Kevin is a professional

player. The wave shouldn't distract him. The wave is not the reason he gave up

the home run. Do we have to live in a society where even a wave or a cheer has

to be offensive to someone? Good gosh man it's a ball game. Let folks have fun

for goodness sakes.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Who said anything about the wave being offensive? Most of us hate it because it's outdated, dumb and shows that the game on the field is not interesting enough for you so you participate in alternate entertainment.

You didn't read his post well...try again. And what OFFNY said.

Edit: And what Tx Oriole said.

for goodness sakes.

Again I hate fun.

Also I didn't say I was offended

for goodness sakes.

Who said the wave is offensive? As stated above, it is outdated and shows fan interest is not where it should be. Which is on the game. Cheer as loud as you want. Yell, scream, stand up, jump up and down, boo the umps, boo the other team. But the "Wave"? Really? I think it's lame.

I can appreciate the perspective from the traditionalist, purist, and elitist.

They make similar arguments to Baltimore fans yelling O during the anthem.

But I took my youth baseball team to a game and the wave broke out.

They loved it and it made their night even better.

I understand we live in a society where everything is offensive.

Songs, waves, chants, can all be ignored if you don't enjoy them.

Its a game played for entertainment.

I agree. I actually enjoy the wave, but it probably shouldn't be done during tight game situations. As for the "O!" shouted during the national anthem, the fans do that at Ravens games as well. Seems to have become a Baltimore thing.

Who said anything about the wave being offensive? Most of us hate it because it's outdated, dumb and shows that the game on the field is not interesting enough for you so you participate in alternate entertainment.
If you don't like the wave, think that it's dumb, outdated, etc.--- then don't do it. Go for some ice cream, a beer, a coke, use the restroom or whatever when fans start doing the wave.

Who said the wave is offensive? As stated above, it is outdated and shows fan interest is not where it should be. Which is on the game. Cheer as loud as you want. Yell, scream, stand up, jump up and down, boo the umps, boo the other team. But the "Wave"? Really? I think it's lame.

I think the wave is lame. I like other spontaneous or contrived crowd activities. It's the wave I hate.

Personally, I can't stand the mexican wave - in any sport. It's usually a sign that the game is dull, and aside from a distraction to the players, it can be annoying if you just want to watch the game.

Don't know if it distracts pitchers - although I often think that the custom of standing and applauding with the hitter on a 2-strike count may well pile unnecessary pressure on a pitcher, but maybe thats just me.

That said, I rather like Seven Nation Army.

Don't care about the wave. i wish they would stop the people from going to your sit until a pitch is thrown or a play is completed. Some stadiums have ushers that stop you from doing this. I would say about five or six that i have seen. Also do people have to get up from their seat every half inning. Can people sit for a whole inning. Some people seem like they have to either be eating or drinking from the start of the game till the end. Watch maybe a little of the game. Go eat out at a restaurant. Then the people on their cellphone who have to wave to the people in the upper deck about where they are sitting. Go talk to them if you want but is it that important to show the place you are sitting like landing an airplane. Go meet them in the concourse to say hello. Please do this between innings and not during plays. This PSA has been brought to you by Ranty.

If a pitcher is distracted by what people are doing in the stands, he must have some pretty big issues. If home fans doing the wave during a summer ballgame affects your game, what do you think is gonna happen in October at Yankee stadium, or game 7 on the road, etc?

Archived