Kevin Gausman Today 2015

Il BuonO

Watching the post game and Thorne asks both Buck and Kevin about him staying in the rotation. What more do they need to say for Gary to comprehend that he is.
Yep. Who would they replace Kevin with? Bud Norris??!!

Actually, Kevin seemed to settle down after the first inning. The Yankees took full advantage while O's bats kept leaving RISP.

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's it.

This is it....;)

Gausman on his first inning:

"Just some pitches. Two strikes to (Jacoby) Ellsbury, that's definitely too good of a pitch. That's why he's making what he's making. He's a pretty good hitter. Really that lineup is just veteran guy after veteran guy. That first inning, I was definitely around the center of the plate more than any others. I think after that I really established throwing my fastball in for strikes. I think it showed after that. My stuff was pretty good tonight, and I felt comfortable with it. Really two splits that were left down the middle of the plate. When you throw that pitch and you leave it pretty center cut, it can get hit a long ways."

On being able to shrug off first inning:

"Yeah, you know sometimes. Obviously, I'm not happy about it. I don't think I ever shrug things off at this level. Yeah, you know walking (Carlos) Beltran when I did, those were really good pitches that he just happened to not to swing at. In that situation, yeah, you kind of shrug your shoulders. I think what I did after that was pretty good, kind of kept us in the game."

On how getting the ball every five days now will benefit him:

"Yeah, definitely. That's what it's all about, getting into a routine, especially for a starting pitcher. That's what it's all about. You lose your routine, you can get out of whack and maybe we're prima donnas in that sense, but it's just one of those things. We find what works for us, and I think when you know every given day what you're going to be doing that day, it only helps you."

On being happy he lasted six innings:

"I knew after the first inning my stuff was good. I was going to have to mix in pitches with these guys. It's a veteran lineup, so you can't throw the same pitch too many times in a row. You get them out on a split the first time, they're not going to make it easy on you the second time. Definitely to lock in and go six, I wish I would have gone seven, but it was huge for us and kept us in the game."

And Buck,

Kevin Gausman allowed three runs and threw 29 pitches in the first inning, but he made it through the sixth.

"He just made some mistakes with the breaking ball, that's all. But I'm proud of the way he came back and pitched after that," said manager Buck Showalter. "He was very competitive. I've got no problem with pitch selection, just where he got them. He made some really good pitches with it later on. But he kept us in the game. We were engaged in it because he didn't implode."

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2015/07/wrapping-up-a-4-3-loss.html

o

23 OUTS: 11 Groundouts, 5 Strikeouts, 3 Lineouts (Including 1 Double Play), 2 Flyouts, 1 Popout

K.J. GAUSMAN O(vs. BRAVES, 7/27)

IP:. 7.67

H:o 6 l(2 Doubles, 4 Singles)

R:O 0

BB: 1

SO: 5

Pitches: 107 (70 Strikes, 37 Balls)

2015 ERA: 4.20

PITCHES BY INNINGS

10 (71 Strikes, 3 Balls)

11 (51 Strikes, 6 Balls)

16 (12 Strikes, 4 Balls)

17 (10 Strikes, 7 Balls)

14 (10 Strikes, 4 Balls)

11 (71 Strikes, 4 Balls)

14 (91 Strikes, 5 Balls)

14 (10 Strikes, 4 Balls) *

* Gausman recorded 2 outs before departing in the 8th inning.

He needs to start hitting.

This front office wouldn't let him face major league hitting on a consistent basis. This front office would shuttle him between Norfolk and Bmore letting him start in Camden Yards for a game every two weeks before sending him back down - even if he hit two home runs a game. That's how they would develop the mighty hitting Gausman.

This front office wouldn't let him face major league hitting on a consistent basis. This front office would shuttle him between Norfolk and Bmore letting him start in Camden Yards for a game every two weeks before sending him back down - even if he hit two home runs a game. That's how they would develop the mighty hitting Gausman.

Of course the way they developed Schoop last year is completely contrary to your hyperbole.

o

21 OUTS: 8 Groundouts, 6 Strikeouts, 3 Lineouts, 2 Popouts, 2 Foulouts

K.J. GAUSMAN O(vs. TIGERS, 8/01)

IP:. 7

H:)l 4 l(1 Home Run, 1 Double, 2 Singles)

R:O 2

BB: 0

SO: 6

Pitches: 106 (68 Strikes, 38 Balls)

2015 ERA: 3.97

PITCHES BY INNINGS

11 (81 Strikes, 3 Balls)

14 (91 Strikes, 5 Balls)

13 (61 Strikes, 7 Balls)

17 (11 Strikes, 6 Balls)

20 (13 Strikes, 7 Balls)

16 (11 Strikes, 5 Balls)

15 (10 Strikes, 5 Balls)

I just came home from the ballgame. Gausman was fabulous, what a breath of fresh air for our starting pitching. If anyone thinks of taking Gausman out of the rotation -- because he has options or for any other reasons -- they need to have their heads examined.

Maybe people can come down off the Gausman bashing bandwagon now. Two good starts in a row, hopefully he's onto something.

I didn't realize there was a Gausman bashing bandwagon. Then again, I didn't know there was a Bud Norris bandwagon either. Must be the same people.

Not too many curveballs today.

Nope, a foul ball for a strike and a ground ball out early on. I'd rather he bury that pitch to Castellanos than to make the mistake with the FB left out over the plate. It's a work in progress, but he needs it as little more than a pitch to show then he does as an out pitch. If he can throw it as a first pitch "get me over CU" when most everyone has to look FB even better.

When he has FB command like he has the last two starts he needs to use it early and often.

Nope, a foul ball for a strike and a ground ball out early on. I'd rather he bury that pitch to Castellanos than to make the mistake with the FB left out over the plate. It's a work in progress, but he needs it as little more than a pitch to show then he does as an out pitch. If he can throw it as a first pitch "get me over CU" when most everyone has to look FB even better.

When he has FB command like he has the last two starts he needs to use it early and often.

Also Caleb had a great interview where he said Det is a good breaking ball hitting team so with gausman's stuff challenging up and locating is a good approach.

He also had a pretty funny manny impression ;)

Archived