Gausman is beginning to remind me of Guthrie

Frobby

One issue is that we didn't do a good job of developing him in his first couple of years, choosing to yo-yo him around between the minors and the majors and using him in the bullpen for long stretches. I think he's be further along now if we'd been more deliberate with his development and given him more time starting games in the minors where he could work on his breaking stuff without being overly worried about results. Now he has no choice but to be worried about results, which makes it hard for him to develop the breaking stuff he can't trust. We have little choice but to be patient and hope he can progress in that way.

For example, Gausman threw about 175 innings in the minors, compared to about 440 for Arrieta. You'd expect a no. 4 overall pick to move faster, but that's basically two full seasons of seasoning Gausman didn't get.

Yes but Arrieta has shown to be a very late bloomer before blossoming at 30. That doesn't necessarily mean all those innings in the minors helped him all that much as he floundered around terribly until the Cubs got him fixed !

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Are you expecting him to get worse? Kevin Gausman, right now, is about a league average starting pitcher.

League average SPs don't become relievers, they usually become $10-$15M a year FAs.

I'm saying he can't be a starter long term with two pitches.

I'm saying he can't be a starter long term with two pitches.
I'm sure that Gaussman knows that. He is a young pitcher, still developing. I'm sure that he'll work hard on developing another pitch. Give him a chance.

I disagree that you could know that.

Simply by observing that he routinely can't hold a slim lead so be counter to basic logic to expect him to protect them, plus he has never done it (closed games) to my knowledge...

How did he get broken again?

Probably because as I understand the Orioles coaching didn't like him throwing a cutter and wanted him to be quicker to the plate out of the stretch and he essentially couldn't adapt and the Cubs simplified his delivery and basically have him pitch out of the stretch all the time throwing cutters or whatever he likes to throw.

Simply by observing that he routinely can't hold a slim lead so be counter to basic logic to expect him to protect them, plus he has never done it (closed games) to my knowledge...

I believe him to have the skill set that would make a fine closer.

I believe him to have the skill set that would make a fine closer.

No way though of truly knowing unless they try him in that role. I always thought Sidney Ponson should have been tried as a closer as he could often dominate for 1-3 innings and seem almost unhittable but we'll never know.

No way though of truly knowing unless they try him in that role. I always thought Sidney Ponson should have been tried as a closer as he could often dominate for 1-3 innings and seem almost unhittable but we'll never know.

Sidney drank too much.

I'm sure that Gaussman knows that. He is a young pitcher, still developing. I'm sure that he'll work hard on developing another pitch. Give him a chance.

I'm sure he's working hard at it, but it's easier said than done.

Archived