Manny wants more fans at the games

Going Underground

Also for those going to the game like me tonight, protest near the Hyatt and Inner Harbor around 5:15.I don't think it will affect traffic that much. Just a heads up.

Third baseman Manny Machado made clear how important the fans will be as the team pushes for a playoff spot with a schedule heavy on home games. They're the best fans in the game, he said he just wants more of them at Camden Yards.

I mean, it's been a little down lately, Machado said. Hopefully with the pennant race coming up and us in first place, getting close to the playoffs, I think a little more fans could come and support and come help us out. We have the greatest fans in the world. Whenever they come out here and we get a sold out crowd, we feed off of that and that takes us to another level. Our fans are our biggest momentum and everything, so hopefully we can get more out here. I know school?s starting now, so it?s going to be tough, but we?re just looking forward to being at home and playing in front of them.

The Orioles rank 20th with an average attendance of 26,825 in their first 56 home games. That number is down from last year?s average of 29,374, due in part to unseasonably cold weather early in the season that knocked down turnout in April. In their last playoff season, 2014, the Orioles averaged 30,805 fans.

As Machado said, it's only a small decrease, especially considering the elements. But the Orioles? star infielder sees a reason why the team entered Tuesday 39-17 at Camden Yards best in the American League.

The fans that come, they give it to us, Machado said. They give it their all. That's why I guess we have one of the best home records of all time. It?s been down since years past, but whoever comes every day, they support us. They give us what we need, and we give it to them. We come out there and hit homers and drive in runs and win big games when we need to win big games. It?s been awesome.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bal-orioles-shuffle-defense-with-chris-davis-in-right-field-returning-steve-pearce-at-first-base-20160816-story.html

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess it varies team by team, in how much players thrive on the fans being there to support them. I see nothing wrong at all in what Manny is saying as it's proof that they do so much better at home. But it does make me wonder how teams such as the golden era Orioles teams were able to pull it off with the poor attendance they had at Memorial Stadium. Is it just a commentary on how the current crop of players were raised, being very conscious of the attendance and the game as a spectacle, whereas maybe it didn't really matter as much to the players of yesteryear? The comforts of the clubhouses are better now. They surely make more money and are probaly more "comfortable" in what they earn for a living. Is it just an indivdual psyche thing? I do want more folks at the ballpark as he says, though. It's a tight pennant race, we're going head to head with the hated Red Sox at home, the O's play far better at home than on the road. I get it. I want them to have every advantage they can get.

Orioles can do plenty of things to bring more people in, whether or not they will is up to them. They already know how many tickets are sold the rest of the way. The Jays play here in a couple of weeks on a Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. Perfect time for some ticket deals. School in back in all counties by then.

Orioles can do plenty of things to bring more people in, whether or not they will is up to them. They already know how many tickets are sold the rest of the way. The Jays play here in a couple of weeks on a Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. Perfect time for some ticket deals. School in back in all counties by then.

Exactly. It's all about the $$$. Introduce a few late season deals, like they did a couple years back, and you'll put more butts in seats.

From what I saw/heard last night the Orioles fans in Baltimore should be pretty ashamed of how Boston centric that crowd was. I know people are going to come out tell me I'm flat wrong and they were at the game and it was very loud for the Orioles, but perception was on the NESN feed that it was very pro Boston.

It would be embarrassing if the team isn't filling the stadium through a playoff push. Also, probably not the best advertisement for convincing a guy like Manny that it's where he wants to spend his next contract (long shot that it is).

Exactly. It's all about the $$$. Introduce a few late season deals, like they did a couple years back, and you'll put more butts in seats.

When I go to games or watch games on TV in the lower bowl you see more fans up underneath in LF then in LF lower box. Some sections in the club level no seats at all. It is all about prices. I would run deals that series as well as the Boston series later in September. They also start a series vs Tampa on a Thursday. Friday- Sunday games they can leave as is. The club should want as many fans in the stands down the stretch as possible.

It would be embarrassing if the team isn't filling the stadium through a playoff push. Also, probably not the best advertisement for convincing a guy like Manny that it's where he wants to spend his next contract (long shot that it is).

There is a pattern with Orioles fans. Weekend games like everywhere do better but weekday games struggle. Right or wrong it is what it is at this point and school will make things worse. The pricing tiers cause non season tickets holders to skip weekday games vs Boston due to prices.

Also for those going to the game like me tonight, protest near the Hyatt and Inner Harbor around 5:15.I don't think it will affect traffic that much. Just a heads up.

Third baseman Manny Machado made clear how important the fans will be as the team pushes for a playoff spot with a schedule heavy on home games. They're the best fans in the game, he said he just wants more of them at Camden Yards.

I mean, it's been a little down lately, Machado said. Hopefully with the pennant race coming up and us in first place, getting close to the playoffs, I think a little more fans could come and support and come help us out. We have the greatest fans in the world. Whenever they come out here and we get a sold out crowd, we feed off of that and that takes us to another level. Our fans are our biggest momentum and everything, so hopefully we can get more out here. I know school?s starting now, so it?s going to be tough, but we?re just looking forward to being at home and playing in front of them.

The Orioles rank 20th with an average attendance of 26,825 in their first 56 home games. That number is down from last year?s average of 29,374, due in part to unseasonably cold weather early in the season that knocked down turnout in April. In their last playoff season, 2014, the Orioles averaged 30,805 fans.

As Machado said, it's only a small decrease, especially considering the elements. But the Orioles? star infielder sees a reason why the team entered Tuesday 39-17 at Camden Yards best in the American League.

The fans that come, they give it to us, Machado said. They give it their all. That's why I guess we have one of the best home records of all time. It?s been down since years past, but whoever comes every day, they support us. They give us what we need, and we give it to them. We come out there and hit homers and drive in runs and win big games when we need to win big games. It?s been awesome.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bal-orioles-shuffle-defense-with-chris-davis-in-right-field-returning-steve-pearce-at-first-base-20160816-story.html

You bastard.

o

If Machado is coming out and saying that he wants more fans at the games, that sounds to me like Machado sees himself as an Orioles through and through ........ hence, that would appear to me that he has a vested interest in this team, and doesn't have eyes on jumping ship via free agency in 2019.

That's how I'm choosing to view it.

o

If Machado is coming out and saying that he wants more fans at the games, that sounds to me like Machado sees himself as an Orioles through and through ........ hence, that would appear to me that he doesn't have eyes on jumping ship via free agency in 2019.

I have no issue with what Manny said, nothing wrong at all.

o

If Machado is coming out and saying that he wants more fans at the games, that sounds to me like Machado sees himself as an Orioles through and through ........ hence, that would appear to me that he has a vested interest in this team, and doesn't have eyes on jumping ship via free agency in 2019.

I have no issue with what Manny said, nothing wrong at all.

Me neither.

In fact, I'm encouraged by it, for the reasons that I stated in my post.

Archived