Adam Jones chances to make the Hall of Fame.

Gurgi

I was just curious about this. I know now it looks very unlikely but he does have four gold gloves....he also has put up some very impressive seasons with the bat as of last.

I have linked to a article of Hall of Fame centerfielders. Frankly he rates very well compared to Andre Dawson. http://www.baseball-almanac.com/hof/hofstce.shtml

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/j/jonesad01.shtml

Baseball reference has similar players thur his age being Dave Winfield and................................Andre Dawson. These are two members of the Hall. I think Jones has a long way to go but IF he can avoid major injury I can see him being our next Hall of Famer.

What say you?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He does compare quite well to Andre Dawson through age 28. We took a look at his similarity scores not long ago and there are some good names on there, not just Hall of Famers (Dawson, Dave Winfield) but near misses (Jack Clark, Reggie Smith) and a future HOFer (Carlos Beltran).

Even though he's not in Jones' top 10 similarity scores, I have always looked at him as the next Torii Hunter. Both are right handed CFers with decent power (Jones appears to have a bit more) and a relatively low OBP. Both have the exact same career OPS+ as of this date (111). Both are fairly good defenders in their prime, with gold glove hardware, and both are locker room leaders. I can see Jones following Hunter's career path as well, meaning he'll be productive into his late 30s. Does that make either a HOFer though? Not Likely.

He is a lock for AL Player of the Month. Win that and go from there. An MVP would sure help his case and he is playing at that level right now.

Cruz will give Adam a run for his money this month. As far as the HOF, Adam's is not even at the halfway point of his career. Fortunately for us, he's got a decade of playing left in him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is hard to know if players who played in the sabermetric era will be judged the same way as players who didn't. I really don't want to speculate because the players who make it tend to have very long careers and play very good baseball into their mid-to-late 30's. There's no telling if Jones will be able to do that.

It is hard to know if players who played in the sabermetric era will be judged the same way as players who didn't.

You know that the standards are going up, maybe significantly up. Just because of expansion. There are roughly twice as many good players as there were 50 years ago (not even considering the upward trajectory of quality of play), but there seems to be about zero inclination to induct twice as many players.

He does compare quite well to Andre Dawson through age 28. We took a look at his similarity scores not long ago and there are some good names on there, not just Hall of Famers (Dawson, Dave Winfield) but near misses (Jack Clark, Reggie Smith) and a future HOFer (Carlos Beltran).

Even though he's not in Jones' top 10 similarity scores, I have always looked at him as the next Torii Hunter. Both are right handed CFers with decent power (Jones appears to have a bit more) and a relatively low OBP. Both have the exact same career OPS+ as of this date (111). Both are fairly good defenders in their prime, with gold glove hardware, and both are locker room leaders. I can see Jones following Hunter's career path as well, meaning he'll be productive into his late 30s. Does that make either a HOFer though? Not Likely.

I too have long felt that Hunter is a good comp for Jones. Jones offers a little more bat, but Torii had the better glove in his prime.

Either way, what a trade the Bedard one was. Thanks again Bill Bavasi. I have enjoyed watching Adam evolve from a 22 year old kid in a new city for a team that had floundered under 500 for a decade to the leader of a contender in a renaissance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You know that the standards are going up, maybe significantly up. Just because of expansion. There are roughly twice as many good players as there were 50 years ago (not even considering the upward trajectory of quality of play), but there seems to be about zero inclination to induct twice as many players.

I agree with your post. Spot on.

Archived