Where are the fans?

Ori-Al

I realize the opponent is the Rockies, but the Orioles are in first place, and the weather is not terrible. Why are there so many empty seats? Ownership needs the revenue of fans in the seats, especially with the young, going-to-be-expensive players who are on this team.

• 1 month later...

Peter Schmuck was also wondering about this in the Baltimore Sun:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bs-sp-orioles-attendance-decline-20160920-story.html

A fan answered on today's Letters to the Editor. I wonder if other franchises also have this problem:

http://digitaledition.baltimoresun.com/launch.aspx?pbid=99644e1a-52da-4fe3-8f78-a84e4fe4d386

The Tigers fighting for their playoff hopes and there aren't many people at the game against the Tribe either. It's not just the O's.

The fans have a hard time getting behind that one dimensional team that is built on sluggers and does not bunt.

• 2 weeks later...

Was just discussing this with some of my other friends who are big baseball fans.

Are people just starting to lose interest in baseball? 162 games is a lot, the embarrassing umpiring continues to be a huge problem, the NL makes the pitcher hit and thus many times making the 8th hitter's at bat irrelevant as well.

A lot of fan bases have suffered long World Series droughts and maybe after a while people get tired of waiting and lose hope.

Just my opinion but I think MLB has issues.

Was just discussing this with some of my other friends who are big baseball fans.

Are people just starting to lose interest in baseball? 162 games is a lot' date=' the embarrassing umpiring continues to be a huge problem, the NL makes the pitcher hit and thus many times making the 8th hitter's at bat irrelevant as well.

A lot of fan bases have suffered long World Series droughts and maybe after a while people get tired of waiting and lose hope.

Just my opinion but I think MLB has issues.[/quote']

So how many games should they play lol?

Are people just starting to lose interest in baseball? 162 games is a lot' date=' the embarrassing umpiring continues to be a huge problem, the NL makes the pitcher hit and thus many times making the 8th hitter's at bat irrelevant as well.

Just my opinion but I think MLB has issues.[/quote']

It seems like there are threads about this every week or so, rehashing the same issues. TV ratings are strong, so I don't think people are losing interest. The Orioles' issues with attendance are multi-faceted. Ticket prices, even if relatively affordable compared to football or other baseball teams, are prohibitively expensive for a lot of people. Traffic from the D.C. Suburbs is horrible. Baltimore has issues. The nats have taken fans away. The TV viewing experience is great and a lot cheaper. Etc. The length of the season has absolutely nothing to do with it, in my opinion.

When you see TV ratings at strong, it makes me think what you're seeing is a byproduct of the quality production of what you see on TV. We've become a very convenience-driven society. It's way easier, and cheaper, to just stay home and watch the game on MASN. You've gotta think that those here on OH are a lot of diehards so they're going to want to go to games.

I don't really know numbers, I would be curious what attendance numbers are across the league and then compare them to other sports to see how they're trending.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Don't see what's so funny. Go back to a 154 game season. Players will be better tested especially on a team like the O's where the starters get absolutely no rest.

I'm very familiar with baseball history thanks. So a 162 game season is long and affects attendance but 154 is not too long?

I have been asked several times recently why I think the attendance has been so low this year at Orioles games,

I smile at first because it amazes me how quickly people and even many in the media forget.

Last year at a game In the middle of the ninth inning, the public address announcer told fans that the mayor and city officials requested no one leave the ballpark because of "ongoing public safety issues."

Now you are at the game with your family and are told its not safe to leave at the end of the game......trust me it was very very scary

Also last year we played a game where the fans were told they were not allowed to attend because it was not safe.....and that day game was played before an empty house.

We then had a team that did not feel safe coming here and the team had to play a home series on the road,

Yet people wonder why folks are not coming yet tv ratings and interest are up for the team,......I have even heard the media blame the marketing department of the Orioles.

It is going to take a while for people to feel safe taking their families to a game again.....and I completely understand.

Archived