Offseason Rumors and Deals Around MLB

neveradoubt

Cheap Outfielder with a little speed. Doesn't excite me at all.

Hopes that Camden Yards might be helpful?

2012 29 SDP NL 148 470 417 62 110 26 8 9 45 24 6 41 94 .264 .335 .429 .765 115 179 2 5 5 2 2 *987

2013 30 SDP NL 151 515 481 64 129 22 8 22 53 22 6 29 118 .268 .312 .484 .796 126 233 6 2 2 1 4 *98

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
<iframe style="position: absolute; visibility: hidden; display: block; width: 0px; height: 0px; padding: 0px; border: medium none;" class="twitter-tweet twitter-tweet-rendered" allowfullscreen="true" allowtransparency="true" scrolling="no" id="twitter-widget-0" frameborder="0"></iframe>
The
#Indians
and
#Orioles
have both expressed an interest in free agent outfielder Will Venable, sources say.
? Jerry Crasnick (@jcrasnick)
December 2, 2015

Not sure what purpose he could serve, so I'm inclined to basically ignore this.

<script async="" src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I like Venable. He's left handed, a good defender, can play all 3 OF positions, and can hit RHP acceptably. He's similar to Lough but overall a much better player, as he's not as good defensively but can actually hold his own with the bat.

Venable's certainly not a good hitter and he's coming off a two rough seasons in a row with the bat so he won't cost much at all. He would be an cheap and effective way to fill the strong side of a platoon with Reimold/Hoes in either LF or RF, also filling the role of backup CF on the roster, leaving more money to fill remaining positions.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Orioles?src=hash">#Orioles</a> are in market for a lefthanded OF bat. Venable can play both corners and could back up Adam Jones in center.</p>— Jerry Crasnick (@jcrasnick) <a href="

">December 2, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Orioles?src=hash">#Orioles</a> are in market for a lefthanded OF bat. Venable can play both corners and could back up Adam Jones in center.</p>— Jerry Crasnick (@jcrasnick) <a href="

A Lough DFA seems like a possibility.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Orioles?src=hash">#Orioles</a> are in market for a lefthanded OF bat. Venable can play both corners and could back up Adam Jones in center.</p>? Jerry Crasnick (@jcrasnick) <a href="

So could Denard Span.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Vance Worley, Orioles avoid arb and settle at $2.6M via <a href="https://twitter.com/JonHeymanCBS">@JonHeymanCBS</a></p>— Brittany Ghiroli (@Britt_Ghiroli) <a href="

Fair enough. He's also 33 and can't get on base a lick. I'd be ok with a cheap ST invite kind of deal.

He's certainly getting a guaranteed contract. I expect he's holding out for 2 yrs but he's not gonna get that (at least not from us). The question is whether we get him for closer to $2-3M, which would be great, or $6-7M, which he might get but probably isn't worth.

And he's actually decent at getting on base. His problem is more a lack of power outside of an anomalous 22 HR season in 2013, but he's played his whole career in PETCO. He has a .317 career OBP and actually walks at a fair clip (8.1%). Last year, even though he hit poorly, he had a .336 OBP vs RHP. Career .256/.324/.422 hitter vs RHP, and .267/.330/.427 on the road.

I would think we'd be a more attractive option for him than CLE, given we play in a great hitter's stadium for lefties and can guarantee him a job and playing time, so we should get him unless they offer significantly more.

He's certainly getting a guaranteed contract. I expect he's holding out for 2 yrs but he's not gonna get that (at least not from us). The question is whether we get him for closer to $2-3M, which would be great, or $6-7M, which he might get but probably isn't worth.

And he's actually decent at getting on base. His problem is more a lack of power outside of an anomalous 22 HR season in 2013, but he's played his whole career in PETCO. He has a .317 career OBP and actually walks at a fair clip (8.1%). Last year, even though he hit poorly, he had a .336 OBP vs RHP. Career .256/.324/.422 hitter vs RHP, and .267/.330/.427 on the road.

I would think we'd be a more attractive option for him than CLE, given we play in a great hitter's stadium for lefties and can guarantee him a job and playing time, so we should get him unless they offer significantly more.

Worst case scenario, he ends up being Parra but at a much more palatable price. Best case, he's a 1-1.5 WAR player for much less than the going rate.

By the way Adam Jones is talking, Crush has gone ...

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Vance Worley, Orioles avoid arb and settle at $2.6M via <a href="https://twitter.com/JonHeymanCBS">@JonHeymanCBS</a></p>— Brittany Ghiroli (@Britt_Ghiroli) <a href="

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Especially when you're a passionate person. I'll just <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/StayHungry?src=hash">#StayHungry</a> as I always do.</p>— 10 (@SimplyAJ10) <a href="

Sorry for the rubbish cut & pasting.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Especially when you're a passionate person. I'll just <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/StayHungry?src=hash">#StayHungry</a> as I always do.</p>— 10 (@SimplyAJ10) <a href="

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Keeping your opinions to yourself isn't the easiest thing to do. But hey. It's all part of it</p>— 10 (@SimplyAJ10) <a href="

Archived