David Ortiz

sevastras

o

Regarding PED's/steroids, a part of me feels like they should just let everybody use and take whatever they want ...... but then I don't want to hear it if and when they have health problems after their playing days are over as a result of it.

I think that this SNL skit was hilarious ........ it was one of my favorites.

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/c53d48a4a1/all-drug-olympics?_cc=__d___&_ccid=8d50ab7d-8bfc-47b9-8c1f-240e356f2f3e

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So weams often cites Bobby Grich's WAR as a way of poking fun at Derek Jeter. Similarly, David Ortiz is behind all of these players in career rWAR: Jeff Kent, Chet Lemon, Jim Wynn, Robin Ventura, Johnny Damon, Will Clark, Indian Bob Johnson, Bobby Bonds, John Olerud, Sammy Sosa, Darrell Evans, Dick Allen, Sherry Magee, Bobby Abreu, Keith Hernandez, Gary Sheffield, Jim Edmonds, Willie David, Robinson Cano, Pebbly Jack Glasscock, Ken Boyer, Andruw Jones, Chase Utley, Reggie Smith, Willie Randolph, Buddy Bell, Dwight Evans, Graig Nettles, Kenny Lofton, Edgar Martinez (fellow DH, and by 13 wins), Tim Raines, Scott Rolen, Carlos Beltran, Alan Trammell, Bobby Grich, Raffy, Larry Walker, Jim Thome (by almost 20 wins), and Lou Whitaker. Not to mention about 25 pitchers.

I say we make him wait in that line.

Ortiz's best skill is arguing every called pitch that doesn't go his way and never getting ejected for it. Actually, that's a Red Sox tradition, but he's the best at it. His second best skill is having the slowest home run trot in baseball. I'm surprised there's not a rule named after him to prevent this spectacle. He's also really good at not playing the field.

Going his entire career without ever taking a strike (well, at least in his mind) is a pretty great accomplishment.

And do you honestly believe that all those guys are better than David Ortiz?

I believe that almost all of them had more productive regular season careers, although many were spread out over longer periods. Remember Ortiz has played less than two full seasons in the field. He was excused from maybe 25% of the responsibilities of a typical player. People won't vote for Edgar Martinez for the Hall and he was both a better hitter and played more than twice as many innings with a glove.

If Ortiz were an Oriole, you would all love him. Listen to the younger players talk about him. He's like the Mayor of MLB. I don't know what he's on, and I hate the Sox with the fire of a thousand suns, but I guarantee if Ortiz had been an oriole for the past decade you would all be singing a different tune about him.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

If Ortiz were an Oriole, you would all love him. Listen to the younger players talk about him. He's like the Mayor of MLB. I don't know what he's on, and I hate the Sox with the fire of a thousand suns, but I guarantee if Ortiz had been an oriole for the past decade you would all be singing a different tune about him.

Of course we would. That's one of the benefits of being a sports fan, we get to pretend that the other guys are borderline evil and our guys a bastions of morality, freedom, and clean livin'. Ortiz sacrifices toddlers to Zuul, and Chris Davis is just an Opey Cunningham type who inadvertently made a little mistake with a medically necessary supplement.

I casually refer to Pedroia as the mole rat, but if he was an Oriole I'd have some kind of small altar to him.

Of course we would. That's one of the benefits of being a sports fan, we get to pretend that the other guys are borderline evil and our guys a bastions of morality, freedom, and clean livin'. Ortiz sacrifices toddlers to Zuul, and Chris Davis is just an Opey Cunningham type who inadvertently made a little mistake with a medically necessary supplement.

I casually refer to Pedroia as the mole rat, but if he was an Oriole I'd have some kind of small altar to him.

I've always respected Pedroia even though he has killed us over the years. Great player, always hustles, and from interviews seems like a genuinely good guy. Ortiz outside of the cheating, has always seemed like an attention hog. He's done good things for Boston, but it always seems to be motivated by his own self promotion.

So weams often cites Bobby Grich's WAR as a way of poking fun at Derek Jeter. Similarly, David Ortiz is behind all of these players in career rWAR: Jeff Kent, Chet Lemon, Jim Wynn, Robin Ventura, Johnny Damon, Will Clark, Indian Bob Johnson, Bobby Bonds, John Olerud, Sammy Sosa, Darrell Evans, Dick Allen, Sherry Magee, Bobby Abreu, Keith Hernandez, Gary Sheffield, Jim Edmonds, Willie David, Robinson Cano, Pebbly Jack Glasscock, Ken Boyer, Andruw Jones, Chase Utley, Reggie Smith, Willie Randolph, Buddy Bell, Dwight Evans, Graig Nettles, Kenny Lofton, Edgar Martinez (fellow DH, and by 13 wins), Tim Raines, Scott Rolen, Carlos Beltran, Alan Trammell, Bobby Grich, Raffy, Larry Walker, Jim Thome (by almost 20 wins), and Lou Whitaker. Not to mention about 25 pitchers.

I say we make him wait in that line.

Put Bobby in first or keep Jeter out.

You don't find it a bit odd that nearly 1 in 10 MLB players are using this drug?

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2015/12/01/mlb-joint-drug-report-therapeutic-use-exemptions-adderall/76634278/

What's the percentage among the general population? Or even better, the percentage among 20-40 year old males? The US does spend something like 18% of GDP on medical stuff.

Edit: Google "percentage of US population on antidepressant" and the first link that comes up says 8-10%. Substitute antidepressant for ADHD and the first link that comes up says 11% of US children have it and could potentially be treated with something like Adderall.

While Ortiz is roundly hated by fans in most places outside New England and the DR, he also seems to be very popular among players league-wide. This from my limited view of pre-game consorting and all-star competitions. His reputations for being either a jocular teddy bear or an arrogant angry ogre may both be well deserved. People be complicated.

What's the percentage among the general population? Or even better, the percentage among 20-40 year old males? The US does spend something like 18% of GDP on medical stuff.

Edit: Google "percentage of US population on antidepressant" and the first link that comes up says 8-10%. Substitute antidepressant for ADHD and the first link that comes up says 11% of US children have it and could potentially be treated with something like Adderall.

I don't see any difference between steroids and Adderal. If you can't concentrate enough to hit a baseball well without drugs how is that different than taking steroids? The steroid user doesn't have enough muscle to hit the ball without steroids. Both drugs to increase performance. If you want to take them in your personal life and you have a prescription fine but you dont' get to play baseball.

I don't see any difference between steroids and Adderal. If you can't concentrate enough to hit a baseball well without drugs how is that different than taking steroids? The steroid user doesn't have enough muscle to hit the ball without steroids. Both drugs to increase performance. If you want to take them in your personal life and you have a prescription fine but you dont' get to play baseball.

Waaaait a minute...I'm starting to think there's a possibility that you don't have a medical degree.

Waaaait a minute...I'm starting to think there's a possibility that you don't have a medical degree.

You mean like the people with medical degrees who used to routinely give people lobotomies. Or the heart surgeon who was telling everyone they needed stents put in to pad his bank account. Or the Doctor telling people they had cancer and giving them Chemo because he wanted to make some money off of them. Never mind they didn't have cancer. I went to the doctor once and came out with samples for 8 different prescription medicines. If you think doctors are only prescribing whats good for you check out how many people are addicted to prescription pain killers.

Archived