Davis Signs With Baltimore (7/$161M, incl $42M deferred)

TonySoprano

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They do need to add a starting pitcher to replace Chen but the SP situation is not as dire as people think. Last year was a season when basically everything that could go wrong did go wrong with the starting pitching. From 2012-2014, Chris Tillman was a pitcher with a 3.42 ERA and 1.20 WHIP. Last year, he had an ERA of 5 and a WHIP of 1.39. Miguel Gonzalez numbers also ballooned from an ERA of 3.45 in 2012-2014 to 4.91 last year. Why does one bad year automatically wipe out three good seasons of performances? Gonzalez and Tillman are both better pitchers than they showed last year. I also feel like Gausman is on the verge of breaking out. He had a 1.23 WHIP and a very good 3.55 K:BB ratio last year. Ubaldo is Ubaldo. You can't really count on him but if he can repeat last year's performance, that'll help the rotation a lot.

The two starters from last year's rotation who are no longer here made 49 starts combined. The Orioles went a combined 23-26 in those starts.

I agree that the SP situation is not as dire as portrayed. That said, I'd love to pick up Latos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Heyward

114 OPS+

Davis

122 OPS+

Factor in that Heyward is significantly younger and you can't make a claim that Davis will be the better hitter going forward.

Then you should also factor in that Heyward has been a full time player for two years longer than Davis and that Davis' average OPS+ includes 4 seasons when he was basically a platoon player, something Heyward has never been. So Davis' true OPS+ average as a full time player would be more like 132! Heyward's best OPS+ was in his rookie season at 131 and he has not reached 120 since.

Also Heyward's value is as a top of the lineup hitter, and the most valuable part of his tool set is his speed. If Heyward were to get a serious leg injury, which is quite possible due to his rambunctious style of play, his value will plummet! So I personally see Heywards longevity as no more a sure thing than Davis'!

Ed Encina Baltimoresun.com
’ We’re willing to pay guys what they deserve. I think it’s huge. I know Scott [boras] went out to meet with Mr. [Peter] Angelos, so I think it shows that Mr. Angelos and his family, they’re willing to spend the money to field a competitive team and that’s important."

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bal-what-theyre-saying-about-chris-davis-returning-to-the-orioles-20160116-story.html

After reading through most of this thread I was sort of shocked at all of the negativity. Is it possible the last 2 or 3 years might be an overpay? Yes. Could this affect resigning Manny? Possibly.

Did I like the Orioles missing out on all those FA's for years and our best players walking out the door. No. I'll enjoy watching Davis hit bombs out for the next 3 or 4 years then see where the team is at. And I'm actually fairly happy to see the Orioles step up and sign someone to a contract like this. It's about time.

Then you should also factor in that Heyward has been a full time player for two years longer than Davis and that Davis' average OPS+ includes 4 seasons when he was basically a platoon player, something Heyward has never been. So Davis' true OPS+ average as a full time player would be more like 132! Heyward's best OPS+ was in his rookie season at 131 and he has not reached 120 since.

Also Heyward's value is as a top of the lineup hitter, and the most valuable part of his tool set is his speed. If Heyward were to get a serious leg injury, which is quite possible due to his rambunctious style of play, his value will plummet! So I personally see Heywards longevity as no more a sure thing than Davis'!

So you want to hold the fact that Heyward has never been a platoon player against him?

If Davis was in a platoon it was because he wasn't playing well enough to be an everyday player.

As for injuries, what would happen if Davis got an oblique strain? Oops, we already know what happens, he has a lower batting average then Bob Uecker.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Chris Davis contract structure: $17m annual salary 2016-2022. Annual payments $3.5m 2022-31, then $1.4m 2032-36. No interest on deferrals.</p>— Buster Olney (@Buster_ESPN) <a href="https://twitter.com/Buster_ESPN/status/688460234487128064">January 16, 2016</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

So you want to hold the fact that Heyward has never been a platoon player against him?

If Davis was in a platoon it was because he wasn't playing well enough to be an everyday player.

As for injuries, what would happen if Davis got an oblique strain? Oops, we already know what happens, he has a lower batting average then Bob Uecker.

Yeah but that is an injury that could happen to virtually any player and he can obviously bounce back from it. Leg injuries to guys who are primarily speedsters that usually spells the beginning of the end of their careers.

This is way too much money for Davis, but it is a signal that they are willing to spend big dollars for the right players.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived