TT: The Orioles are a mediocre team

Tony-OH

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I love these threads after a loss or a bad stretch. Like clockwork.

Make sure to bump this when they run off 8/10 and get back to 10 games above .500.

Oh I forgot, no chance of that happening this team is destined for failure. Just a mirage.

None of what you said is a coherent counter argument to many of the key points that are being made about this teams potential/future and the "job" Dan duquette has done mortgaging the future for some moderate short term success.

Dan came in and said we have to build threw the farm and instead, he has depleted the farm. For that, he should be replaced. We have repeated the mistakes of the late eighties, trying to right a sinking ship by throwing money at it. Didn't work then and won't work now.

He tried to build threw the farm. He really did. He just failed miserably at it as did his predecessor and instead of sticking with the plan he threw the few good young arms that we had (Davies, hader, Rodriguez etc.) away for some rentals, threw away two first round picks and a second round pick for bad veteran pitching and a slightly higher chance to win now.

He deserves every bit of heat he takes and should probably be out of a job if we are being honest.

He was given a ton of resources and a decent farm system and while we've been competitive in his tenure, that is more of a result of things buck/Andy did right than any great success by Dan.

Not going to pile on during a poor streak, but this team feasted on a bad Twins team and is basically .500 otherwise while, I believe, playing the least number of road games in the AL. Our pitching does not appear to be anywhere near good enough to last the year, but if we hang in there another month, DD can move Bundy and other and maybe land a quality SP.

I think this was a poor offseason for DD and it really hurts to lose those picks and to have our current payroll commitments. As posted previously, there was an enormous opportunity to keep our picks, spending big $ internationally, and end up with a massive one-year haul of prospects.

Still, while I do not expect it to last, we are competitive at this moment and so let's play the games.

It is very hard to defend DD at this point, but the following still need to be considered.

I doubt very much that the CD contract was Dan's idea. I'd be dollars to donuts that he'd have gotten Upton.

I doubt very much that PA would've approved anything like the early pitching contracts. We missed out on a few bargain basement pitchers that wouldn't have passed our physical. I would also bet that Dan was pressured to add some/any pitching and he did. I seriously doubt that Dan *wanted* to bring Gallardo in. Why we brought back Darren O'Day at 4/32 instead of ponying up for 4/36 for Andrew Miller the prior year I can't (and don't want to) imagine. He is a Buck guy.

Dan has done many things that I wish he hadn't. In particular the Hader trade. I'm as sorry as anyone that Arrieta went elsewhere and blew up, but (a) how could we have continued to run him out there? He was really, really bad for us over an extended period of time. (b) Arrieta's non-performance here might better be place at the foot of Buck's pitching coaches and his TTTP vendetta. I am also particularly sorry to not have Rodriguez now, but at least the Andre Miller that we got back did move the needle for us.

Like I said, it is very difficult to defend many of Dan's moves, but I think that just a little perspective hints that he might not be the protagonist in many of his moves.

You guys gotta be a little bit tougher than this. We play in the AL East. This happens. We've ran into two red hot teams in the Sox and Stros. Plus this talk of having only 1 SP is a joke.

There are only 26 SP's in the AL with ERA's under 4. Gausman and Wilson are 24 and 25 right now in the ERA standings. You guys have been watching too many Nationals highlights on MASN and are forgetting that we play in a 5 team division and not a divsion with the Mets, Phillies, Braves and Fish.

Let's see how June goes. We obviously need SP, but I think our bats really need to carry us to have us looking good at the All-Star break.

I just don't want to be in the same position as last year at the deadline. I want to definitively be in a position to be a buyer or definitively in a position to be a seller. Last year was too in-between.

Wieters and Britton are guys I would look to move IF we become sellers. I imagine we will be adding a SP if we are in contention. My only plea to the front office is to stay away from two-month rentals unless they come cheap.

You guys gotta be a little bit tougher than this. We play in the AL East. This happens. We've ran into two red hot teams in the Sox and Stros. Plus this talk of having only 1 SP is a joke.

There are only 26 SP's in the AL with ERA's under 4. Gausman and Wilson are 24 and 25 right now in the ERA standings. You guys have been watching too many Nationals highlights on MASN and are forgetting that we play in a 5 team division and not a divsion with the Mets, Phillies, Braves and Fish.

Before sweeping us, the Astros had lost 4 games in a row. Before the two wins against us, the Red Sox had lost 3 of 4.

Don't give me the "hot team" crap. They weren't hot until they played us and kicked the crap out of us.

The Astros are still a sub .500 team even with the sweep.

None of what you said is a coherent counter argument to many of the key points that are being made about this teams potential/future and the "job" Dan duquette has done mortgaging the future for some moderate short term success.

It's funny though, a lot of the same voices were saying that in July of 2012 we had little chance to contend that year and the future was grim. They wanted to trade off veterans then.

Well, we didn't trade off vets, we did the opposite, and the result was one of the most fun few months O's fans had experienced in 15 years.

AND not only that, but we had a winning season the next year. And a winning season and thrilling playoff run the next year. And a .500 season the next year. And a winning season so far this year with a standing that would put us in the playoffs if the season ended today.

So not only were the naysayers in July 2012 wrong about that season, but their dire predictions of doom if we didn't step backwards that year and build toward the future also have yet to come to fruition four years later.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Through June 20th is going to be real tough...

2 BOS

3 NYY

3 KC

4@TOR

3@BOS

3 TOR

1 TEX

But then our schedule looks real good June 21st through July 31st. http://espn.go.com/mlb/team/schedule/_/name/bal/baltimore-orioles

There is about a 2% chance we are above .500 on June 21st with our pitching and hitting.

We had a lot of fools gold to start the season and we bought the kool aid.

We now have jones hitting lead off and Davis and his slightly above .200 BA hitting in the cleanup spot, no 3b to speak of and some light hitting corner outfielders.

Our starters are pretty awful outside of Tillman and Wilson. Our top FA pitching signing is on the DL and who knows how he will pitch when he gets back?

To think we are just in a "rough stretch" is to completely ignore reality.

Before sweeping us, the Astros had lost 4 games in a row. Before the two wins against us, the Red Sox had lost 3 of 4.

Don't give me the "hot team" crap. They weren't hot until they played us and kicked the crap out of us.

Yes sir. That's exactly how I see it. Teams all of a sudden get hot playing us.

It's funny though, a lot of the same voices were saying that in July of 2012 we had little chance to contend that year and the future was grim. They wanted to trade off veterans then.

Well, we didn't trade off vets, we did the opposite, and the result was one of the most fun few months O's fans had experienced in 15 years.

AND not only that, but we had a winning season the next year. And a winning season and thrilling playoff run the next year. And a .500 season the next year. And a winning season so far this year with a standing that would put us in the playoffs if the season ended today.

So not only were the naysayers in July 2012 wrong about that season, but their dire predictions of doom if we didn't step backwards that year and build toward the future also have yet to come to fruition four years later.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

And while all that is great, we've had to give up multiple first round picks, terrible contracts and gut the farm system for that moderate bit of success.

Do you think it's worth it?

Do you think we are currently on the right track to success this year? What about long term success?

Be honest.

I'm busting out laughing right now. The Astros are currently on another 4 game winning streak. 17-9 over their last 26.

But if you guys want to cry and D&G all over the place then cry away.

Archived