Wieters left wrist injury

Going Underground

Sorry did not put in the source.

Orioles catcher Matt Wieters missed Saturday afternoon’s game against the Toronto Blue Jays with a left wrist injury he suffered while diving toward the first-base bag attempting to tag Blue Jays shortstop in the sixth inning Friday night in Toronto..

Wieters absence was peculiar considering his strong numbers against Toronto left-hander David Price. Wieters is 15-for-44, hitting .341 with one homer and four RBIs in his career against Price. It seemed especially odd when didn’t pinch hit against Price with two on and one out in the seventh inning, with the Orioles’ eighth and ninth batters hitting.

After the Orioles’ 5-1 loss Saturday at Rogers Centre, manager Buck Showalter said Wieters wasn’t available but he hoped the catcher would be able to start Sunday’s series finale against the Blue Jays.

Wieters was optimistic he would be able to play Sunday, and said X-rays on the wrist were negative.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bal-matt-wieters-missed-saturdays-game-in-toronto-with-left-wrist-injury-20150905-story.html

Just sit Wieters the rest of the year. Joseph is the everyday catcher moving forward anyhow. Wieters is looking more and more like someone that the O's won't risk offering a QO.

You can't sit Wieters every day and then offer him a QO. He would be foolish to turn it down.

Let someone else give MW a contract like R.Martin got. 5/82 million. I think someone will at least give him 4/48 which means he won't be accepting a Q.O.

Very little chance.

Let him know that if he does though, we see him as a part time C and part time 1B if CD is gone.

That might help give him a little boost out the door and less incentive to try to sign a QO to establish more value (don't think there is much anyway)

Very little chance.

Let him know that if he does though, we see him as a part time C and part time 1B if CD is gone.

That might help give him a little boost out the door and less incentive to try to sign a QO to establish more value (don't think there is much anyway)

You can not tell a player that they will not play if they accept the offer. You will lose the player and the pick if you even imply this. MLb and MLBPA would both club you like a baby seal. If not take your franchise away from you.

You can not tell a player that they will not play if they accept the offer. You will lose the player and the pick if you even imply this. MLb and MLBPA would both club you like a baby seal. If not take your franchise away from you.

You can't tell a player he wont play of course but if a reporter asked DD what if MW signs the QO can't DD say something like....we would be glad to have him and would use him at C and perhaps some at 1B

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

You can't tell a player he wont play of course but if a reporter asked DD what if MW signs the QO can't DD say something like....we would be glad to have him and would use him at C and perhaps some at 1B

Nope, can't. It is a whole hearted offer. You may trade him the day after he signs it and reap a profit or a loss as well.

Nope, can't. It is a whole hearted offer. You may trade him the day after he signs it and reap a profit or a loss as well.

So basically you cant comment on how you would use the player....odd.

I have to imagine there are ways in which this type of information can be appropriatley conveyed....happens all the time.

I doubt its worth the effort though. MW is not taking a QO IMO. I would be genuinly shocked

Thinking about it Weams....I know you agree that MW is not likely to take the QO, I also think the fact that CJ is on the roster plays into his likely decision to not accept the QO. If he did take a QO, the goal would be to establish his value for a big payday, I am not so sure you try to do that on a team that has another legit candidate to play in your place if you get off to a rough start. Point is that from MW and Boras POV, even if MW was going to take a deal to establish his value as a commodity again, they might be better off doing it elsewhere even if the money was less than the QO.

I imagine Dan would say that Buck makes all of those type of decisions.

Archived