Roch: Matusz Traded (along with draft pick)

Can_of_corn

What I am not ok with is shaving payroll to enrich ownership at the expese of the major league team's competitiveness.

Do you think this was done here?

Do you think that if the O's had simply not signed Alvarez and installed Reimold's in right than this wouldn't have been necessary?

Me, I think Dan sells the pick even if OD payroll was 5M lower.

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What I am not ok with is shaving payroll to enrich ownership at the expese of the major league team's competitiveness.

Given the relative buttload of money Angelos has forked over this year, and the likelihood that this move was probably intended to free up cash for a summer acquisition (and still netted us a couple of prospects)... your judgement of the owners' motives seems a bit harsh.

Quite a bit I would say. Seemed to me that people have been quite excited about the development of Lee, Hess and Bridwell.

It doesn't quite fit your narrative that the two pitchers acquired from Atlanta look better at first glance I know, but restocking the farm system can be done two ways. Picks or trades.

Not for the Braves, no. Too much young mid-level talent creates a future logjam. Probably better pitchers ahead of these guys in the braves system. That doesn't mean they aren't better than the O's prospects.

15 possibles.. sure... of which probably half will make the show... and maybe 6 of those will stick.

Based on the current comparison of performance, the two kids we just got from Atlanta have a better shot than those we already had in the organization.

You left off international players, not surprising that as an O's fan you forgot that was an option.:P

Nope.

But the Braves would sure have to be stupid to trade two players worth a second round pick and take on 3M in salary to get a second round pick.

Would be nice if I were wrong but I don't see why the Braves would give up any players that they think has any chance of being impactful.

It could be the Orioles see something that the Braves do not. Something like what they saw in Lee that the Astros missed.

It could be the Orioles see something that the Braves do not. Something like what they saw in Lee that the Astros missed.

Has Lee actually accomplished something?

I mean don't get me wrong, if you won't use the international money than you should get what you can for it, but I wouldn't say Lee is a proven difference maker.

Do you think this was done here?

Do you think that if the O's had simply not signed Alvarez and installed Reimold's in right than this wouldn't have been necessary?

Me, I think Dan sells the pick even if OD payroll was 5M lower.

I think Dan intended to use his money all season, and not just keep it in the bank until he needed it. That's what I think. I also think if Dan needs more, the Angelos family will find it if the team performs.

For the record I never said the O's were dumb.

Dan doesn't appear to care what state he leaves the franchise is and in that light this deal makes good sense.

Of course you already knew that was my stance.

Dan bought an international player that had progressed with his slot money. Just a different way of using it. Maybe not better. Not a 16 year old for certain.

I think Dan intended to use his money all season, and not just keep it in the bank until he needed it. That's what I think. I also think if Dan needs more, the Angelos family will find it if the team performs.

Like when Dan traded Hunter to pay for Parra?

What do we have left for draft picks in the top 100 (or thereabouts) in June?

Four.

Pick for Chen, second round pick, compensation pick for not signing second round pick last year, third round pick.

The compensation pick is unprotected so they very well might use it on a sign-ability pick.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The Braves acquired Brian Matusz and the 76th pick in this year's Draft from the O's for Brandon Barker and Trevor Belicek</p>— Mark Bowman (@mlbbowman) <a href="
">May 24, 2016</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I called it a week ago.

I am beyond furious.

Can I at least get huge amounts of rep from everyone?

I'm out of the loop, and I wake up to this? DD could care less about the draft, apparently. He is going to decimate this franchise.

I don't mean for Can of Corn to carry the load here alone, but I have mostly stopped posting here so I do not bring too much negativity to the board.

I am waiting for our next GM. This one has burned our minor league system to the ground propping up a major league team who core he inherited. DD's primary advantage over most GMs is his full commitment to cash in every last resource in a death march to push the major league team forward while letting other teams spend more on the US draft, spend more internationally. It is an unsustainable method of team building and I dislike it with a passion.

Yes, it is career building, not team building. DD is trying to get himself another job, while leaving the O's a mess.

Would be nice if I were wrong but I don't see why the Braves would give up any players that they think has any chance of being impactful.

The body of evidence certainly shows that the Braves are not above making a mistake -

They signed Markakis for 4 years, in the middle of a rebuild.

Also, scoreboard.

Archived