Andres Mora passes away

SteveA

Pneumonia, age 60.

Earl searched far and wide for guys that could hit for power. He found Andres in Mexico and he was a part time player for us for a few years.

I remember going to a game with my Webelos troop, it took 2 or 3 parents who had station wagons to drive us all (the minivan hadn't been invented yet and only weirdos drove vans). We got to the game late, and arrived in the bottom of the first or second, and just as I walked out the portal in the upper deck behind home plate, probably section 41 or 1, Andres hit a magnificant blast out to left field for a home run.

Andres went back to Mexico after his major league career sputtered, and played well past the age of 40 and is one of the all time HR leaders in the Mexican League, I believe.

http://www.vanguardia.com.mx/muereelbeisbolistaandresmoraibarra-2339614.html

I remember Mora had an unusual way of holding the bat when he took his stance. He held his right arm so that the upper arm stuck straight out, parallel to the ground.

I tried to copy his stance when I went to bat in my softball league, but it totally did not work for me.

Some may remember September 15, 1977, when the Orioles forfeited a game in Toronto. Earl Weaver refused to let the Orioles take the field for the bottom of the fifth because, with rain falling, there was a tarp spread over the bullpen mound in foul territory off the left field line. Weaver claimed it would be a hazard to his left fielder, who might slip on the tarp if he had to chase a foul ball over there.

The Orioles' left fielder that night, whom Weaver was ostensibly trying to protect, was Andres Mora.

Actually, it's my belief that Weaver, with the Orioles already behind 4-0 and doing nothing against Jays' pitcher Jim Clancy, figured the game was already lost. He wanted to avoid the possibility that a rain delay might make it impossible for the Orioles to get out of Toronto that night, since in those days the Toronto airport shut down after a certain hour, with no flights allowed in or out until the next morning.

I remember Mora had an unusual way of holding the bat when he took his stance. He held his right arm so that the upper arm stuck straight out, parallel to the ground.

I tried to copy his stance when I went to bat in my softball league, but it totally did not work for me.

Some may remember September 15, 1977, when the Orioles forfeited a game in Toronto. Earl Weaver refused to let the Orioles take the field for the bottom of the fifth because, with rain falling, there was a tarp spread over the bullpen mound in foul territory off the left field line. Weaver claimed it would be a hazard to his left fielder, who might slip on the tarp if he had to chase a foul ball over there.

The Orioles' left fielder that night, whom Weaver was ostensibly trying to protect, was Andres Mora.

Actually, it's my belief that Weaver, with the Orioles already behind 4-0 and doing nothing against Jays' pitcher Jim Clancy, figured the game was already lost. He wanted to avoid the possibility that a rain delay might make it impossible for the Orioles to get out of Toronto that night, since in those days the Toronto airport shut down after a certain hour, with no flights allowed in or out until the next morning.

Wow, I'd never heard that before.

Archived