All things being equal, would you prefer to sign Chris Davis or David Price?

mdbdotcom

Who Would You Sign?  

89 members have voted

1. 1. Who Would You Sign?

"I made a mistake" is a simple assertion, hardly humbling ...... but some people cannot bring themselves to say it.

It was a writing error. I admitted to that. The sentence is correct. Our lefty meaning off season target. Price isn't on that list because of what DD has said about getting depth.

I know people are butt hurt that someone has knocked the topic into reality by stating the obvious about how Price isn't even close to affordable for what the orioles want to do.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"I made a mistake" is a simple assertion, hardly humbling ...... but some people cannot bring themselves to say it.

It was a writing error. I admitted to that. The sentence is correct. Our lefty meaning off season target. Price isn't on that list because of what DD has said about getting depth.

I know people are butt hurt that someone has knocked the topic into reality by stating the obvious about how Price isn't even close to affordable for what the orioles want to do.

"Price isn't OUR lefty."

As VA Tech noted, it makes no sense at all in the context that you are claiming to have been using it in.

Something is certainly a waste of space. Keep making really authoritative statements while screwing up such difficult facts as whether Price is a lefty. And no, I didn't buy your excuse. "Our lefty" doesn't work in the context of the original sentence, since you also mentioned Kazmir as a lefty who wasn't moving. You're fast rising the ranks as my least favorite read here.

As to the original question, Price would be the choice of the two for the same contract and it isn't close. I wouldn't go after Price though if all choices are available.

It wasn't a writing error. Nobody speaks that way in that particular context ("Price/So and so isn't OUR lefty.")

You simply can't admit that you are wrong about anything ....... ever.

Something is certainly a waste of space. Keep making really authoritative statements while screwing up such difficult facts as whether Price is a lefty. And no I didn't buy your excuse. "Our lefty" doesn't work in the context of the original sentence since you also mentioned Kazmir as a lefty who wasn't moving. You're fast rising the ranks as my least favorite read here.

As to the original question, Price would be the choice of the two for the same contract and it isn't close. I wouldn't go after Price though if all choices are available.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Our lefty is a way of saying free agent target. I listed two FAs that would be in that range. Also stated that Kazmir will sign with Houston as one of those FAs. Kazmir is from Houston, grew up watching them and he isn't gonna walk away unless big money.

Price is gonna get Scherzer money. Orioles can't drop $30m on a pitcher and at pitching depth that is reliable. So they will trade and look for a $15m range pitcher. So on a another topic Harvey for Britton would do the trick in getting depth, an ace, signing a lefty (Chen) and Davis.

"Price isn't OUR lefty."

As VA Tech noted, it makes no sense at all in the context that you are claiming to have been using it in.

It wasn't a writing error. Nobody speaks that way in that particular context ("Price/So and so isn't OUR lefty.")

You simply can't admit that you are wrong about anything ....... ever.

So you know how I speak in person?

So you know how I speak in person?

I know that you are the same person that refused to admit the simplest error when Weams corrected you about how many games behind the 2nd wildcard team that the Orioles were.

You said that they were 4 games back, Weams informed you that they were indeed 3 and-a-half back, and EVEN THEN you insisted that you were correct ...... based on your assertion that the Orioles "had to win that game," and that "You can't win half of a game." You actually went on and on and argued that you were correct until a couple of other posters came in and informed you that you were wrong. The Orioles were 3 and-a-half games behind.

That is pretty much all I need to know about you and how disingenuous (and stubborn) are. Hence, Va Tech and myself don't believe you with your "our lefty" assertion, and with good reason.

I know that you are the same person that refused to admit the simplest error when Weams corrected you about how many games behind the 2nd wildcard team that the Orioles were.

You said that they were 4 games back, Weams informed you that they were indeed 3 and-a-half back, and EVEN THEN you insisted that you were correct ...... based on your assertion that the Orioles "had to win that game," and that "You can't win half of a game." You actually went on and on and argued that you were correct until a couple of other posters came in and informed you that you were wrong. The Orioles were 3 and-a-half games behind.

That is pretty much all I need to know about you and how disingenuous (and stubborn) are. Hence, Va Tech and myself don't believe you with your "our lefty" assertion, and with good reason.

3.5 back... Is 4 games you gotta win. Can't go 3-1. Have to go 4-0.

So it 4 games as you can't win half a game. But hey maybe MLB changed the rules and you now can get morale half game victories.

You're well aware that there a million ways to win. You could win with absolutely no shortstop at all, plugging in a lifelong centerfielder weeks before the playoffs like the 1967 Tigers did. Some approaches have more likelihood of success than others. Obviously Davis' failures weren't enough to keep the Orioles out of the playoffs in '14, and his big year in '13 wasn't enough to push them into October. But the idea that a 50-homer slugger has little or no impact on a team's successes or failures is, well... counter-intuitive at best.
I'm of the opinion that huge offense doesn't measure up to great pitching. It's great to have Davis. But what has Cruz done fore SEA, Trout and Pujols done for LAA, Cabrera done for DET? We have a better chance of making the playoffs with Price than Davis.

3.5 back... Is 4 games you gotta win. Can't go 3-1. Have to go 4-0.

So it 4 games as you can't win half a game. But hey maybe MLB changed the rules and you now can get morale half game victories.

MLB baseball did not change any rules.

These are the MLB standings on the day that you made that post, and your incredulous argument:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/games/standings.cgi?year=2015&month=9&day=24&submit=Submit+Date

The Orioles were 3.5 games behind the Astros for the 2nd wildcard. Not 3 games. Not 4 games. They were 3.5 games behind the Astros.

You were wrong. It is not an opinion, it is a fact, according to MLB.

MLB baseball did not change any rules.

These are the MLB standings on the day that you made that post, and your incredulous argument:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/games/standings.cgi?year=2015&month=9&day=24&submit=Submit+Date

The Orioles were 3.5 games behind the Astros for the 2nd wildcard. Not 3 games. Not 4 games. They were 3.5 games behind the Astros.

You were wrong. It is not an opinion, it is a fact, according to MLB.

No, according to MLB, .5 is a place holder for a game to be played. According to the standings the Astros at the time was 80-73. Orioles were 76-76. Orioles HAD to win 4 games to be 80-76 and the Astros would have to lose 4 games (which would have put them at 80-77).

No, according to MLB, .5 is a place holder for a game to be played. According to the standings the Astros at the time was 80-73. Orioles were 76-76. Orioles HAD to win 4 games to be 80-76 and the Astros would have to lose 4 games (which would have put them at 80-77).

Right.

Sports broadcasters should stop with all of that nonsense about a teams being 3 and-a-half games behind, 4 and-a-half games behind, 5 and-a-half games behind, etc. when they give their audiences the standings, and simply add a half a game to the whatever their deficit is.

As I said earlier, you are absolutely incorrigible. You would argue that the world was flat in order to avoid admitting that you made a mistake.

Why is this even a thread? It's not based on actual possibility of happening for the following reasons..

Why he's gonna sign with the Blue Jays.

1) David Price is winning in Toronto.

2) Price wants to stay in Toronto.

3) Toronto has massive amounts of money coming off their payroll from their pitching staff. About $31m (Dickey and Buehrle).

He will get a $150 to $175m deal (or higher) over 6-7 years with the Blue Jays.

Why the Orioles aren't even considering him.

1) Orioles won't sign a 29 year old pitcher to a long term deal.

2) There are other names out there. Names like Doug Fister, Yovani Gallardo, Mike Leake, Mat Latos, Jeff Samardzija, Jordan Zimmerman.. just to name a few.

3) Orioles are looking for one/two spots to fill and depth. Can't add depth carrying a $25m plus pitcher. But you can carry depth with signing one or two of those I mention.

4) Gausman will be a starter full time in 2016. Basically we have Ubaldo, Tillman, Gonzo and Gausman. So the issue is actually getting a lefty to fill Chen's spot if we don't sign him.

5) Price isn't a lefty.. only left out there that's possible right now is Chen. Kazmir is staying in Houston.

So lets look at some facts before we do Davis or Price thing.. you need to look at roster needs, not your fantasy league draft list. Davis is priority as this FA season is filled with RH starting pitchers. Orioles need a lefty first.

He will probably get $28-$30 million per year.

Price is more of a difference maker AND has been much more consistent over his career.

There is no more of a likelihood of Price running into arm issues than there is of Davis regressing back to a .200ish hitter. Guys with long loopy swings don't age well either when they start losing bat speed.

Give me the Ace, which is what we need more than anything.

Archived