No excuse for Reimold and Joseph getting key ABs

VeveJones007

I disagree with the premise of this thread. The most important thing for the O's at that point - with a 2-0 lead - was for the bullpen to finish the job. This was Wieter's day off, and it's important to give him that day off. And I'm not going to rely on a green MLB catcher to finish off the game. Besides, as some point it's up to Joseph to actually come through offensively. We know he's a poor hitter, but we also know he's not as bad as he's shown this year.

I don't know the exact change in win expectancy, but getting that 3rd run would have been huge. The Yankees had multiple ABs with a chance to tie in the 8th. They would not have had any had the O's scratched across that 3rd run.

Not pitch hitting for Joseph in the 7th was particularly egregious, but there's no good rationale for Reimold and Joseph continuing to get key ABs with rosters expanded.

Not pinch hitting for Joseph there is one of the worst decisions I can recall Buck making as manager of the O's.

If that's one of the worst decisions he's made, then he's doing pretty well. I wouldn't even classify it as a bad decision.

In that situation, you're already up by two -- you're not desperate for runs there. Really, scoring just one more run there is acceptable, and you figure even the worst hitter on your team has a good chance to drive in a run with a runner at third and nobody out.

I would've pinch-hit if the O's had been losing/tied, or if there were two outs. But I don't think that situation called for it.

You should add Pearce to this list...he has been terrible at the plate...reminds me of Adam Jones...swing at too many balls out of the strike zone.

Pearce has been very good the last 7 days. He is a valuable piece. I do think he should have been pinch hit for in the 8th though with no lefty up in the pen I would have went Kim. The time before was the right move though as they had a lefty in the pen ready.

Archived