SS Chris Owings, Trade Target?

MASNPalmer

MLBTradeRumors.com highlights that the D-Backs are considering shopping SS/2B Chris Owings. I'm honestly shocked a franchise in rebuilding mode would consider this, but I suppose it's not TOO surprising given their inclination to trade Bauer a couple years back.

It's rare to find buy low candidates in the middle infield (though Hardy was one -- and we all know how that's worked out), let alone with the pedigree and skill set Owings possesses. First round pick back in 2009 out of high school, he has good speed, moderate pop, and a bat that should definitely stick in the bigs. He was in the ROY of the year talk last year before fading after needing surgery to repair his left shoulder. Missed most of ST this year and has been in and out of the lineup since the D-Backs rotate Hill, Ahmed, and Owings around. So with that he's slashing just .235 w/ 3 HR and 12 SB.

But last year as a 22yr old he hit .261 w/ 6 HR and 8 SB in just 91 MLB games, good for a 1.9 WAR in little over half a season. He's 5 years YOUNGER than Flaherty and could provide good speed, flexibility in the MI, and insurance for Hardy for his eventual (if not already happening) decline.

I think the power is there as he gets older to consistently hit ~15 HR and steal 20 bags while hitting north of .255ish and play both SS and 2B. What would it take? Anyone else interested? He's cheap and cost controlled through 2020. I'd imagine with all the position players the D Backs have (Lamb, Thomas, Ahmed, Inciarte, Hill, Peralta, etc) that the D-Backs are looking for arms. Does a Wright for Owings swap get the conversation started?

Not what the O's need right now. They have Manny, Hardy, Schoop and Flaherty. They need to add a bat in the outfield or a starting pitcher. I don't see the fit.

No concern at all that Hardy is hitting like a pitcher after an offensive decline last year? I think he'd be a decent buy low target that could be a good backup option and potentially a starter if Hardy continues to lose it.

No concern at all that Hardy is hitting like a pitcher after an offensive decline last year? I think he'd be a decent buy low target that could be a good backup option and potentially a starter if Hardy continues to lose it.

Arizona is not looking to trade him to a team looking for a utility infielder. They would consider a trade to a team looking for a starting shortstop and willing to pay a corresponding price. They aren't dumping Owings... they are looking for maximum return or they will keep him. This is a non-starter for the Orioles.

Archived