Manny wants more fans at the games

Going Underground

Machado and his teammates probably feels like they are playing an away game with Sox fans being in the majority of the seats. He's probably looking forward to free agency. For a contending team the Orioles rank 20th in MLB. 26,000 at last night's game is weak. The AL East looks like this:

AL East Standings and attendance ranking:

Toronto 4th

Boston 8th

Baltimore 20th

New York 6th

Tampa Bay 30th

As for contenders and their place in the attendance ranking:

AL Central:

Cleveland 28th

Detroit 14th

AL West

Texas 10th

Seattle 19th

NL East

Washington 13th

Miami 27th

NL Central

Chicago 5th

St. Louis 2nd

NL West

Los Angeles 1st

San Francisco 3rd

How many season tickets do you have? I don't think anybody has a right to complain about attendance unless they're actually putting their money where their mouth is and purchasing season tickets or at least attending 15+ home games every year. It's hypocritical to complain about attendance when you aren't doing your part to improve the attendance.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There have been many threads about attendance this year. I think it comes down to four things:

1. Ticket prices were increased substantially this season across the board.

2. The team took a very long time to announce the price hikes and communicate with their past season ticket holders about the increase.

3. The premium pricing of certain games has a negative effect on attendance at those games.

4. There are some people who view Baltimore as a less safe place to go, particularly at night, following the 2015 riots.

I remember that in 2012, the Orioles heavily discounted their ticket prices for their September weeknight series with the Rays and Blue Jays to drive attendance up as the team entered the stretch drive. They may need to consider such a move this year if they want fans to come out for the weeknight series this September.

How many season tickets do you have? I don't think anybody has a right to complain about attendance unless they're actually putting their money where their mouth is and purchasing season tickets or at least attending 15+ home games every year. It's hypocritical to complain about attendance when you aren't doing your part to improve the attendance.

It is silly to complain about attendance even if you are at every home game. People have free will to spend their entertainment dollars and time anyway they please. If they want to see a movie or a concert instead of going to a baseball game that is their business.

I don't have season tickets because it is not a sensible or financially sound option for me. I live more than 450 miles from Baltimore and it is at least an 8 hours drive. Then there is the price of the trip itself. Gasoline, wear and tear on the car, hotel room, meals, parking and the tickets. That all adds up. We have a budget like most people, and we strive to live within it. We use our entertainment dollars in different ways. I'm perfectly content to catch my baseball games in our home theater room on the big screen with all the creature comforts. But if you are doing your part, congratulations.

And you ignore (or don't address) that the O's have the best home record. That's being dishonest, actually. Cherry-picking facts.

Well Washington has the second biggest division lead in the majors. They're only 13th in attendance. Sure the O's have the best home record. But when you cut a fanbase in half this is what is going to happen. Also ever notice the O's get better attendance during day games? I think it does have something to do with people not feeling safe being in Baltimore at night.

Marilyn Mosby can take a fair amount of credit for the woeful attendance. Many are afraid to come to Baltimore. She created a huge turd.

Not sure I see the connection?

She probably rushed to judgement without enough evidence, I certainly get that.

If she hadn't brought charges, you think that would somehow help O's attendance???

I just don't see a connection.

True. But I've seen folks texting while driving, bowel vacating styled road rage, weaving at 90mph, texting and driving 90 mph on 95 and that did it for me. And I've never lost an hour on 301 like I have on 95. I can tolerate 301 and its expected lights. And by the time those small town lights do occur, at least I can get Baltimore sports radio over the air, so I'm more relaxed. There are some long uninterrupted rural stretches on 301 where the scenery is lovely.

That's the way I go up is Route 17 to Route 301 through Bowie, then go to Baltimore on 95

Careful with your criticism

If Tampa does lose their team the O's move up one spot to the next team to be re-located Consider:

1. Poor attendance

2. One of the oldest stadiums in the majors

3. Tough times in B'more a city that has a problem maintaining basic safety for its residents/tourists

What a ridiculous assessment. Thanks for the laugh.

Archived