlins and the Rays have their top Batting Average guy under our top average guy Frank at .294.

If we didnt have Frank and he was under the Reds the Orioles would be in last place out of 30 teams with top Batting Average guy on the list.

Brooks sucked batting .267, Powell .266 and Blair .250, how are these guys considered Top players? What a joke.

These players all played when batting averages were very low. Brooks .267 looks bad, but when the league average was usually in the .240s and low 250s, he usually outperformed the league average by 15 to 20 points. Brooks wasn't an outstanding hitter, but he was still better than average and fielded his position better than anyone during that time.

Orioles suck. No guys batting .300. Only the Marlins and the Rays have their top Batting Average guy under our top average guy Frank at .294.

If we didn't have Frank and he was under the Reds the Orioles would be in last place out of 30 teams with top Batting Average guy on the list.

Brooks sucked batting .267, Powell .266 and Blair .250, how are these guys considered Top players? What a joke.

These players all played when batting averages were very low. Brooks .267 looks bad, but when the league average was usually in the .240s and low 250s, he usually outperformed the league average by 15 to 20 points. Brooks wasn't an outstanding hitter, but he was still better than average and fielded his position better than anyone during that time.

My cousin Donnie is a lifelong Yankee fan.

He's 9 years older than I am.

He took me to my ONLY GAME EVER at Memorial Stadium in April of 1979. :cool:

And he said that the player that drove him crazy the most in the clutch on offense was Brooks Robinson.

The Oriole pitcher that he found most impressive was Mike Cuellar.

o

By the way, I kind of see Palmer as the Orioles' Bill Russell in this sense:

The "Big Three" of the Orioles' starting pitchers in the late 60's and early 70's was:

Palmer and his two lefty friends (Cuellar and McNally.)

The "Big Three" of the Orioles' starting pitchers in the late 70's and early 80's was:

Palmer and his two lefty friends (Flanagan and McGregor.)

Jimbo was the "overlap" guy, so to speak ...... as was Bill Russell, who was the one constant in the Celtics' dynasty between 1957 and 1969.

I guess they could try for some recent players, but a few of them had careers with more impact on other teams before going to Washington. That's one that would take thought into who the Franchise Four would be.

I guess they could try for some recent players, but a few of them had careers with more impact on other teams before going to Washington. That's one that would take thought into who the Franchise Four would be.

From what I can tell, they mostly think it's stupid that nobody from the Senators - Walter Johnson, Frank Howard, etc - made the Nats list. Johnson's listed under the Twins and Howard for the Rangers, which seems dumb, even though those are technically the Senators teams that they played for.

I guess Ravens fans would feel the same way if Jim Brown was on their list, but Unitas wasn't.

I think if Bonds is on the list of candidates (and he is), then Clemens also needs to be there. You could make a strong case for ARod, too. By career WAR your top 8 are:

Bonds 162

Mays 156

Aaron 143

Clemens 140

ARod 116

Henderson 111

Seaver 111

F. Robinson 107

So it is May, Aaron, Henderson, Seaver. Shame that Frank just misses.

• 3 months later...
Brooks, Cal, Frank and Jim.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Congrats to Jim Palmer, Cal Ripken Jr., Brooks Robinson and Frank Robinson for being voted the Orioles <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/FranchiseFour?src=hash">#FranchiseFour</a> <a href="http://t.co/V7CCnikG7Q">pic.twitter.com/V7CCnikG7Q</a></p>— Baltimore Orioles (@Orioles) <a href="

">July 14, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Archived