Will Tillman's down year cost Wallace his job?

wildcard

The O's may have a pattern that is forming. When a core player has an off season the O's bring in a coach to get him back to his high level of performance. When Chris Davis had a off year in 2014, Scott Coolbaugh who had experience in fixing him was made hitting coach. It worked. When Ubaldo Jimenez had an off year, Ramon Martinez was brought in as a special coach to help him find his old form. It worked.

Now Tillman has a ERA over 5.00 after several years of being in the mid 3.00's. Wallace didn't seem to be able to help him recover. Mike Griffin, the O's AAA pitching coach, has helped him in the past. Might that be a move the O's make this off season? Griffin as pitching coach and Ramon as bullpen coach?

What do you think? Is there a pattern forming?

Would Ramon be interested in a full time job?

And if they are acting in this manner then I strongly disagree with it.

You don't change coaches for the sake of a single player.

Especially when said player is in their walk year.

Neither Jimenez nor Tillman are in their walk year.

The O's were hopeful the 2015 was their year to go deep in the playoffs. But they needed Davis to return to form to help that happen. We have seem O's management make short term moves to try to help the O's win now. Trading for Feldman, Parra and Miller as rental players. Hiring a coach to help a key player in his walk year is right in line with that thinking.

Not saying its right. Just making a observation.

Pitching coaches since Buck took over in mid-2010:

1. Kranitz (was there when Buck arrived)

2. Connor (left for "personal reasons")

3. Adair (left for "personal reasons")

4. Castro (temporary replacement)

5. Wallace (???)

I think the only pattern is that being the pitching coach for Buck is a tough job to keep.

Pitching coaches since Buck took over in mid-2010:

1. Kranitz (was there when Buck arrived)

2. Connor (left for "personal reasons")

3. Adair (left for "personal reasons")

4. Castro (temporary replacement)

5. Wallace (???)

I think the only pattern is that being the pitching coach for Buck is a tough job to keep.

When I look at how poor the O's pitching has been besides 2014, there is good reason for turn over.

2010: 4.59 ERA 13th place; Kranitz let go after the season

2011: 4.89 ERA Last place; Conner hired and left in June; Adair promoted to PC.

2012: 3.90 ERA 6th place

2013: 4.20 ERA 10th place; Adair let go late in the season; Castro filled in

2014: 3.43 ERA 3rd place: Wallace hired

2015: 4.05 ERA 9th place; ??????

How did Mike Griffin help Tillman? Tillman stunk every time he came up to the majors and started regressing at AAA. The reports are that Rick Peterson started working with him. Although Buck hated that Peterson started taking credit, the reports at the time were just that?

Buck loves Wallace and Chiti. They aren't going anywhere unless they decide to.

Well, that could cause tension. If Dan wants Peterson as pitching coach and Buck doesn't want him.

Who said Duquette wants Peterson as the ML pitching coach? I don't think that's the case at all. I would guess that Buck and DD are both quite happy to have Wallace and Chiti.

Why the delay in hiring them for next year? Do you think Wallace wants to leave?

Wallace and Chiti were hired before 2014. In 2014 our pitching was the best it's been in a long time. Both are well respected pitching coaches in the industry, unlike Castro and Adair, two of the names on the list. Kranitz was just a victim of being in he previous regime and not being hand picked by Buck. No one knows the real story behind Connor but he wasn't let go because of the pitcher's performance. There was something more going on there.

I asked Chris myself about that. HE told me that he worked with Rick Peterson, but that he felt that Griffin helped him simplify and find a trigger that made him much better. HE told me that the sting therapy did not deem to help him much. Chris would never say anything negative about one of his bosses, but he really likes Griffin.

I have watched Rick Peterson bring new technology and real formalized processes to our lower minor league pitchers and I saw him work intensely with all the Bowie pitchers this year. Including Givens. Rick Peterson is one of these guys who has a plan and a process and theories that he says apply to all pitching. He is very interested in biometrics.

Have any coaches been hired yet for next year? I have no idea what Dave Wallace wants. There have been no comments or reports that would lead me to believe he wants to leave or wants to stay. I only assume that Buck wants him back.

Our assistant manager, John Russell, was renewed.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">All the coaches have been told they'd be welcome back.</p>— Brittany Ghiroli (@Britt_Ghiroli) <a href="

">October 5, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Smells fishy.

From Roch:

Duquette and Showalter want to keep the group intact and continue discussions. Duquette said the Orioles are trying to "get that resolved as soon as we can." However, a few coaches are drawing interest from other clubs.

If the O's management wanted them all back why didn't they resign them months ago? They were under contract. Other teams should not have been able to talk to them about employment.

Archived