Steve Pearce Appreciation Thread

weams

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Steve Pearce, owner of the most out-of-nowhere age 31 seasons in baseball history. I'll have to run some queries, but there can't be many players with a ~5 win season on their resume and a career worth less than six wins. By fWAR Pearce's 2014 was 88% of his career value.

Dan Duquette, paraphrasing: "We always knew he could hit left handed pitching, but in 2014 he hit right handed pitching too."

Steve Pearce, owner of the most out-of-nowhere age 31 seasons in baseball history. I'll have to run some queries, but there can't be many players with a ~5 win season on their resume and a career worth less than six wins. By fWAR Pearce's 2014 was 88% of his career value.

Nowhere near age 31, but Mark Fidrych came to mind. He was 9.6 in 1976, 11.4 for his career. Not quite the same.

This will always be a moment I remember from 2014...wish him the best.

"The Orioles have re-signed IF/OF Steve Pearce, Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun tweets. The Orioles have announced that it?s a big-league deal. The O?s had previously designated Pearce for assignment. The Blue Jays claimed Pearce on release waivers, but he elected to become a free agent rather than accepting the claim." MLBTR

I covered his Little League team.

Cool, I doubt our time intersected that much since as I said I'm a year younger and obviously nowhere near as athletic. He was a pretty good basketball player too. I remember playing his team one winter since a couple of my friends were on that team and he was a man among boys. I remember feeling a little conflicted when he got his first homer off of Britton a few years back. Glad to see he's had a decent ML career though. I think only one other Hornet has made the majors and that was way before our time.

Man, this is sad. Great team player, did everything he was asked and did everything as hard as he could. 2014 was great for a ton of reasons, he was one of them. Not only did he contribute a ton but I think we were all just happy for HIM because he was playing damn near every day at the end of the season, playing his ass off and doing damage. A journeyman should be so lucky to have a season like that on a team like that.

I think we all knew that it probably couldn't carry over to next year but I just remember being genuinely happy for that guy when he was mashing and making a difference on a great team.

Cool, I doubt our time intersected that much since as I said I'm a year younger and obviously nowhere near as athletic. He was a pretty good basketball player too. I remember playing his team one winter since a couple of my friends were on that team and he was a man among boys. I remember feeling a little conflicted when he got his first homer off of Britton a few years back. Glad to see he's had a decent ML career though. I think only one other Hornet has made the majors and that was way before our time.

He seemed like a good kid as a 12-year old. Definitely a man among boys at that age.

He seemed like a good kid as a 12-year old. Definitely a man among boys at that age.

Yeah I don't remember him being a braggart. As I said, it's really cool to see someone from your school succeed like that. I didn't know him well to know if he was an O's fan growing up or not but I always thought he was a decent MLer.

Archived