Can Dan Duquette win two Executive of the Year Awards in a row?

wildcard

Its not supposed to work this way. Not every move that a GM makes is supposed to work. Some normally just don't work out. But Dan's foresight looks pretty good right now.

Both Alejandro De Aza and Travis Snider were supposed to be small moves. Guys with salaries $5M salaries or less that other clubs were discarding for better players. One had a reputation of being lazy. Another a high draft choice that just never fulfilled his potential. Both moves are looking good at the moment. De Aza adds speed to a slow lineup and surprising pop. Adam Jones touts Snider's range and he seems patient at the plate with good OBP potential. Something the O's have been lacking for years.

Then there is Everth Cabrera. Suspended for steroid use, having a bad 2014 on the field, plagued with injuries, he then gets into trouble with the cops. The Padres abandon him. This next move was jail. Until Dan takes a liking to him.

Dan get his boss to settle the legal problems. Signs the former All-Star to a relatively cheap contract and now he seem on his way back to a successful career. He takes over at shortstop for Hardy while he is injured. He looks good. He is willing to play anywhere and might get the chance to do just that.

And what about the real clunker. The $50M pitcher that ended up in the bullpen last year. The guy that was offered this winter to anyone that would take that contract. Well a good spring later and with a very encouraging first start to the season things are beginning to look different. Wouldn't it be amazing if that investment paid off?

And how are Ubaldo and the O's pitching staff making this big turn around over the last year plus? Dropping almost a run per game off their ERA? A guy that Dan knew from Boston is brought in as pitching coach. And then Dave Wallace brings in one of his old pitchers to coach Ubaldo. Fellow Dominican Ramon Martinez might be making a difference.

Then there are pick ups like Reimold, Parmelee, Steve Johnson, Urrutia and Dariel Alvarez in Norfolk.

It appears that Dan's ability to build a scouting department and then make good decisions from their recommendations might be the thing that pays off the biggest for the O's. While the other AL East teams are spending big, Dan is finding cheap bargains with upside.

Second consecutive Executive of the Year Award. I don't know if that happens. But I will not bet against Dan. Right now he looks to be on a roll.

I doubt it. I think it will go to either Cherrington or Beane depending on how their teams do. DD is basically relying on the same team as last year.

Did you read the post or just the title? If Dan's cheap moves pay off it will not be the same team. His acquisitions could make a difference. In spite of losing Markakis, Cruz and Miller.

o

Whether or not Duquette deserves to win back-to-back awards and if he actually gets it may be two different animals.

The last M.L.B. executive to win the award for 2 consecutive seasons was John Hart of the Indians in 1994 and 1995.

The only other time ever that there was a winner in consecutive seasons was when George Weiss won 3 in a row for the Yankees in 1951, 1952, and 1953.

We'll see what happens.

o

Whether or not Duquette deserves to win back-to-back awards and if he actually gets it may be two different animals.

The last M.L.B. executive to win the award for 2 consecutive seasons was John Hart of the Indians in 1994 and 1995.

The only other time ever that there was a winner in consecutive seasons was when George Weiss won 3 in a row for the Yankees in 1951, 1952, and 1953.

We'll see what happens.

If they ever did a sports jeopardy, you sir, would be a shoe in to win.

Have to agree with CrazySilver. Not enough moves to get him a 2nd consecutive. It will go to Preller if San Diego is even in playoff contention. He'll win it easy if they were to actually make it.

Gotta think Dombrowski has a chance in Detroit if Shane Greene and Alfredo Simon look this good all year long. That's 2/5 of a rotation for a likely playoff team.

And no moves to shore up the Tiger's bullpen, which was their Achilles heel.

True, but he made one move last year that might payoff this year. Joakim Soria.

You need more than one arm, and there is lots of holes in the bullpen to get to that one arm.

Bringing in Price last season was nice, letting their Ace goto the Nationals, really irks some of the Tiger fans.

Remains to be seen, if Verlander stay on the DL is short lived or not.

Did you read the post or just the title? If Dan's cheap moves pay off it will not be the same team. His acquisitions could make a difference. In spite of losing Markakis, Cruz and Miller.

I read your post and disagreed. And I laughed that part of your rationale was the additions on Nolan Reimold and Steve Johnson.

Have to agree with CrazySilver. Not enough moves to get him a 2nd consecutive. It will go to Preller if San Diego is even in playoff contention. He'll win it easy if they were to actually make it.

Gotta think Dombrowski has a chance in Detroit if Shane Greene and Alfredo Simon look this good all year long. That's 2/5 of a rotation for a likely playoff team.

Was thinking about mentioning Detroit with the way Greene and Simon have started the year. Just didn't feeling like looking up the name of the GM to spell it right haha.

I read your post and disagreed. And I laughed that part of your rationale was the additions on Nolan Reimold and Steve Johnson.

Don't laugh too hard. Both players could contribute to the O's this season. Johnson sounds healthy and pitching like he did a couple of years ago. Reimold is healthy and has a opt out in July. If he is doing well the O's may not want to lose him.

Don't laugh too hard. Both players could contribute to the O's this season. Johnson sounds healthy and pitching like he did a couple of years ago. Reimold is healthy and has a opt out in July. If he is doing well the O's may not want to lose him.

But, there is only so much room on the 25 man roster.

Archived