Dear Fans: Please don't do the wave while our pitcher is on the mound

TheDirtyBird

As someone who sat in the stands with Wild Bill and remember rabid fans into every pitch, I find the wave offensive. Why, because people ignore the game they paid good money to see. It shows they are there to have a good time and socialize instead of rooting hard for the Orioles. People partaking have no idea about the count, no idea who's up, know idea if what is happening is good or bad for the home team. I don't expect everyone to care like I care but is it too much to ask them to pay attention to what's going on?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As someone who sat in the stands with Wild Bill and remember rabid fans into every pitch, I find the wave offensive. Why, because people ignore the game they paid good money to see. It shows they are there to have a good time and socialize instead of rooting hard for the Orioles. People partaking have no idea about the count, no idea who's up, know idea if what is happening is good or bad for the home team. I don't expect everyone to care like I care but is it too much to ask them to pay attention to what's going on?

Lol, you have got to be kidding. The whole point of sports, whether that be playing or watching, is to have fun. Paying to go see a ballgame, as a fan, is a social event in and of itself

Lol, you have got to be kidding. The whole point of sports, whether that be playing or watching, is to have fun. Paying to go see a ballgame, as a fan, is a social event in and of itself

Not kidding, sorry. I hate the wave. I wish more people were into the game and less were there to socialize. You are entitled to your opinion and your are entitled to do the wave. I am also entitled to my opinion whether you agree or not.

I would rather people be doing the wave than texting on their phones or ignoring the game altogether. Stuff like the hot dog race, crab shuffle, wave, 7th-inning stretch, etc are good things becuase they keep fans involved. For people like us that are die-hard fans and can name everyone on the team and something about them, the stadium antics might not be a selling point. But they can help bring out the less hardcore fans like kids, girlfriends, families, etc.

I dislike the wave pretty intensely. When folks've done it during really crucial moments I've even been tempted once or twice to shout "down in front" when my view's been blocked by wavers mid-play. Tempted, haven't done it.

Anecdotal / circumstantial evidence that the wave is not for actual baseball fans - no waves at Fenway while I was there (June 2000, Cal pulled up lame at 1B late in a rain-delayed extra-inning game), and as much as I despise most Sawx fans (even pre-2004 bandwagon) I begrudgingly have to give them respect for displaying the highest level of knowledge/expertise in the ballpark. They knew when to make noise and when not to, all without artificial prompting from the PA system. And they sure as hell didn't do the wave.

I agree. I actually enjoy the wave, but it probably shouldn't be done during tight game situations. As for the "O!" shouted during the national anthem, the fans do that at Ravens games as well. Seems to have become a Baltimore thing.

I spent the entire 1990s driving to Indy every year to attend the 500. Yelled "O" during the anthem there and began wearing Stallions / Ravens gear in 1994. 2001 was my last time doing this, the year after our first SB win, and I tried/failed to get into several fistfights.

I would rather people be doing the wave than texting on their phones or ignoring the game altogether. Stuff like the hot dog race, crab shuffle, wave, 7th-inning stretch, etc are good things becuase they keep fans involved. For people like us that are die-hard fans and can name everyone on the team and something about them, the stadium antics might not be a selling point. But they can help bring out the less hardcore fans like kids, girlfriends, families, etc.

I'd rather they text than do the wave. What the game needs might be more singing. I know, soccer-like stuff is verboten in these here parts, but tell me you wouldn't love a good 40,000-voice OPACY rendition of a bawdy tale of Jose Bautista's or Eric Hosmer's exploits at the local brothel last night, that may or may not have involved ARod and several umpires.

I'd rather they text than do the wave. What the game needs might be more singing. I know, soccer-like stuff is verboten in these here parts, but tell me you wouldn't love a good 40,000-voice OPACY rendition of a bawdy tale of Jose Bautista's or Eric Hosmer's exploits at the local brothel last night, that may or may not have involved ARod and several umpires.

I would agree with this. I've gone to some soccer games and that is a fun aspect of being a fan of that sport. That would be a lot of fun and it's still easy to watch the game while singing, no need to look around waiting for the wave to come by.

Archived