Spring Training Performance Means Nothing

Bahama O's Fan

Did Bud pitch appreciably better then Gausman last year? Gausman had a superior ERA, ERA+ and FIP.

Yea, I'm with you whole-heartedly that Guasman was statistically a better pitcher and if I had my druthers, he'd be in the opening starting 5. But staying subjective, Bud had a good year and we all know Buck likes to take care of his vets. You could also make a case that the FO was banking on a slightly similar year out of Bud in 2015 so as to showcase him for receiving draft pick compensation.

o

Norris had a decent game in his 2nd outing of the season tonight.

Fortunately, Brad Brach had his back tonight (2 shutout innings, 0 hits, 1 walk, 2 strikeouts), and Zach Britton was able to close out the Yankees for the win.

Bud's changeup looked pretty good to me last night but it seems like he stops throwing it and then goes fastball/slider.

Agreed. And he devoted at least one entire inning during ST throwing mostly the CH just so he could work on that pitch. He set a guy up early in the game with one for strike two and then the slider on strike three, but he doesn't stay with it consistently.

He did get into trouble during the 3rd so I wonder if it's a lack of confidence when he needs to make pitches. Maybe he's more comfortable throwing it ahead in the count or with less than two men on base.

Agreed. And he devoted at least one entire inning during ST throwing mostly the CH just so he could work on that pitch. He set a guy up early in the game with one for strike two and then the slider on strike three, but he doesn't stay with it consistently.

He did get into trouble during the 3rd so I wonder if it's a lack of confidence when he needs to make pitches. Maybe he's more comfortable throwing it ahead in the count or with less than two men on base.

That would make good sense.

Archived