Offseason Rumors and Deals Around MLB

neveradoubt

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Remember when <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/RedSox?src=hash">#RedSox</a> were shifting back to young players and avoiding huge FA deals? That was fun!</p>— robneyer (@robneyer) <a href="

">December 1, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">David Price's annual salaries: 30, 30, 30, 31, 32, 32. 32. No deferred money in deal. Opt out after 3 yrs <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/redsox?src=hash">#redsox</a></p>— Jerry Crasnick (@jcrasnick) <a href="

Ortiz and their top 7 puts them at $133M - which is more than the Orioles are likely to spend on their 25 man roster. I can't wait until the Price deal blows up in their face.

But what if it doesn't? Aside from the relative absurdity that ANY athlete gets paid $31MM a year, let's say, for the sake of argument, that Price delivers four consecutive years of 18+ wins, is in the top 10 in ERA each of those years, and the Sox return to the playoffs routinely, maybe pick up a WS along the way. In the fifth year, Price begins to tail off and slides into a role as a #3 or #4 starter for the remaining 2-3 years of the deal. Would it have been worth it? The Sox are saying "yes."

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">David Price's annual salaries: 30, 30, 30, 31, 32, 32. 32. No deferred money in deal. Opt out after 3 yrs <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/redsox?src=hash">#redsox</a></p>? Jerry Crasnick (@jcrasnick) <a href="

This makes Scherzer's deal look economical.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

But what if it doesn't? Aside from the relative absurdity that ANY athlete gets paid $31MM a year, let's say, for the sake of argument, that Price delivers four consecutive years of 18+ wins, is in the top 10 in ERA each of those years, and the Sox return to the playoffs routinely, maybe pick up a WS along the way. In the fifth year, Price begins to tail off and slides into a role as a #3 or #4 starter for the remaining 2-3 years of the deal. Would it have been worth it? The Sox are saying "yes."
Compared to Film stars they earn their money. Some actors make that much per film, which might involve 6-10 weeks actual work and incredible perks. At leat a ballplayer works hard 8 months out of the year.

I guess those stories about him not using money as the chief factor in his decision were less then accurate.

31M AAV.

Ouch.

I think he and his agent were trying to get Chicago involved and they basically said "We do not want to sign you."

Has Price been a truly dominant pitcher since 2012? This seems way out there, even with Dumbro and Price having some history.

Compared to Film stars they earn their money. Some actors make that much per film, which might involve 6-10 weeks actual work and incredible perks. At leat a ballplayer works hard 8 months out of the year.

Very few actors make that much coin.

Very few athletes make that much coin either so... yeah it's another world.

If they make the playoffs a bunch the contract will not be an issue, true. Seems nuts to think Price will be a front-end guy for much longer though (assuming you consider him a front-end guy now).

Well, if working 8 months out of the year is the gauge, what would you pay the best teacher in America? Perhaps they should adopt a free agency system?

David Price will likely participate in 33-40 games next season... He's arguably working harder than Papi, but not harder than Pedroia...

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Sources say BOS separated itself from other teams significantly in the David Price bidding -- which is what they had to do to get him.</p>— Buster Olney (@Buster_ESPN) <a href="

Cardinals supposed number two at substantially less.

I think he and his agent were trying to get Chicago involved and they basically said "We do not want to sign you."

Has Price been a truly dominant pitcher since 2012? This seems way out there, even with Dumbro and Price having some history.

Good info.

If they make the playoffs a bunch the contract will not be an issue, true. Seems nuts to think Price will be a front-end guy for much longer though (assuming you consider him a front-end guy now).

Like I said earlier, I don't think he is a lock to opt out in three.

High mileage arm.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Sources say BOS separated itself from other teams significantly in the David Price bidding -- which is what they had to do to get him.</p>? Buster Olney (@Buster_ESPN) <a href="

Cardinals supposed number two at substantially less.

I wonder if they outbid themselves.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Archived