Fangraphs: Tanking, in the MLB

weams

Sometimes pitchers get their light bulb moment.

Britton is a pretty good comparison, look at how Britton here as a failed starter, coming into 2014 ST, some were questioning if he would even make the 25 Man roster, but, he fixed his delivery/mechanics or whatever was ailing him, and he has become a very dominant closer.

Got umpires to start calling the low strike -- pretty important with that sinker, maybe.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am only making the point that I don't think Hader had some unexpected leap in development after stalling with the Orioles (as Arrieta and EdRod arguably did). He was doing just fine for us and his stock was at its highest point (in our organization) when we traded him. Obviously, he has continued to progress from there. But his continued progress doesn't lead me to question whether the Orioles had developed him well at the point where he was traded. I do have those questions about Arrieta and EdRod, considering how quickly those two got turned around after they were traded.

I agree with your take.

Sometimes pitchers get their light bulb moment.

Britton is a pretty good comparison, look at how Britton here as a failed starter, coming into 2014 ST, some were questioning if he would even make the 25 Man roster, but, he fixed his delivery/mechanics or whatever was ailing him, and he has become a very dominant closer.

Bad comparison.

Britton's was hurt and his move to the pen has allowed him to almost exclusively rely on one pitch.

Bad comparison.

Britton's was hurt and his move to the pen has allowed him to almost exclusively rely on one pitch.

If Britton had that dominant pitch as a starter, he would have still been a starter. he was not hurt in 2011, when he started 28 games.

Which is why I compared him to Jake. Jake fixed what ailed him, and isn't the same pitcher he was here

Same with Zach, I think if you moved him back as a starter, while he might not be as dominant, I suspect he would still be darn good.

Again, just my own opinion.

If Britton had that dominant pitch as a starter, he would have still been a starter. he was not hurt in 2011, when he started 28 games.

Which is why I compared him to Jake. Jake fixed what ailed him, and isn't the same pitcher he was here

Same with Zach, I think if you moved him back as a starter, while he might not be as dominant, I suspect he would still be darn good.

He wouldn't have that pitch as a starter. He would have something kinda like it but 3 mph slower.

My recollection of Britton's 2011 season (reinforced by looking at his game log) is that he came out of the gate extremely strong, had a period of shoulder soreness and faded.

He had a 2.14 ERA in his first 9 starts, 6.14 the rest of the way and had DL stints in July and August.

I think he could be a decent starter now, but not the kind of stud he is as a closer.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">.<a href="https://twitter.com/JimBowden_ESPN">@JimBowden_ESPN</a>: "I have a problem with tanking as an industry & as a broadcaster, but as a GM, if the rules say I can do it,I'm doing it."</p>— MLB Network Radio (@MLBNetworkRadio) <a href="

">February 4, 2016</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Criminal

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">.<a href="https://twitter.com/JimBowden_ESPN">@JimBowden_ESPN</a>: "I have a problem with tanking as an industry & as a broadcaster, but as a GM, if the rules say I can do it,I'm doing it."</p>— MLB Network Radio (@MLBNetworkRadio) <a href="

Criminal

If a fine, upstanding citizen like Jim Bowden says he would do it, it must be OK. Right? :laughlol:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">.<a href="https://twitter.com/JimBowden_ESPN">@JimBowden_ESPN</a>: "I have a problem with tanking as an industry & as a broadcaster, but as a GM, if the rules say I can do it,I'm doing it."</p>? MLB Network Radio (@MLBNetworkRadio) <a href="

Criminal

If a fine, upstanding citizen like Jim Bowden says he would do it, then it must be OK ...... Right? :laughlol:

Well, lyin' just don't come into it.

We were 10 miles from Memphis, and a million miles from the rest of the world.

If a sheriff in a town like this says, "That's what happened" ...... then, that's what happened.

Criminal

The current "broadcaster" didn't have a problem enriching himself, taking advantage of vulnerable players with aspirations of the major leagues. He should have done time. Between Bowden, Kruk, Boone, Schilling etc ESPN employs a lot of people I could care less to listen to. David Justice for a brief period was there, he was horrible in the broadcasting booth as well.

He has a problem with it but would do it, great job Jim.

My recollection of Britton's 2011 season (reinforced by looking at his game log) is that he came out of the gate extremely strong, had a period of shoulder soreness and faded.

He had a 2.14 ERA in his first 9 starts, 6.14 the rest of the way and had DL stints in July and August.

I think he could be a decent starter now, but not the kind of stud he is as a closer.

If you remember those games, though, he was bailed out by BABIP and defense for several of those starts, and the stuff/performance didn't really match up great with the limited stat line.

He has a problem with it but would do it' date=' great job Jim.[/quote']

How is it surprisng or even interesting that someone with a morally questionable track record as a GM would say that he thinks intentionally losing is wrong but he'd do it anyway? The surprise is that he left in the "if the rules say I can do it" part.

Archived