Interchangeable Parts

Bahama O's Fan

I believe Dan and Buck see some players as interchangeable parts. They can let them go, plug someone else in there and still be fine (Reynolds, Markakis). I think some of our pitching can be seen this way with the defense we have. The question I have is this: Who are the players that don't fit into this category? Who can we NOT get rid of?

I believe Dan and Buck see some players as interchangeable parts. They can let them go' date=' plug someone else in there and still be fine (Reynolds, Markakis). I think some of our pitching can be seen this way with the defense we have. The question I have is this: Who are the players that don't fit into this category? Who can we NOT get rid of?[/quote']

AJ and Manny. Only way to replace these guys is by developing a top prospect or bringing in a $100M+ free agent.

After that, we have some established above-average MLB experienced guys that would also be tough to replace--JJ, Chris Davis, Wieters, and all the starting pitchers.

Jones is the key to this team.

I don't think Buck or DD would trade the guy, I'm not going to say under any circumstances, but almost under any circumstances. Any of the other guys on the team are tradable.

DD said nobody on the roster is untradeable, but certain players will take allot for them to consider, and I think AJ fits this category.

There has to be a core of players on the team. The Orioles aren't just a bunch of interchangeable, replaceable orange-and-black jerseys. In my opinion, right now, the core consists of (position players): Adam Jones, Steve Pearce, Manny Machado, JJ Hardy. I'm not so sure about Chris Davis, partly because of his choice of agents (Scott Boras) -- Davis may very well walk after this year. Same with Wieters. As far as Nick Markakis, I was rather surprised that DD basically let him walk.

Players I would consider "semi-core" players would consist of Jonathan Schoop, maybe Ryan Flaherty as a utility player. The more I see Alejandro De Aza, he seems to be turning into one of those "semi-core" players. If Travis Snider works out, as he looks to be doing, despite that horrendous 3-run error, he should be around for awhile. He's young.

Starting pitching: Chris Tillman (even with his one crappy start this year; no pitcher is ever perfect).

I would like to believe that Miguel Gonzalez is part of our core; he's a Buck type of player, quality pitcher in spite of his FIP scores.

And then there is Ubaldo Jimenez. His big contract and his well-publicized struggles made him untradeable so he became a "core by default." However, in the meantime, he has worked his tail off to improve. If he continues pitching in ways resembling last Saturday's start, he'll turn into the ace that we've needed. Amazingly, the Camden Chat people, who were some of the most notorious Ubaldo-haters have finally come to his side. Last year, they were writing little ditties about how awful he was (see "O's Poetry" in the Fanposts section). Now, today, they are praising his work ethic which has led to the technique he has shown. Again, there will be days where he struggles a bit (which happens to every pitcher), but he'll no longer hear those boos that he used to hear. So I don't think he's going anywhere.

Chen and Norris, I believe, will be heading elsewhere after this season. Chen is a fine pitcher, and I'd love to see him stay. But I'm almost certain that Os management won't want to pay him what another team will pay. Norris, my personal jury is still out as far as his pitching prowess goes this season. But again, even if he regains his 2014 form, will Os management want to pay him?

Kevin Gausman will definitely stay. If he develops as far as he looks to be developing, he'll be around for quite a while.

We do have some younger starters coming up the pike. We'll see.

Relief pitchers: Zach Britton, unless he starts blowing saves all over the place. But there is no evidence that this will happen in the near future. Maybe Darren O'Day, unless he continues to give up key HRs. Ditto Tommy Hunter. Other than these, most relief pitchers are considered replaceable parts on most teams.

Archived