Will the Orioles be dealing with "Confederate money" this off-season?

mdbdotcom

I'm not saying it will have an effect. But, will the riots that occurred this past season play a role in a players decision? So many players mention playing in a city they feel comfortable in with their families. Will that be something agents use to try and pry more money out of the Orioles?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm not saying it will have an effect. But, will the riots that occurred this past season play a role in a players decision? So many players mention playing in a city they feel comfortable in with their families. Will that be something agents use to try and pry more money out of the Orioles?

How many folks outside of Maryland even remember the riots?

I think you are overestimating the general population.

How many folks outside of Maryland even remember the riots?

I think you are overestimating the general population.

It was national news for a week. And agents will use every nugget to squeeze out more money. My in laws live in upstate NY near Canada and still worry about us going to the inner harbor.

I guess we will see in the offseason, I think if at least Davis resigns, then more FAs will come knocking

Remember when several members of the Orioles team showed up at the Nelson Cruz press conference with a somewhat stunned look on their faces?

Yes, it's important to show players on the team a commitment. The Davis signing is becoming a huge key to this off season. If not him, it's gotta be a Cespedes or somebody; a trade, something. Could be a stud pitcher. Whatever it is, can be used as a springboard to fill in the rest of the holes on the team.

My guess is the "guys" that like it here our MW, O'day and Pearce. To me worst case scenario would be losing Davis and Chen and panicking and paying MW and O'day. O'day is going to be worth his contract, don't get me wrong. But for a team on a budget can we really afford to have O'day salary as a set up man.

My opinion is that if we bring back just Davis it will be the right call.

I expect a lot of turnover, and not just the free agents. When you have a strong core like the O's, and it performs well, and you still don't win, you have to replace the people who are supposed to be supporting the core. Those are the ones who failed to live up to expectations. So, I expect most of the veterans like Pearce, Flaherty, Reimold, Parra, Wieters, O'Day, Gonzalez, Jimenez, and maybe even Tillman will be candidates for being replaced. Not saying they will all be gone, but many will. I don't know how he will do it, but Duquette has proved over the years that he is very resourceful. We might see some surprising moves.

Archived