Keith Law criticizes Buck

eddie83

I know the team gets criticized over development but never towards Buck.

I get frustrated in the postgame where he rarely gets questioned about specific decisions. I know it is New York but I watched Girardi the other day get asked specific questions about his moves. With our media it is the standard how did so and so look.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I know the team gets criticized over development but never towards Buck.

I get frustrated in the postgame where he rarely gets questioned about specific decisions. I know it is New York but I watched Girardi the other day get asked specific questions about his moves. With our media it is the standard how did so and so look.

Can I ask...why does this seem to matter to people so much? Like what difference does it make?

Reporter "Buck why did you leave so and so in"

Buck "I thought they we had a good match up so and so seemed to be in a good place"

You\Others "OMG they asked why he made a decision"

Me "They still lost..."

Can I ask...why does this seem to matter to people so much? Like what difference does it make?

Reporter "Buck why did you leave so and so in"

Buck "I thought they we had a good match up so and so seemed to be in a good place"

You\Others "OMG they asked why he made a decision"

Me "They still lost..."

I want to hear the logic behind the decision. We all watched the game and we get the how did so and so look. Buck played the infield in vs the Twins on that Friday night game and then pinch hit for Flaherty in the Sunday game vs the Twins when he didn't have to and neither time he was asked about it. It would have have been my first question both times and they aren't asked at all. What is the point of the press conference then?

A pet peeve of mine with the media is that sometimes a reputation, good of bad influences things too much. A good player or good manager/coach can have a bad game. A Kyle Boller can have a good game or a bad coach can outcoach a good coach from time to time. Just because Buck is considered a good to great strategist doesn't mean he should get a free pass.

I think Buck's obsession with TTP has hindered some of our young prospects. I know Matusz struggled b/c of it.

Arrieta was having having problems long before Buck got here. I have more problems with his handling of Gausman. The repeated yo-yoing of Gausman his first 2 years between Norfolk and Baltimore hindered his development, IMO.

I see this as an excuse here quite often and personally don't buy it and in fact, think it's rather lame. Moving him back and forth has little to nothing to do with the fact he us a two pitch starter who who either can't or won't throw a curve ball or slider for some reason.

I see this as an excuse here quite often and personally don't buy it and in fact, think it's rather lame. Moving him back and forth has little to nothing to do with the fact he us a two pitch starter who who either can't or won't throw a curve ball or slider for some reason.

Not true. Find facts. Gausman has in fact five distinct pitches that I have seen him throw this year in MLB ballgames.

Not true. Find facts. Gausman has in fact five distinct pitches that I have seen him throw this year in MLB ballgames.

Right ...and the mistake with Gausman is more on the front office IMO. Based on his pitching last season the team should've traded Norris or Gonzalez (selling high) last off season to make room in the rotation. The bigger sin is wasting his season between the bullpen an AAA. Plus the front office never seems to be able to make the right decision in these situations. The same thing happened at the deadline when they should've been selling but decided to continue to try to add.

The logic behind it is much like the government and the press. You want a press that is constantly attacking the government, questioning it, etc., because it keeps the citizenry informed, thereby keeping the government in check. When the press becomes a lapdog for the government, bad things happen. The principle applies to the baseball team as well. Find a sports market where the press is not real combative or critical of the team, and I'll show you a team that probably isn't very good for very long.

This is something I 100% agree with. I don't understand why the media doesn't question Buck about his handling of Gausman or wonder how Arrieta was able to turn around his career so quickly after getting away from Buck and this organization. Posters on this board still criticize Ken Rosenthal for being a Negative Nancy while he was with the Baltimore Sun but a Ken Rosenthal-type baseball columnist is badly needed in this town. I wish there was a media member out there willing to challenge Buck and ask the tough questions.

Why? What good would it do? As for Jake he turned it around after five years in

Chicago. If he is a messiah why didnt he pitch lights out when he got to the Cubs? Since when does Buck hire the pitching coach? He has a say of course but he

doesn't hire them. IMO

Why? What good would it do? As for Jake he turned it around after five years in

Chicago. If he is a messiah why didnt he pitch lights out when he got to the Cubs? Since when does Buck hire the pitching coach? He has a say of course but he

doesn't hire them. IMO

I feel like I'm missing something. Did you mean to type "five weeks"?

Why? What good would it do? As for Jake he turned it around after five years in Chicago. If he is a messiah why didnt he pitch lights out when he got to the Cubs? Since when does Buck hire the pitching coach? He has a say of course but he doesn't hire them. IMO

Someone else may technically do the hiring but you better believe Buck signs off on his own coaching staff.

Maybe we can get the Sun to have Mike Preston cover the Orioles. That would be a hoot

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">From time to time, we should remember and appreciate that Davey Johnson once called Joe Maddon a "weird wuss."</p>— Dayn Perry (@daynperry) <a href="

">September 14, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Archived